• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alex Toth Tribute Thread

11 posts in this topic

The breadth of the comicbook covers he created was great. From early superhero and crime covers to the many western covers in the 1950's to the cover of Madman #3. Plus artwork for numerous stories in romance, war, science fiction, and horror comics. So I thought I'd start this thread as a retrospective of his life's work. Feel free to post your favorite Toth cover or artwork.

I'll start with his earliest covers starting in 1947/48...

All Star 38

All-American 92

All-American Western 122 cover

1249938-AllAmericaWestern122_Toth_cover.jpg

Green Lantern 28

Green Lantern 34

gre1.231a.jpg

His work with Green Lantern's Streak the Wonder Dog eventually lead to his doing the cover to the first cover of Rex the Wonder Dog.

Rex the Wonder Dog 1

He did several of the covers for the 50s crime series Big Town. My favorite is #12.

In the 70s, he did the artwork for Hot Wheels series...

Hot Wheels 5 [Always wanted to read this story since I heard him talk about it in CBA]

1.jpg

Hot Wheels 2 page

1249942-HotWheels2pg4_Toth.jpg

In the 80s, he did the art for Red Circle's new Black Hood series...

Black Hood 2 cover

1249944-BlackHood2_Toth_cover.jpg

Black Hood 4 cover (unpublished version)

1249947-BlackHood4_Toth_unpubCover.jpg

Since my scanner is away, could someone please put scans of the "Thunderjet!" story from Frontline combat #8 in this thread.

It's one of Alex Toth's masterpiece and one of my favorite EC story of all time as far as artwork is concerned...

I can't believe I didn't hear about Toth's passing until I read the obits in the LA Times today. He recieved a 3/4 page obit complete with illustrations. Sad to see the great ones go, but at least they recieve the recognition they're due in some quarters now.

I'll admit to not being a big Toth fan, but I am impressed by some of these covers. Did he influence Gil Kane or vice versa? They seem a bit alike with those pieces as examples.

I'll admit to not being a big Toth fan, but I am impressed by some of these covers. Did he influence Gil Kane or vice versa? They seem a bit alike with those pieces as examples.

Toth influenced Kane and many other artists.