• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice HG War Books on Heritage

54 posts in this topic

That 19.5% is a real kick in the balls.

Shep

Sigh. Once again, take the max price you're willing to pay, and divide by 1.195. Enter that amount as your bid, and your max bid will automatically incorporate the 19.5%. That way the 19.5% doesn't seem like an extra payment at all.

Shep should pass by this public pilfering of prodigious proportions to prevent patently perverse profiteering by these pernicious philistines. sign-rantpost.gif

Let his hands remain unsullied and his nostrils of clear of the foul stench that would emanate from these tainted comics.

First of all, nine words of almost unborken alliteration.... that's the literary equivalent of throwing a nine-punch combination! Nice!

Shep

I'm a preternaturally prescient pundit proudly proferring prolific pontifications positing prodigious problems for the passionate procurers of premier panelology.

Or just a pretentious pr ... scratch that

That 19.5% is a real kick in the balls.

Shep

Sigh. Once again, take the max price you're willing to pay, and divide by 1.195. Enter that amount as your bid, and your max bid will automatically incorporate the 19.5%. That way the 19.5% doesn't seem like an extra payment at all.

Shep should pass by this public pilfering of prodigious proportions to prevent patently perverse profiteering by these pernicious philistines. sign-rantpost.gif

Let his hands remain unsullied and his nostrils of clear of the foul stench that would emanate from these tainted comics.

First of all, nine words of almost unborken alliteration.... that's the literary equivalent of throwing a nine-punch combination! Nice!

Shep

I'm a preternaturally prescient pundit proudly proferring prolific pontifications positing prodigious problems for the passionate procurers of premier panelology.

Or just a pretentious pr ... scratch that

shy.gif

Sooooo,

Anybody get lucky? I got outbid on the OFF 71 in the final minutes. Anyone here get it?

$800 on the GIC 96.... much as I suspected. Nice!

Shep

Didn't win any of the war books.

Winning bid on the GIC #96 was $956, inclusive of BP, which is almost 6X Guide. Actually less than what I thought it would go for.

GIC #97 was equally impressive, going for $448 inclusive of BP, which is 2.8X Guide. Very impressive for a 9.2 book!

OAW #125 went for $508 inclusive of BP, which is just a tad over 4X. Very impressive for a OAW.

I bid $465 on the OFF #71, and thought for sure that would get it.... with the premium, that's a whopping 6x guide for a non-key book (even though it may be the best war comic cover of all time!)

Someone got a very nice book... but it wasn't me!

Shep

I bid 350 w/bp on the 97 and thought I had a chance. But... foreheadslap.gif

Hate to sound like a broken record, but it just shows again that HG pre-1964 SA DC is where the action is right now (for better or worse). A lot of these books have fanatical followings, and collectors wait YEARS, if not decades, for NM copies to appear. On those rare occasions when they do appear, the multiples go through the roof because collectors simply don't know when they'll ever have a shot again.

I think if these books had been offered in the higher profile Signature auctions, they would have gone for even more. A lot of big collectors never even track the weekly Amazing auctions.

Since I missed the 9.2 Our Fighting Forces #71 (and got into the mindset that I would be getting that book - shouldn't have let that happen) if anyone knows of a clean 8.0 or better copy that may be out there, please shoot me a PM.

Needing a consolation prize,

Shep

I know, I know. It's the old "desire to own pretty things" vs. "collecting discipline/focus" conundrum. Christo_pull_hair.gif

"Luke........come over to the dark-side of the Force." devil.gif

oh make no mistake Hui is already Dark Jedi. hi.gif

I know, I know. It's the old "desire to own pretty things" vs. "collecting discipline/focus" conundrum. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Call me... Palatine! devil.gif

Hey I'll call you Palatine, just get out of the HG DC War Book market so I can actually nab a few. makepoint.gif

Hey I'll call you Palatine, just get out of the HG DC War Book market so I can actually nab a few. makepoint.gif

I didn't win the books or even bid aggressively on them! Believe me, I'm not the market maker in that particular genre. angel.gif

If anything, I'm in a selling mode on my DC war books. confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually, got totally lucky on that book. It's nice - solid 8.0 to 8.5, but it ain't no 9.4!

Back in February, a lot appeared on ebay. It was listed generically... ie 'Lot of war comics' or 'Lot of GI Combats'. That said, there were still a lot of eyes on the lot. There were no scans, just low-quality digital photos.

The books were G.I. Combat #87, 89, 96 and 98. I got the four for, if memory serves, $380. The #87 looked really nice in the shots, perhaps a FN to FN+. I bought the lot for that book... here it is:

GIC87AF.jpg

Here was the 89. I have a nicer copy (this one had a staple pop) but sold it to someone on these lists.

gic89aa.jpg

I wound up selling my old GIC #87 for $350 privately, so between the two books, I made up the cash I spent, and got a nice #87, a #96 and a solid #98 in the bargain!

Normally, these kinds of things blow up in my face, and I get stuck with a stack of hero books I can never resell. But I know the ebb and flow of these kinds of war books well, so this one worked out okay.

Shep

Ugghh. I remember thinking I should bid more on that pile of books. That 87 is nice. Same goes for the 96. Great deal for sure.

I didn't win the books or even bid aggressively on them! Believe me, I'm not the market maker in that particular genre. angel.gif

If anything, I'm in a selling mode on my DC war books. confused-smiley-013.gif

takeit.gif