• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Yeah, I always liked it, too. Actually this era of Grandenetti is my favorite as far as his art style (nevermind the composition of the cover). Lots of nice deep black ink in the faces and figuers. I'll say this. . .it is one of the books that's been in my collection the longest, but I've never seen another high-grade copy let alone anything even in the VG+ realm. Of the later AAMOW issues, it's among the most difficult to find.

You traded for that! 893whatthe.gif

Do you still have both kidneys? stooges.gif

You traded for that! 893whatthe.gif

Do you still have both kidneys? stooges.gif

This was Mick's undercopy. 893whatthe.gif

Awesome! I want an overcopy so later I can have an undercopy. What did you have to trade? Great haul for you today. Mike

Now I have to pay for them. insane.gif

I traded a 8.5 OAAW #76 (my undercopy) + a good amount of cash for his OAAW #88 and a nice OAAW 62.

I think we both ended up happy.

Sounds like a great deal on both ends. It's nice when everyone walks away happy.

I love that cover, and it is really a tough issue to find in any decent kind of condition.

First Sgt. Rock cover too! Granted, I always felt like THIS was the real first Rock cover:

ammow79.jpg

I don't care what anybody says, that looks JUST like Rock to me.

Shep

Sounds like a great deal on both ends. It's nice when everyone walks away happy.

I love that cover, and it is really a tough issue to find in any decent kind of condition.

First Sgt. Rock cover too! Granted, I always felt like THIS was the real first Rock cover:

ammow79.jpg

Shep

That's a spittin image, Shep!

ammow79.jpg

Shep

That's a spittin image, Shep!

Agreed. That's on my hit list now as well.

Shep

I thought the same thing the first time I saw that cover. That IS Rock! If not in name, definitely in image.

Shep

I thought the same thing the first time I saw that cover. That IS Rock! If not in name, definitely in image.

Mind you, this was brought out a year after Rock was introduced...maybe Kubert just found it simpler to draw the same man? confused-smiley-013.gif

Andy

Shep

Mind you, this was brought out a year after Rock was introduced...maybe Kubert just found it simpler to draw the same man? confused-smiley-013.gif

Andy

Andy, you're totally right... I thought this book came out in 1959, but it appeared in 1960... the same month as Our Army at War #94... by which time there had been six Sgt. Rock covers on that title.

Still... that's Rock. Interesting.

Shep