• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is anyone REALLY slabbing Warrens and Skywalds?

33 posts in this topic

Just a general question which probably has been posted before, but are people really slabbing their better Warrens and Skywalds or are they just waiting, like me? I was reading the commentaries in OPG and it said hardly anyone is willing to justify the higher price of the book and the slab cost.

Just a general question which probably has been posted before, but are people really slabbing their better Warrens and Skywalds or are they just waiting, like me? I was reading the commentaries in OPG and it said hardly anyone is willing to justify the higher price of the book and the slab cost.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know about that, but the real money is in Original Art. You should buy! BUY! BUY!!!!! Do it before the market explodes!!!!! $$$$$$ makepoint.gif

tongue.gif .....sorry, just had a K.K. moment there.......carry on. sorry.gif

devil.gif

I don't see the purpose in slabbing a book unless it is extremely rare. I still don't get why people pay huge $$ for current high grade comics, it makes no sense tome....plus you can't read them anymore.

I don't see the purpose in slabbing a book unless it is extremely rare. I still don't get why people pay huge $$ for current high grade comics, it makes no sense tome....plus you can't read them anymore.
Yes , I agree, but what if they were high grade Warrens/Skywalds?

I am also a "collector" which means I have read every book I own and like to look at them again sometimes. My outlook is also not to slab unless selling. I was just wondering if it was time to slab some of them, and I also wanted to see what others were thinking.

I am also a "collector" which means I have read every book I own and like to look at them again sometimes. My outlook is also not to slab unless selling. I was just wondering if it was time to slab some of them, and I also wanted to see what others were thinking.

I have not gotten any of my mags slabbed as of yet but am considering it. Keep in mind another reason to slab other than to sell is if you have a really pristine copy of a tough book, (ie. black cover) some of these Skywalds are HTF without spine stresses or finger prints. Consider slabbing that one and buying yourself a reader copy.

More and more collectors are starting to collect magazine. Most will start with Warren's and Marvel's. It's going to take a little bit of time but as more and more core comic collectors start getting into the world of mags, I think that the more "collector & investor" centric buyers will realize that there is far less supply of High Grade Skywalds, Eerie Pub, Stanley's, etc and will see that as a sweet spot for getting some truly scarce stuff in HG. It's all a patience thing.

If you have a raw, NM 9.4 any copy of Psycho, Nightmare, Scream, etc you will probably get $40-$100 for that book with the current market on eBay. If you got that book slabbed and it received a NM 9.4, then you would probably get $60-200 (earlier and later issues possibly more)

Now if you have a raw, NM+ 9.6 of any of the titles above you may get around $60-$150 provided that your scans are large and good (bobcat was selling some NM & NM+ Raw Skywalds about 2 years ago, and they were going between $100-$200). If you got a NM 9.6 Skywald Slabbed, then depending on the book you could probably get $150-$400. The #1-3 Copies of Psycho and Nightmare would push the higher end of that range, with a 9.6 #1 of Psycho or Nightmare probably pushing beyond that.

Ultimately it's tough to tell, because there hasn't been enough supply of HG Skywalds out there to get an accurate price history. But based off of HG Raw prices I've seen as stated above, A Scream #1 NM 9.4 go for about $400, some 9.6 1971 Eerie Pubs go for $250-$450, I think that the 9.4 and 9.6 graded copies of these more obscure publishers will bring the good money. Note though...you do have to find your buyers sometimes to realize good prices!

-bounty

893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know about that, but the real money is in Original Art. You should buy! BUY! BUY!!!!! Do it before the market explodes!!!!! $$$$$$ makepoint.gif

tongue.gif .....sorry, just had a K.K. moment there.......carry on. sorry.gif

devil.gif

It's funny because I was flipping through my 18th Edition Overstreet and even back then the articles were talking about the OA market about to "explode"

You'd think that in 20 years it might have exploded a little more than crackled! sign-offtopic.gif

yay.gif

I don't slab my Vampirella's unless I have duplicate's, then I slab the high grade copies. So far I only slabbed two. I can't afford any of the OA Vampirella anymore. That stuff has shot through the roof!

well if your not going to slab them I will, I am working on Scream 1-11 and Vampirella 1-10

and Web of Horror 1-3. The G.P.A. Justifies a reason to slab your High grade mags. On Comic Link a Scream #1 9.4 has a bid for $500. My goal is not to sell the mags but to win one of those set awards from CGC on the registry.