• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where will the original comic art market be in 20 years? Predictions anyone?

118 posts in this topic

About 7-12 months ago I started to get interested in OA. I didn't buy my first piece until 2 months ago. All the time before I the time spent before I bought my first piece I spent looking and watching OA. I wanted to educate myself not only on pricing a bit but really wanted to get a feel for what I would like. I was not about to rush into OA and dump all the cash I could afford and 2 years latter have a bunch of stuff I really didn't like. I wanted choice pieces of OA that I would appreciate not only tomorrow but 5 years from know.

It seems to me that there is a trend of people moving to OA in the past year and I have a gut feeling that this is only going to esculate. For me the decision to get into OA was simple, why spend $600+ on a cgc9.6 bronze when for double that I may be able to get a nice splash or cover of that issue. As more and more people relize this I see the OA community growing until one of 2 things happens.

1) OA prices climb with the growing demand and creat a new entry point

2) High grade comic prices drop and less people leave that part of the market.

I'm new this OA stuff so what the heck do I know.

So what'd you buy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Welcome to the hobby!!!!

What do you collect Lucky? Any Scans?

I already asked this. 'Lucky' posted a reply, in which he talked about being a sanctuary-seeker in a Naples Monastery (or something to that effect), then he quickly deleted his message. To be honest, his response sounded a bit on the krazy side . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

I am a reformed cantor in a synagogue in Naples, Florida. I took it down after I posted it because I really dont like putting my personal information on the net. I didnt realize anyone saw that! I dont know web-design so dont have a web page. I collect Toth, McCay, and supero hero art!

Exactly. Putting the "investment"(ugh) angle aside, it has always baffled me that collectors can have such passion towards certain characters, artists, or era's, yet show no understanding or respect to other collectors who have the same amount of passion for DIFFERENT characters, artists or era's. It's pathetic, really. People say that non-collectors don't understand this hobby, or give us a hard time about it, but the only insults or mockery I have EVER received for buying/collecting anything have been from fellow collectors, the people that should be the MOST understanding as to why I collect, regardless of personal tastes. It's sad that some people are so insecure that they have to beat everyone over the head about what they collect, and why it's "superior".

So true, and thank you for saying it. When I show my collection, or discuss it with people outside the hobby, more often than not I'm met with polite interest, whether or not they actually like the art I show them. Not once has anyone come down on me for my interests. So it's sad and disappointing that so many BSD's regard modern art collectors with a mixture of disdain and contempt, as if modern art is a blight on the hobby. Now this certainly isn't true of all Kirby/Ditko/Romita/etc collectors, or even most of them...I like to think it's actually only a small handful of 'em...but this is generally the area it seems to come from the most. I can look at the works of these "classic" artists, and my reaction ranges from enjoyment to indifference, but I simply don't have any desire to own any of it. I don't begrudge other collectors their interest, though, and certainly can understand and respect their affection for this artwork. On the other hand, though, when roles are reversed, it seems that some not only totally disregard modern art as having any merit, but also seem to be of the opinion that the fact that us modern collectors buy what we do stems from a combination of bad taste or ignorance, coupled with not being able to afford "the good stuff". Parts of this hobby are very elitist, which is sad. It's not a pi ssing contest, and to be honest, not everything is about money, or who has the better bankroll. To many of us modern collectors, it truly is just about the art itself, and what makes us happy. And it should be pointed out that, at one time, Ditko and Kirby were "modern" artists as well. Christo_pull_hair.gif

If anything, with the way this hobby is growing, I'd think everyone would be HAPPY that there are so many collectors with diverse/divergent interests, since it results in less competition! I, for one, am THRILLED that up to this point, most other collectors seem to ignore the material I'm most interested in.

OK, sorry for the rant.

I dont know web-design so dont have a web page. I collect Toth, McCay, and supero hero art!

Comic Art Fans

It's free to sign up, doesn't require a lick of web-designing, and you can have images up in 2 shakes.

If you can email and post you can have a Comic Art Fans gallery...it's just that easy. So show us your stuff. We are junkies for it.

Chris

About 7-12 months ago I started to get interested in OA. I didn't buy my first piece until 2 months ago. All the time before I the time spent before I bought my first piece I spent looking and watching OA. I wanted to educate myself not only on pricing a bit but really wanted to get a feel for what I would like. I was not about to rush into OA and dump all the cash I could afford and 2 years latter have a bunch of stuff I really didn't like. I wanted choice pieces of OA that I would appreciate not only tomorrow but 5 years from know.

It seems to me that there is a trend of people moving to OA in the past year and I have a gut feeling that this is only going to esculate. For me the decision to get into OA was simple, why spend $600+ on a cgc9.6 bronze when for double that I may be able to get a nice splash or cover of that issue. As more and more people relize this I see the OA community growing until one of 2 things happens.

1) OA prices climb with the growing demand and creat a new entry point

2) High grade comic prices drop and less people leave that part of the market.

I'm new this OA stuff so what the heck do I know.

So what'd you buy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Welcome to the hobby!!!!

What do you collect Lucky? Any Scans?

I already asked this. 'Lucky' posted a reply, in which he talked about being a sanctuary-seeker in a Naples Monastery (or something to that effect), then he quickly deleted his message. To be honest, his response sounded a bit on the krazy side . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

I am a reformed cantor in a synagogue in Naples, Florida. I took it down after I posted it because I really dont like putting my personal information on the net. I didnt realize anyone saw that! I dont know web-design so dont have a web page. I collect Toth, McCay, and supero hero art!

Oops, reformed cantor in a synagogue in Naples, Florida it was (care to explain that one?).

Maybe you could simply list some of the stuff you have, specifically? From one of the other threads, you display a deep-found knowledge about where some of the key ASM covers reside. So, by that token, I don't think it's an unreasonable request to ask the kind of stuff, specifically, you own (as opposed to sweeping generalizations like, "I collect super-hero art.")?

I wondered if LuckCantor wasn't a Cantor instead of singer. Glad to know. Please share with us, Lucky, some of the types of Art and comics you like to collect. You never know, there might be something you are looking for around the corner.

Sounds to me like you guys are trying (with not much subtlety I might add tongue.gif) to figure out if Lucky = Krazy since Krazy would never show his stuff. Just ask the man directly stooges.gif

Just ask the man directly

Great idea...because that has had stellar results in the past. thumbsup2.gif

I don't think the suspicion lies in the refusal to show art, but in almost every post being about predictions on auction amounts, and predictions for investment, and an occasional link to a fine art auction and the inevitable comparison.

More Red flags than May Day in China.....

Chris

Chris

hehe, good point, although what I was getting at is that all you have right now is a somewhat shaky suspicion. My thoughts are that it wouldn't hurt to give the guy the benefit of the doubt or at least ask what he collects in general without the Spanish Inquisition treatment confused-smiley-013.gif (To be fair that's more of a comment to trent than you). Whatever. It's a small point and as you say the red flags are there. Your post was actually pretty well worded as on the surface it's just a fan asking another fan for pics. If he politely refuses its just one more red flag. In tandem with trent though I could just see the lynch mob setting up before there was any real need for it smile.gif Personally my crystal ball sees a good chance of a banning in the near future wink.gif Although it would be cool if Lucky was not Krazy.

Sounds to me like you guys are trying (with not much subtlety I might add tongue.gif) to figure out if Lucky = Krazy since Krazy would never show his stuff. Just ask the man directly stooges.gif

Okay, so I'm as subtle as a sledge-hammer . . . or a ton of bricks tonofbricks.gif

Chris

hehe, good point, although what I was getting at is that all you have right now is a somewhat shaky suspicion. My thoughts are that it wouldn't hurt to give the guy the benefit of the doubt or at least ask what he collects in general without the Spanish Inquisition treatment confused-smiley-013.gif (To be fair that's more of a comment to trent than you).

In tandem with trent though I could just see the lynch mob setting up before there was any real need for it smile.gif Personally my crystal ball sees a good chance of a banning in the near future wink.gif Although it would be cool if Lucky was not Krazy.

Actually, Bronty, here was my initial post regarding Lucky:

"As a matter of interest, Mr LuckyCantor, tell us a little about yourself . . . who you are . . . what you collect . . . a link to an on-line Gallery, etc.

You've made a lot of posts in a short few days . . .and I'm kinda intrigued who you are?"

What, exactly, are you likening - here - to the 'Spanish Inquisition' treatment?

I make no accusations, just express curiosity through polite questionning.

As for 'Lynch Mobs', I'm advocating nothing along those lines. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ehhh. It was the other post asking for a specific list of assets I was referring to, but whatever. We're wasting too much breath on this. Obviously inquisition was an overzealous choice of words - I meant no insult flowerred.gif Bottom line if he's Krazy it will show soon enough.

umm...you guys all realize he can see your conversation about him, right?

Not exactly subtle...

And even if he IS Krazy Kat...well, at least he was a lot less blatant this time...and while he started this thread, he didn't beat us over the head with his own opinion. It was a pretty decent conversation until all of this Krazy talk hijacked the thread.

Not exactly subtle...

And even if he IS Krazy Kat...well, at least he was a lot less blatant this time...and while he started this thread, he didn't beat us over the head with his own opinion. It was a pretty decent conversation until all of this Krazy talk hijacked the thread.

Very true. It was pretty obvious from the start that this was a new KK id, but the fact that he was engaging in interesting art based discussions, rather that his usual shiiite made it worth overlooking.

I guess it is back to our regular programing now though... makepoint.gif

Oh My! foreheadslap.gif

Just got back from a very busy day and dont understand all the hoopla about me.

I will try to get up a gallery in time (dont have a scanner at the moment) but promise to do so. Wpw, you guys really are addicted to this art. What a fun board! headbang.gif

http://www.comiclink.com/./img/comics/scans/RAD4EA012006530_1401.JPG

Really GREAT Piece, and a good price ($16500), no?

Not exactly subtle...

Very true. It was pretty obvious from the start that this was a new KK id, but the fact that he was engaging in interesting art based discussions, rather that his usual shiiite made it worth overlooking.

I guess it is back to our regular programing now though... makepoint.gif

For what it's worth, I'm not anti-KK. If anything, I do believe he's invigorated this original art forum and - whoever he is - I don't doubt for one minute that he cares passionately about this hobby. Sure, he posts a lot of 'shiiite' (as you put it), but also instigates a lot of interesting topics.

When KK's present on this forum, it's a lively place to be. When his current ID is banned and he's lying low for a while, things seem to slow down.

When KK re-invents himself, as I believe is the case here with the 'LuckyCantor' ID, and displays classic KK traits - listers are going to pick up on this sooner or later.

As for subtlety in 'outing' KK . . . you tell me which is the the correct way to go about this . . . a few probing polite questions . . . or, as BRONTY seems to advocate, the direct approach:

"Hey, LuckyCantor, are you Krazy Kat???"

Okay, I admit it, Im KK.

I invented this board and its kinda hard to give up.

Would we expect a momma to just abandon her child because the court deems her unfit?

I know what is best for the forum,..heck,..Im the frickin' KING, for Pete's sake.

And while there are a select minority who dont like my personality and see fit to get my banned everytime I arrive,...I wish there'd be more people standing up for me with the recognition of what I do in fact provide for this forum.

Yes,..I 'pimp' OA as "better than swiss cheese"...but there's a reason for it,..I love the stuff,..and think more people need to know about the hobby.

My objective ambition from day one has been to 'link' comic $$$ with the OA world,...and if you listen to how many people note they have converted to OA in the past 18 months,..I do like to think its cuz of me,..all me!!!! However,...no one wants to give me credit,..and thats OK,..cuz I am a humble and modest type of guy.

OK,....I guess Ill be banned again now,...,..but I wanted to set the record straight,..and if Im going to be banned for being me,...I figured, F it!,...if thats the way its gotta be. frown.gif

....I guess the board'll be boring again.

KK

PS - Im not a cantor of a reformed congregation in Naples, FL,...and I had no intention of posting my art online (As Ive noted b4,...that would lower the materials value!!!! insane.gif)

OK,....I guess Ill be banned again now,...,..but I wanted to set the record straight,..and if Im going to be banned for being me,...I figured, F it!,...if thats the way its gotta be.

Frankly, you have been considerate, interesting, and not the least bit insulting in this incarnation. I don't see any reason to ban you in this screen name.

I have not seen any of the things that got you banned before so I would oppose banning you now.

Chris

OK,....I guess Ill be banned again now,...,..but I wanted to set the record straight,..and if Im going to be banned for being me,...I figured, F it!,...if thats the way its gotta be.

Frankly, you have been considerate, interesting, and not the least bit insulting in this incarnation. I don't see any reason to ban you in this screen name.

I have not seen any of the things that got you banned before so I would oppose banning you now.

Chris

Well, whether you like "this incarnation" or not, the mods will likely ban him because he's a banned user who antagonized them and flouted the rules numerous times in the past, including repeatedly coming back and exhibiting the same boorish, antagonistic behavior and getting banned again -- he's not just a banned user because of an old screen name.

If Charles Manson changes his name and started acting cordial all of a sudden, you don't give him a pass on all his past indiscretions. Unfortunately for KK, trying to "reform" now may be too little too late.

I agree, however, that this time he was cordial and civilized and thoughtful -- and contributed positively to the discussions. If he only would have acted like that in the first place he might not have ended up banned.

I am not sure his personality will/would allow him to act that way consistently over the long haul. I guess we'll see if the mods allow him to stick around for a while. Maybe if he refrains from posting the same vein of his old song and dance we'll see what he truly has to offer to the discussions.