• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got a Vol. 1 Amazing Spider-man for 10 bucks

6 posts in this topic

My girlfriend surprized me with a present today. Behind my back she had gone on ebay and had bidded on a copy of a VOl. 1 Amazing Spider-man #9, and had won it for 10 bucks +shipping.

Hearing how much it cost her, I wasn't suprized to see the condition of the cover as poor. Though the cover and the back cover were intact....the front cover from the middle to the top are missing.

What really suprized me was when I lookd at the inside. This book on the inside does not look like it's almost 40 years old. It looked like one of my F to VF 1980s Uncanny X-men comics.

I just know if this front cover were still whole this comic would be a Fine at least, maybe even a Very fine.

I just started collecting Silver Age stuff, and I'm happy to even have a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #9, but mannnnnnnnnnn if that cover were complete.

I've heard of marrying a comic, do any of you think it's worth trying to accomplish and if I succeed then getting it Slabbed for a restored grade?

If I tuned in this comic right now, would the comic get an overall grade of POOR because of the cover or would they give the inside a separate grade?

Thanks. rantpost.gif

I don't consider myself an expert on restoration, "qualified grades" from CGC, or slabbing in general, for that matter. But I think I can ballpark this one pretty safely.

Getting the cover restored to something resembling its original state would probably run you $200 or more. Getting it slabbed will cost you at least $40, with shipping to and from, etc.

Once the comic is slabbed and has the 'restored' label, most collectors will only pay maybe 20% of the "apparent grade," if that. So the comic would have to come back from CGC as an "apparent VF" for you to have a chance at 'breaking even' on it.

Given all of that, you might be better off spending $100 on a Fair to GD- copy of the same book...?

My girlfriend surprized me with a present today. Behind my back she had gone on ebay and had bidded on a copy of a VOl. 1 Amazing Spider-man #9, and had won it for 10 bucks +shipping.

Hearing how much it cost her, I wasn't suprized to see the condition of the cover as poor. Though the cover and the back cover were intact....the front cover from the middle to the top are missing.

What really suprized me was when I lookd at the inside. This book on the inside does not look like it's almost 40 years old. It looked like one of my F to VF 1980s Uncanny X-men comics.

I just know if this front cover were still whole this comic would be a Fine at least, maybe even a Very fine.

I just started collecting Silver Age stuff, and I'm happy to even have a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #9, but mannnnnnnnnnn if that cover were complete.

I've heard of marrying a comic, do any of you think it's worth trying to accomplish and if I succeed then getting it Slabbed for a restored grade?

If I tuned in this comic right now, would the comic get an overall grade of POOR because of the cover or would they give the inside a separate grade?

Thanks. rantpost.gif

Why slab it as a poor when you can keep it raw as a great gift?

Why slab it as a poor when you can keep it raw as a great gift?

I agree, keep the girly happy !! Keep it raw, and if you like the book so much, buy a copy slabbed, show the girly ,keep them as a pair , she will be impressed by the asumption that you trust her bidding prowlness. You are in for a great night !!

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

To heck with the book! Get your girlfriend graded! I guarantee she will come back at LEAST a Super Pristine Gemstone Mint 15!

Keep the book as is. Cherish it as a reflection of having a girlfriend who would actually DO this. Read it and thing of her when you are apart. Remember your thoughts of her when you are together.

Some guys have all the luck!