• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where will the original comic art market be in 20 years? Predictions anyone?

118 posts in this topic

You make some good points. However,...

I am not out to 'save the hobby' or 'help the hobby' at my own expense.

I like your 'attribute argument' ,....the attributes of an art collector are that they show/display their art,...while collectors 'hide' their stuff,....this is a good argument and jives with my liking/ & appreciation of categorical analysis.

That said,...I got my own neurosi to deal with,...and until Sothebys & Christies start hawking our art on a consistent and regular basis for $Millions$ [instead of Heritage for $100,000's],...I gotta play the market as it exists now,...not,... as I want it to be,...or as I suspect it might very well be in the future.

Peace Out!!!

KK

I like your 'attribute argument' ,....the attributes of an art collector are that they show/display their art,...while collectors 'hide' their stuff,....this is a good argument and jives with my liking/ & appreciation of categorical analysis.

That said,...I got my own neurosi to deal with,...and until Sothebys & Christies start hawking our art on a consistent and regular basis for $Millions$ [instead of Heritage for $100,000's],...I gotta play the market as it exists now,...not,... as I want it to be,...or as I suspect it might very well be in the future.

Peace Out!!!

KK

I think I understand where you are coming from...BUT, as Solar pointed out you must have at least one or two pages that you could post...

We all love this stuff here and it would great to see even a couple of lesser pieces from your collection. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How 'bout it?

Peace Out!!!

KK

I think I understand where you are coming from...BUT, as Solar pointed out you must have at least one or two pages that you could post...

We all love this stuff here and it would great to see even a couple of lesser pieces from your collection. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How 'bout it?

so you dont hate me anymore? flowerred.gif..even if I decide I dont wanna show my art?

Peace Out!!!

KK

If asked would you lend your art to a museum show if you could remain anonymous?

Peace Out!!!

KK

If asked would you lend your art to a museum show if you could remain anonymous?

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! I just dont want degraded sub-par (doesnt do the real thing) justice JPEG's & BMP files floating on the net...and watering down my ORIGINAL art,..and lowering the value!

Peace Out!!!

KK

How 'bout it?

so you dont hate me anymore? flowerred.gif..even if I decide I dont wanna show my art?

I have never said I hated you, and I actually think that you have a lot of worthwhile knowledge to bring to the forum. Just try to keep that broken record off the turntable. thumbsup2.gif

Peace Out!!!

KK

How 'bout it?

I have never said I hated you, and I actually think that you have a lot of worthwhile knowledge to bring to the forum. Just try to keep that broken record off the turntable. thumbsup2.gif

You mean the 'Comics suck & are a Dumb Investment' mantra? OK,..I will try,..but its hard,...because,...well "comics suck &.......". Nevermind.

PS - I will not show my art because it lowers the value....(where does the 'record' end,...and where does THE TRUTH begin???,..heh??? You see, its kinda hard not to be a broken record when people keepm pushing my buttons for positions Ive already articulated, in terms of where I stand.)

I'm a newbie, and have never wanted to get caught up in the krazy discussions that inevitably result whenever you appear, but...

To encourage other people to post their art so you can see it, even while you refuse to post your own, is the height of hyprocrisy. I don't care what you believe (that comics suck, that OA is great, that posting OA diminishes its value, ad nauseum), it's the hypocrisy that makes you an [embarrassing lack of self control]hole to me. Basically, you don't give a [embarrassing lack of self control] about your fellow collector, you're only interested in promoting your (krazy) agenda.

Your credibility is zero...just like your phantom collection.

I'm a newbie, and have never wanted to get caught up in the krazy discussions that inevitably result whenever you appear, but...

To encourage other people to post their art so you can see it, even while you refuse to post your own, is the height of hyprocrisy. I don't care what you believe (that comics suck, that OA is great, that posting OA diminishes its value, ad nauseum), it's the hypocrisy that makes you an [embarrassing lack of self control]hole to me. Basically, you don't give a [embarrassing lack of self control] about your fellow collector, you're only interested in promoting your (krazy) agenda.

Your credibility is zero...just like your phantom collection.

Well than we're even,..cuz I think you're a Major A-Hole too. And I aint just saying that because you called me one,..I truly, really think guys like yourself that get aggravated by my personality and feel you have the right to judge my morality as A-holes of the highest order. In case you havent noticed,..I dont MAKE people do anything they dont wanna do,..they wanna contribute by posting art,..GREAT,...I contribute by posting thought provoking analysis. You dont like me? I could give a rats arse,..there are plenty of people who dont like me on this earth,..and I get along just fine. Feel free to just,.."move along" than...sheesh,..but to post your insipid morality as if it means ANYTHING is in my opinion obnoxious,..and much more annoying than I ever am,..even on my worst/best day.

And my credibility is ZERO to YOU!!!!...I swear,..I am always amazed by how many people grab the mega-phone as the mouthpiece for some group-fantasy,..you dont speak for EVERYONE!?!??!?!!? Why is that so hard for you to understand!?!??!?!?! I could care 2-bits if you think I have an Uber collection or not.

But plz,..we are trying to be civil here.....

KK

hehe, welcome back. I see the direct approach I was advocating worked acclaim.gif

I have to admit I've found the krazy talk to be a bit much at times but I do think you're right when you say that you had an effect on the OA market. Whole lotta OA newbies on this board.... credit where credit is due.

Chris, that is just about the sweetest page I've ever seen. Congratulations.

Thanks. I appreciate it. Very kind of you to say. I have actually had this page for a few years, but I posted it to show that the right piece can be seen 100 times....a 1000 times and never lose a penny of value.

Best,

Chris

I have actually had this page for a few years, but I posted it to show that the right piece can be seen 100 times.....

Probably right - it's not the first time I've seen this piece, I believe I've seen it in your gallery before. But I get chills every time I look at it! hail.gif

Ok, I agree with you. For the top pieces being seen doesn't hurt. But, more often than not what you see is not top tier, hey even from me. By top tier, I mean Ditko Spidey cover, Frankenstein plate, Wood EC cover.... just naming a few.

The day in day out stuff starts to look well,... day in day out if it's seen all the time.

I've just seen way too many examples of pieces not generating any excitement when it's time to sell if it's been sitting on a gallery or website for a period of time.

I'm not happy about this, I think it sucks. The piece should be the piece. And, yes, the hobby is greatly improved by sharing images. So, maybe in the grand sceme, prices go up because a market and a hobby is created. But, on an individual level, it does not help to out your pieces.

My 2 cents and a half...

Anyone who disagrees doesn't understand the marketplace or has never tried to sell a piece, or, simply doesn't care about values. Dan F.

Didn't you see "The Silence of the Lambs"? What do we covet? What we see every day! The owner of my grail piece has it publicly displayed and it just makes me want it all the more, seeing that it exists and knowing that he won't sell it at the present time!

I'm not disagreeing that in some cases exposure can diminish the appeal of a piece, but in many cases it doesn't. Especially if you are talking about the truly top-tier pieces in comic book original art or other art - just look at all the masterpieces of fine art on display in the top museums; anyone who doesn't believe that the value of the Mona Lisa or Guernica or The Night Watch isn't enhanced because of the thousands/millions of people who have been to the museums where they are on display and stared in awe is simply naive. For the truly top pieces of comic book OA like KK claims to own, would any potential buyer pay a penny less if an image were posted online? Au contraire, knowing human nature, doing so would probably have all sorts of people scrambling for their pocketbooks!

.... that old thing... seen it. Yaaaaaaaawn.

I just put this one up in my CAF. I defy fate to make this one lose value.

VaVaVaVooom

I have posted on my site or on my CAF most of my favorite pieces, and I have never had a problem if I needed to move them. In fact, high quality pieces are high quality regardless of the amount of times it has been seen.

I have seen people make that "that piece has been around" argument, and it is more smoke than substance...or should I say....more negotiation tactic than substantive complaint. People spending money based on having seen a piece or not seen a piece are not the ones you would call hard core collectors.

The hard core knowledgable collector is buying a piece based on quality, not freshness to the eye. The quality remains long after the freshness has grown stale.

Best,

Chris

27_laughing.gif nice...now if you can guess which finger I am waving 893naughty-thumb.gif

stooges.gif I kid because Dan is a funny man.

27_laughing.gif nice...now if you can guess which finger I am waving 893naughty-thumb.gif

stooges.gif I kid because Dan is a funny man.

wink.gifhaven't you been trying to sell that for years.... c'mon, I'll give you $1000 bucks for it. It must have some value......

.....hmmmm, I guess that would be an example of that phony negotiation tactic you were talkin about.... hi.gif

I just put this one up in my CAF. I defy fate to make this one lose value.

VaVaVaVooom

Beautiful piece. thumbsup2.gif

• Administrator

The reason you all find KK annoying is because that's what he's meant to be. He's a fake name set up to agitate things. Why is it that he's so plugged into OA, and yet never shows anything? The reason is perhaps partially a belief that fresh pieces sell so showing art devalues things. But if that was all, then it would stand to reason that a collector would occasionally be selling or buying rather than just purely mouthing off, so those "fresh" pieces would get shown.

So why no selling? Why no buying? It should be one or the other, right? Because either the market is ripe for selling, or it's not in which case you should be buying, right?

Because KK is a shill for some other more stable collector who does buy and sell and show some art. Anything KK did to show art he owned would be a clue as to his "real" identity. Why does he exist? Like most shills, he exists to say the controversial things that pop into people's heads but that they don't want to deal with the consequences for saying. It's the freedom to be forceful in what you say without personal responsibility.

So the reality is that when you're talking to KK you probably ARE talking to a real collector with real art and real knowledge, but since it's a secret alter-ego, it can hardly reveal things about itself, can it?

Whatever. Banned.

The reason you all find KK annoying is because that's what he's meant to be. He's a fake name set up to agitate things. Why is it that he's so plugged into OA, and yet never shows anything? The reason is perhaps partially a belief that fresh pieces sell so showing art devalues things. But if that was all, then it would stand to reason that a collector would occasionally be selling or buying rather than just purely mouthing off, so those "fresh" pieces would get shown.

So why no selling? Why no buying? It should be one or the other, right? Because either the market is ripe for selling, or it's not in which case you should be buying, right?

Because KK is a shill for some other more stable collector who does buy and sell and show some art. Anything KK did to show art he owned would be a clue as to his "real" identity. Why does he exist? Like most shills, he exists to say the controversial things that pop into people's heads but that they don't want to deal with the consequences for saying. It's the freedom to be forceful in what you say without personal responsibility.

So the reality is that when you're talking to KK you probably ARE talking to a real collector with real art and real knowledge, but since it's a secret alter-ego, it can hardly reveal things about itself, can it?

Whatever. Banned.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif