• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your most valueable comic?

60 posts in this topic

It was widely reported during the summer of 2001 that the owner of the Mile High Action 1 was offered $2,000,000 cash and turned it down...

My most valuable book is a Funnybook 1 in NM+, soon headed to CGC... Mmmmm... Cherry Poptart.... grin.gif

Amazing Fantasy 15 UNSLABBED (probably anywhere from 5.0 to 7.0)

I want to be able to read the books in my personal collection from time to time and use it a source of info for the web-site.

I DO have an ASM 101 CGC 2.5 (included in a lot) - Dont all come calling now wink.gif

Eric

Supapimp,

Thank you very much for the kind words and stars!:)

Its really a work of "love" and patience rather than hard work though, and the email I receive "pushes" me even more, making friends from all over the world...It's amazing (no pun intended) how Spider-Man is so widely recognized in other countries,

Eric

Bonds,

Trust me, I dont sit down with milk and cookies reading it smile.gif

I bought it in 1985 while in college for $150. It was a birthday present from my parents. I would never willfully sell it unless I upgraded it.

Plus the closest reprint to the actual comic is the AF15 Milestone edition and THAT is about 98% accurate. A MT 137 or the like wont do it for me smile.gif ,

Eric

The worst mistake I made but I had no way of buying it back then as I was only 17

ACTION#1 in NM condition offered to me by Joe Mannarino for $29,000!!! in 1986.

My father did not want to buy it as who would believe a kid for such an investment!!!

.........whose father has US$29,000 rolling around to give his kid for anything, unless it's a college education? Your father must be very wealthy indeed.

"Dad, can you buy me this comic. It's only US$29,000!!!"

Uh-huh....

By the way, it would have been nice if all you people had included what you considered to be the value of the comic you consider your costliest. For us rubes, it is not really something that we could know off the top of our heads. Consider going back and editing that in?

Mark in Taiwan

I collect mostly "key" books from the silver & bronze age. which include

[*]hulk 181

[*]GIANT-SIZE X-MEN #1 (3 COPIES)

[*]X-MEN 94

[*]AMAZING SPIDERMAN 12,17,33,50,96-100,122,129

[*]FANTASTIC FOUR #48 (2COPIES)

[*]MARVEL TEAM-UP COMPLETE RUN

11,000 BOOKS IN ALL AND HAVE MANY COMPLETE RUNS SUBMARINER,IRONMAN,TOMB OF DRACULA,WEREWOLF BY NIGHT ETC....

True, Cap and Marvel have fetched high prices, but I was refering to a scarcity rather than record sales. Captain America # 1 and Marvel Comics # 1 (nov) are much more common. There are many reputable dealers who are offering $1,000.000.00 for Action # 1 9.4 (three in Overstreet) but there have been no sellers - there have been quite a few GD-VG's though.. the MH is restored. The True rare book is Detective Comics 27. The Allentown Detectives 33,38 are very sharp too..

? then why label your list "most valuable?" if you meant "rare" (or whatever it is that you mean?)

As for the $1,000,000 offer.... there's a reason there are no sellers- there is no proof that such a book exists. Which is why I'm quite comfortable to offer (oh man, the price keeps rising- mudbuddha is a high roller!) $5,000,000 for an unrestored NM 9.4 Action 1(and not a color-touched blue label either, by the way)

To my mind, these offers for books that may or may not exist is nothing more than not-so-clever advertising.

Most of the comics collectors in France only collect french comics (us comics were translated during 1969-now). Some old french comics can be very expensive (like the famous "STRANGE #1" dated january 1970 that contains X-MEN #1, IRON-MAN #1, DAREDEVIL #1 and SILVER SURFER #1) but not so expensive than original us comics. I think there is only a few like me that collect high grade us silver/bronze books... One other point is that there is not such a tough grading system here. Books can be graded as MINT, NEAR MINT, FINE, VERY GOOD & POOR.

Personnaly i prefer collect us comics because of censorship in France during 20 years. Most of the french comics were retouched here... If you're interested in this matter have a look at this page: ROM in France

and this one:

Censorship in Conan

That's all for now,

Dave

The Mile High is only VF 8.0. That's hi cgc, last time I checked. Is there a better book than the Mile High?

That Mile High is the most valuable book I've ever been in the presence of, by the way,- by a wide margin. It looked a lot nicer than VF 8.0 although, as you can imagine, I didn't exactly have the opportunity to pore over it looking for flaws...

I've never seen a nicer one than the Mile High, and I don't know anyone else who has either.

The Mile High copy has some problems on the insides - several tears in pages, etc that keep it from grading higher. Still a very nice looking book.

makes sense. I saw it after Bechara bought it- before CGC- and the way I remember it it was more like VF/NM (and a really pretty VF/NM at that.) I was surprised when I found out recently that the VF 8.0 in the census was his book.

I still have a very sharp mental image of that book...