• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis' Grading

81 posts in this topic

I bought an Our Fighting Forces 49 in 9.0 that I think would get a 7.5 maybe 8.0. B&B 25 in VF+ I think that would probably be a 7.0 a t best. and an Unexpected 110 solicited as NM+ that look s like maybe a 9.2.

Got a scan of the B&B #25?????? 893crossfingers-thumb.gifcloud9.gif

I do not have one but I'll try to find the book and scan it tonight.

Here is tatterdamillion's copy, which is right up there with Aman319's as the nicest copy I've ever seen: hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

BB25.jpg

I recently received an order from Metropolis and generally found the grading to be loose by a quarter grade across the board. The worst was an advertised 9.8 that was just a marginal 9.4/9.2 (and which I paid 2.5 times Guide for).

So am I going to be sending back these books in outrage?

No, because no other dealer stocks them (ever), and I've been looking for years through the normal outlets. Besides, they look very nice in Mylar and are now permanent parts of my collection, which is where they are going to sit for a long time.

I understand and accept the premium I have to pay for these books and can stomach the less then CGC-level of grading strictness.

I recently received an order from Metropolis and generally found the grading to be loose by a quarter grade across the board. The worst was an advertised 9.8 that was just a marginal 9.4/9.2 (and which I paid 2.5 times Guide for).

No, because no other dealer stocks them (ever), and I've been looking for years through the normal outlets. Besides, they look very nice in Mylar and are now permanent parts of my collection, which is where they are going to sit for a long time.

I understand and accept the premium I have to pay for these books and can stomach the less then CGC-level of grading strictness.

Just think what you would have saved if you had paid the 9.2/9.4 price instead of the 9.8.

Just think what you would have saved if you had paid the 9.2/9.4 price instead of the 9.8.

Its a $30 book in the guide, and I paid $62. (so 2x guide, not 2.5x..I was working off of last year's guide value). So percentage-wise, I overpaid, but in real dollar terms, I'm pretty happy to just get a decent copy for just $60.

Its a $30 book in the guide, and I paid $62. (so 2x guide, not 2.5x..I was working off of last year's guide value). So percentage-wise, I overpaid, but in real dollar terms, I'm pretty happy to just get a decent copy for just $60.

thumbsup2.gif figured you were buying an FF 1 or something

They will send you one on grade and two or three that are not. They need to face reality since if you overgrade and you are that big there, is nowhere to hide in outer space or on this forum............................The perfect grader is Superworld comics. Ted is the best guy in the business.

They will send you one on grade and two or three that are not. They need to face reality since if you overgrade and you are that big there, is nowhere to hide in outer space or on this forum............................The perfect grader is Superworld comics. Ted is the best guy in the business.

Ted is one of the top five friendliest dealers in the business, but he's not even close to being the best grader. I don't even think he would say he was. I've purchased from almost all of the significant dealers and Doug Sulipa has been far and away the most consistently accurate in terms of grading.

Doug is the best out there. He is also a great fan with vast knowledge and easy to talk to. I know his pricing is very aggressive but I have only been upset with one book out of literally a hundred or so. He has lots of stuff in stock but has few in high grade pre78. I do wish the website was better though.

I basically write him a $200 check every month. Yeah, I could find stuff cheaper elsewhere but I get sick of having to make returns and ordering a 9.4 book and it is really only a 8.5. With Doug I get what I order every single time.

Who is Doug???

He is part of the tandom of Bob and Doug Mckenzie of the great white north.

Coo roo coo coo coo coo coo coooooooo.

Coo roo coo coo coo coo coo coooooooo.

SCTV was the best.

Doug is Doug Sulipa. His site is on the dealers lists in the gold and silver forums.

Doug is the best out there. He has lots of stuff in stock but has few in high grade pre78.

Doug is definitly one of the best, but like you say he has few high grade books that are pre78. Is this because of his strict grading, or is there something about crossing the US/Canada border that naturally brings a books grade down? confused-smiley-013.gif

Doug is the best out there. He has lots of stuff in stock but has few in high grade pre78.

Doug is definitly one of the best, but like you say he has few high grade books that are pre78. Is this because of his strict grading, or is there something about crossing the US/Canada border that naturally brings a books grade down? confused-smiley-013.gif

That hasn't been my experience. I've bought several books from Doug that were high grade pre-1978. What helps is if you're a repeat customer and he knows you like books like that. He'll give you a heads up when new collections come in. At this point, after 30+ years in the business and a great reputation for grading, Doug's primo books don't last long when he gets them in the door -- but he does get them. You just have to be proactive about letting him know what you're looking for, and ask him to call or email you when he gets a new collection in.

I remember him saying once in a market report that he has an EXTENSIVE base of want list customers that gobble up his silver high grade.I would suggest getting on board that way.He might surprise you.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

I e-mailed doug awhile back inquiring about a scan of a defenders 10, but I never heard back from him. Is he usually slow to respond?

-Chris

No, he's usually pretty quick, but he can get backed up and miss an email every once in a while. I'm also not sure if he sends scans. Just call him and ask him about the book. If you're concerned about possible date stamps, writing, miswraps, color fading, etc., tell him that on the phone and ask him what the main defects are. He'll tell you. Once you're satisfied that the book doesn't have anything like a date stamp that will bother you, you can pretty much take the grade he tells you to the bank.