• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The best and cheapest way to preserve comics?

13 posts in this topic

I've got a variety of different poly bags/boards and mylar. The thick mylar seem to be pinching the books... making them dificult to remove and they place stress on the cover so that a faint line (the real meat of the comic) is showing. The thin poly and mylar let the books get corner wear and rubbing.

Each time I pull these books in and out, I worry about damage to the spine.

Other than spending a zillion dollars to get all my books graded (CGC cases) can someone please tell me the best way to preserve comics at reasonable cost.

I thank you greatly in advance.

Nesta

What brand and what size are the Mylars? Or did they come with comics you bought from someone else and you're not sure? And what kinds of books are you trying to put into those mylars--Gold, Silver, Bronze, or Modern?

I always bag and board at one size larger than the comic I'm protecting. All my moderns are in Silver bags with Silver boards, for example. Of course, most of my stuff's just in cheap Wizard acid-free polybags (I have a stack of 50 mylar in half modern, half silver sizes just sitting empty on top of my cabinets because I can't use them in my file drawers).

Mine are mostly Silver age and some magazines.... and its quite the random assortment of mylar/poly/WTF that I have going.

Doesn't anyone make a holder like the CGC holder but cheap?

Doesn't anyone make a holder like the CGC holder but cheap?

Not that I've ever seen. There was an older holder called a "Fortress" that I can't find for sale anymore, but it wasn't cheap. I store my Silver Age inside of E. Gerber Standard-sized Mylite2s double-bagged into E. Gerber Silver/Gold-sized 4-mil mylars.

Either one is fine for comic storage. What is really gonna hurt you is the shipping. Maybe not so much for the bags, but if you order back-boards as well, be prepared to get raped on shipping! The boards are pretty heavy.

I ordered 100 Mylite2's and 100 Fullbacks from Gerber around Xmas time. Shipping was over $20, and I live in MD!!!!! Next time, i think I'll just make the drive myself. 893frustrated.gif

Chris

I always bag and board at one size larger than the comic I'm protecting. All my moderns are in Silver bags with Silver boards, for example. Of course, most of my stuff's just in cheap Wizard acid-free polybags (I have a stack of 50 mylar in half modern, half silver sizes just sitting empty on top of my cabinets because I can't use them in my file drawers).

I do the same (using mylars). A lot easier to maneuver the books and less compression and possible stress on the occasional tighter-fitting book. And they look good too.