• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen Art Alert -- California Comics Retailer Robbed

17 posts in this topic

Its all about money. Where are these guys going to sell these ?

The comic community is rather small. These will be very Hot Potatoes.

Only a private individual will touch these, but he will not have the pleasure of " Showing Off" his prize.

And we all like to Show Off are prize, dont we ....

Where are these guys going to sell these ?

That's what I was thinking. Artwork is too easy to recognize and track, than say a HG Silver Book. Must be going to a private collection. If this stuff turns up, someone's gonna go down.

Chris

Where are these guys going to sell these ?

That's what I was thinking. Artwork is too easy to recognize and track, than say a HG Silver Book. Must be going to a private collection. If this stuff turns up, someone's gonna go down.

Chris

Yup. This is one of a kind! I hope this person rots 893censored-thumb.gif

In the early 70s, bundles of N Adams orig. comic art was stolen from the publisher. These appear to have been sold/traded privately for decades. Now that bulletin boards & email w/ pics can spread the message about stolen goods FAST, hopefully the artist/creator can get their artwork back.

With the San Diego show coming up in a couple of months I'm wondering if the crooks were thinking of unloading them there. If they try to sell them to a dealer I'm sure they'll get bagged as the news will travel quickly, but maybe a private party would get hooked...

You can jump from the Comic art site to a listing of stolen art but it doesn't look like these covers have been listed yet. It's sad to see some of the great artwork that's gone missing

dave h

Phil is a really nice guy and has some incredible books. He is one of the few stores that sells CGC books. He puts the highest graded stuff on Ebay like everyone else and sells the lower grade through the store. Seems like all dealers do this. Great art pieces. I hope they catch those crooks.

On a semi-related note, I work directly across from the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco, and heard thru the grapevine (from a shop, not from the Museum) that someone stole copies of X-men #1 and Superman #8 a week or so ago... Yes, these are much easier to sell than a unique piece of original art, but for a non-profit like the CAM, it's a bummer, 'cause people will be much more hesitant to loan them old books for exhibiting in the museum...

Sadly, I've heard rumors of similar examples of theft by people in the business for the past 30 years or so. My guess is that we would all be shocked at the percentage of GA and SA original art that's been pilfered from publishers. I don't feel comfortable mentioning names, but there's always the persistent rumor of a certain high-profile Marvel employee that made off with tons of Kirby's SA artwork and held onto it for years, slowly letting it go into the market. Others might know more details. Regardless, the sad reality is that many of our treasures probably originally made it into the hands of collectors by way of theft that was simply written off by publishers as the loss of inconsequential material.