• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM HOM 256

9 posts in this topic

I picked this book up a few months back and just loved the Wrightson cover. The seller sold it to me as a NM, which I really think it is. I was looking at the census today and saw that there are just three copies of this book that are slabbed. One is a 9.2 and two are 8.5's. I realize that this is an eighty-page square bound book, but it was published in 1978 and I thought there would be lots of slabbed copies. Is it that common that people don't bother to slab this book? Or, just the opposite, is it so hard to come by in HG that there aren't that many nice copies out there? I don't recall seeing this book for sale very often. Anyway, what do you think of this copy?

1248490-HOM256.jpg

1248490-HOM256.jpg.2776e530ce82f499b9f97b780460fe94.jpg

You would think that the community would know by now that the "cat is out of the bag"--- that there are HG collectors (like myself) willing to pay decent money for a solid HG CGC example. That said, I personally think my copy looks as good and it was only graded 8.5....I think the ncbc at the top is what killed it. This issue and 203 are the only CGC 8.5s in my collection....and the only issue I have lower than that is a HOS #4 7.0 and HOS #13 8.0.

I think you are holding a 8.5 or 9.0 (leaning towards the 8.5). I see at least three cbcs in the spine, a soft LLC corner and a bit of roughage at the top. I don't think CGC would slam the bindery as I have a 9.6 with the same condition. I definitely think it is a keeper!

I think the slight dimension changes on these dollar giants (with mylars/bags being slightly smaller) is creating a condition where these books are getting damaged at the top, hence the possibility of some perceived scarcity.

My copy

I was thinking along the lines of a 9.0 myself, but after seeing Sterling's copy, I don't know. Maybe leaning more towards the 8.5 ("not that there's anything wrong with that.")

So, who ownes the lone 9.2 copy out there? It wouldn't be that "dollar book" collector that keeps showing up on the boards from time to time, would it?

I don't know if it applies to all dollar size books 1977-1980, but as far as the horror and war titles go, there are particular issues that are seemingly impossible to find in the 9s. I wouldn't cry over an 8.5 on that book... it's a nice copy!

Shep