• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan cover gallery, show off your cover.

18 posts in this topic

IS there a site that shows all the Conan Magazine covers? I think the Conan magazines have amazing covers, much better then the comics.

thanks to AARDVARK FOR THE INFO...here is the link to all the covers if anyone wants to check them out. Feel free to show your favorites here.

http://www.comics.org/covers.lasso?SeriesID=2187

BTW I am currently trying to buy some conan mags so feel free to PM me if you have sme.

They are painted...not drawn and colored. And....that makes a big difference. If you like the Conan covers, you might enjoy some of the old Dell/Gold Key Turoks. Also, the Spanish versions of Turok have painted covers of their own as well. They are for sale on e-bay periodically and very collectable.

I like the babe on this one. hm, image doesn't really do the cover justice though.

Very reminiscent of those old men's adventure magazine covers that Norem used to do. Maybe too much so, in fact - it's almost as if he retouched one of his older paintings to create this cover (and a couple of his other covers from the series as well)!

IMHO, the Boris cover to #7 stands as far and away the best cover of the series; his covers to #9 and #12 are also exceptional except that Conan is facing away in both. There are several Norem covers that would make the top 10 IMHO...I own the original to #55 which I think is one of the strongest covers artistically from the series. :cloud9:

For Conan cover completists, you might be interested in the UK editions of Savage Sword of Conan, published from 1977 to the early 1980s. (Not to be confused with the earlier UK weekly mag of the same name, which ran for 18 issues and repinted Conan the Barbarian.)

They always reprinted the original US mag covers, though some issues reduced the actual size of the image within the cover design. The covers don't always match the story contents, though. Later issues also featured red Sonja, Kull, Solomon Kane and others.

The best was #1, which reproduced the cover of the original SSOC #4, but also came with a free glossy pull-out poster of the cover for #9, which has another beautifully-painted young woman in a thong! Both are two of Boris Vallejo's best Conan covers.

A pic of the cover for UK #1 can be found here:

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/savageswordmonthly.htm

The US-based eBay seller discodadda normally has some UK SSOC mags for sale.

I know there are plenty of other foreign reprints out there, but at least these are in English!

I definitely think that as the original title went on, the covers got poorer, and the only artist who breathed much life into them was Earl Norem. (Compare Norem's #167 and 168 with the appaling cover for #169). I'm definitely a bronze age-artist fan. The best covers overall have to be those by Boris, my faves are The Tree of Death on #5, and the cover for #12.

Warren