• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF A Death in the Family / 40th Wedding Anniversary Special - Waste of Money

12 posts in this topic

So I was at a used bookstore/comic shop yesterday and decided to bite the bullet and actually buy some current books. Not wanting to jump into the middle of some random story I looked for some one shots and found two Fantastic Four books: A Death in the Family and 40th Wedding Anniversary Special. My first clue that this was a mistake was the price for just these two comics: $9.50 or so.

They were awful. The stories were just ... bad. And the price? Yeah, when most of the comic is made up of reprints and/or that Franklin Richards kid genius thing, you are not getting your money's worth. What a waste of time and money. I guess I should have trusted my instincts and stayed away from modern comics (aside from the ongoing FF and Cap comics, of course, which I cannot stop buying no matter how hard I try).

Fortunately, I have a great LSC, and the helpful sales clerk said, "Don't buy Death in the Family, it sucks" as she handed me my saver books.* So she saved me 4.99 or so, which barely makes up for all the money I spent after she told me to read Fables.

As for moderns, there's lots of great stuff out there. Don't let these two bad issues cloud your judgement or we'll have to start calling you "JC, Jr."

As for moderns, there's lots of great stuff out there. Don't let these two bad issues cloud your judgement or we'll have to start calling you "JC, Jr."

No worries. Aside from my subscriptions to FF and Cap I still pick up the occasional current comic now and again. But I am afraid I do not get the "JC, Jr." reference. Care to fill me in?

Oh, I know. I am just still steaming after reading the books last night.

Here's my tip: Don't buy special issues. Stick with ongoing titles. I'm considering not even reading mini's anymore.

Hjay,

Don't give up. There are tons of fantastic Moderns to read. If you want a short list, we can provide one. I honestly believe that there are a larger quantity of quality books to read today than in any other "Age".

I totally agree with the one-shots comment. They are RARELY good (barring Punisher: The Cell). Not to mention, the cost is absurd. Annuals have become a much better source of reading than One-Shots (in the 90's, I would never have said that).

Pat

I knew at the store I should not have bought the wedding anniversary special (I mean, come on) but I had some hope for Death in the Family. I read the Guardians miniseries a while back and enjoyed that, so I know there has to be SOME decent modern work happening these days.

I might as well ask, what did the "Death in the Family" refer to? Other than a ripoff of the famous DC usage.

Any time it costs that much due to older reprints, I'm immediately turned off. The one exception was She-Hulk 3 and I only bought it to keep my collection complete. It still didn't please me much and I haven't read it yet (though they are on 8, now that is behind).

Pat