• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to collecting.SORTA..here's my situation

30 posts in this topic

Well, I collected comics all through my childhood. Basically I really only have a love for silver and bronze age marvel but I am also interested in horror comics. As of right now I own a whopping 5 comics! I used to own 1,000 but am now going for quality investments and concentrating on preservation. I plan on starting off with mostly buying key issues, ASM 1-400, X-men 1-400, Star wars comics, and a lot of 50 cent comics at the show in boston on the 8th..hehe.

Anyway i'm 20 years old so I can't nor do i really want to buy 9.6 issues. I got a 8.0 Hulk 181 for 600$ so i didn;t think that was too bad and a nice copy (i know i know..i'm a nice little fanboy who needed this comic..lol). I pretty satisfied buying 8.0 and up for silver age and bronze.

In september I plan on spending around 4 grand on a comic. I want something to highlight my collection and also be a comic that I will give me some pride in my collection. I thought i'd also get this one out of the way as well I either plan on buying an ASM #1 or Amazing Fantasy #15. With 4 thousand dollars i figure I can pick up a very decent mid grade copy that i could even trade up for in a few years if i want a better one. What kind of grade am i looking at for either one? I figure a 5.0 for AF15 and 6.5 for ASM 1..am i close.

Anyway i've learned a lot from this board. You'll be hearing a lot from me as I like to talk. Just trying to build a strong base for a collection . The number of books will rise i'm not concerned with that. I am storing my comics in acid free boxes in Mylites 2 and full backs.

Thanks guys! appreciate it bigtime

If you really want an ASM 1 or AF 15..for 4k, you'll probably be in the 7.0-7.5 range and 5.5-6.0 range respectively. OR you could buy an ASM 2 or 3 9.0 for around 4,000

Brian

If it's between an AF 15 and an ASM #1, I definetly say for for the AF 15. There's no better foundation for a collection. And ASM #1 is waaaaay overpriced and over-hyped. Even ASM #14 is more important than #1, if you really think about it, so it's not worth the cash if you have 1 to choose from. Get an AF 15 slabbed midgrade copy just so you know it's unrestored.

A good alternative to that is getting a 9.2 ASM #14.

What I would do is wait patiently for an Amazing Spider-man CGC 7.5 or 8.0 to come up and bid $3500-3800 on the 7.5 and $4000 on the 8.0 until you win one!!

Just a matter of time...

Good idea....I have plenty of time so i'll most likely be putting away all the money i can. Hell if I wait six months i'll be able to afford something even better. Maybe save 6 grand for a copy over 8.0. that would kick

anyway back to watching the CLERKS dvd i picked up today at best buy,,,

peace

Stick with the AF 15

I don't agree, as the guy is 20, has stated his affinity for CGC 8.0 and higher books, and has a long time yet to collect comics.

If he has $4K, there's an outside shot at getting a ASM #1 8.0 in the future, but no chance of hitting 8.0 for AF 15. At least with his available funds, he may hit one goal at his stated grade, and then have plenty of time to save the cash for a AF 15 CGC 8.0.

Just my opinion.

I'd just use 4k on the AF 15 or ASM 1, and then use the additional 2k for other books. At this point when you're trying to get started, it's more about quantity than quality..and since all the books you're buying are quality...all you have to achieve is the quantity portion tongue.gif

Brian

I dunno....maybe this is pure speculation, but you may be better served putting that $$$ towards some HG Bronze Keys. Conan #1, HOS #92, Hulk #181, GL/GA #76.....

You can still find great Bronze Keys for under 1G. Bronze books are now hitting the 30 yr. old mark. Many of these books (esp. GL/GA #76) command high prices on the open market. They will only continue to rise.

AF#15 hit it's high mark last summer (please, don't get me wrong, this is THE SA Book, not Showcase #4); at least for a few years. But, right now, I think, is the time to get into Bronze books, as the keys are (relatively) cheap, but the significance is there.

Maybe I'm talking out my ???? Feel free to critique or support.....

Chris

Come on man! Go for a sweet golden age Captain America or early Batman (Det 29, 31, 33 and 35 are all fantastic and in that range for lower/mid copies). Some of the early Cap's with S&K are in that range for a nice copy. Get a 1939 NY Worlds Fair comic with a Very early (blonde) superman AND the first Sandman!!! How about Action # 7 (2nd sups cover) or Action # 23 (first Luther). No, they wont be higher grade, but they are true classics. I am not saying that AF 15 is not a great addition to a collection, just dont forget the golden age books.

rantpost.gif893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

ASM 1 in 8.0 seems to be going a little nuts lately....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2176219630&category=32739&rd=1

WTF???

Granted one spiked sale DOES not accurately portray the market..But alot of NEW collectors will look at their Overstreet and see that it GUIDES for $9350 in VF .

Yikes........

Throw out your Guide on this particular issue , it is very overpriced!

IMHO

basically I buy what I like. DOn't care about quanitity, My goals are to complete sets of books I like and buy key issues I only dreamed of owning when i was a kid....AF 15 for example.

Whether I buy silver or bronze marvel the buy will be because I like to comic..not because they;re cheap now and going up in price. I'll get around to getting a lot of the bronze issues I need soon.

Also, my collection goals are a little different for a beginneer, but they're still my goals and they will take me the rest of my life. When I finish medical school and residency i'll have all the money i need to buy comics. I plan on having a collection room with a very detailed computer system and easy storage to hold 10,000 thousand comics. My main goal in the future is to buy the best action #1 i can.

I'm sticking with silver age while i'm still in school and going to do my best to buy the best i can in the next ten years while i slowly wean myself to Golden age.

Anyway I hope this makes sense. AS i start posting scans and talking more you will see where the hobby is headed for me.

Right now just getting my feet wet and being smart about buying some nice books to make me happy goodevil.gif

Yep, it's only a matter of time before the book that started the 441 issue run of ASM will be worth next to nothing. IMO, the book should be a 20-30k book in the upper grades. In mid-grade it's basically how badly someone wants it cause the price seems to fluctuate some between the numerical CGC grades with no real rhyme or reason.

As for the new guy, I'd buy one of those two books and than spend the other 2k on something like an ASM 14 or 15.

Brian

by the way, I may be newer but I know comics and know that that issue is a joke for price.

Glad you guys have given me such a warm welcome smile.gif

It's nice to be able to share this hobby with hardcore comic, scifi, horror nuts like me. Like I said i'm taking my time, doing my research, seeing what i like to read, collect.

Hopefully my collection becomes a nice collection of about 500 books by the end of the year...

thanks again!!

PEACE