• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

His is the piece of art that I DID manage to win at the war dinner auction. It's a Sam Glanzman self-portrait/wanted poster. I thought it was very unique and I liked the fact that it was kind of beat up and distressed. I met Sam at the war dinner in 2004 and he was really a nice guy and gave me a free Jonah Hex sketch the next day at the con. Unfortunately, he wasn't up for the trip to SD this year.

I got it for $75, which I thought was a good deal.

wantedposter.jpg

That's a hell of a lot better than that piece'o'krap that Golden did for $500. Yet one more reason to love Heath.

Every piece of art at the dinner went for less than $600, and every one was better than that Golden POS.

His is the piece of art that I DID manage to win at the war dinner auction. It's a Sam Glanzman self-portrait/wanted poster. I thought it was very unique and I liked the fact that it was kind of beat up and distressed. I met Sam at the war dinner in 2004 and he was really a nice guy and gave me a free Jonah Hex sketch the next day at the con. Unfortunately, he wasn't up for the trip to SD this year.

wantedposter.jpg

That's a nice piece! Cool! (thumbs u

Andy

You done good.

Sam's work is always uniquely his own. From what I know about him, he almost certainly "distressed" the wanted poster on purpose.

Hey Guys, Its funny how comics or in this case OAAW books pop into differant places in Americana. I found this as I was going through my cd's. This is the back of the Beach Boys (Endless Summer) Album. This may have been posted before, If so my bad! Any Thoughts on this or has any body seen OAAW books pop up any where else? I posted it here because it is a 10 center.

beachboyslarge.jpg[/img]

beachboyssmall.jpg[/img]

Larry

wantedposter.jpg

Andy, that's a very cool and very unique piece. Glanzman is a personmal favorite of mine, I would have loved to have met him, congrats!

Hey Guys, Its funny how comics or in this case OAAW books pop into differant places in Americana. I found this as I was going through my cd's. This is the back of the Beach Boys (Endless Summer) Album. This may have been posted before, If so my bad! Any Thoughts on this or has any body seen OAAW books pop up any where else? I posted it here because it is a 10 center.

beachboyslarge.jpg[/img]

beachboyssmall.jpg[/img]

Larry

The cover of OAAW #233 appeared on the cover of the New York Times Magazine back in the early 1970s.

Shep

I saw that book and nearly fell out of my chair. Keith's getting some fantastic prices on a lot of those books.

I have a question though. I through a lot of bids on a lot of books, expecting the auction to be over. Now it's still on through internet bidding? WTF is that? Now I feel that my slim chance of winning any of these books just got a hell of a lot slimmer. Am I correct here, or is there something I'm missing? (shrug)

Andy

I saw that book and nearly fell out of my chair. Keith's getting some fantastic prices on a lot of those books.

I have a question though. I through a lot of bids on a lot of books, expecting the auction to be over. Now it's still on through internet bidding? WTF is that? Now I feel that my slim chance of winning any of these books just got a hell of a lot slimmer. Am I correct here, or is there something I'm missing? (shrug)

Andy

Heritage "Legacay Bidders" are able to bid on books until a few hours before the auction. These bids will be reflected in the price you are seeing. There is also the floor bidding that will occur and you can request to bid by phone. eBay offers live bidding that competes with floor bids but they will charge a 5% premium. Finally, Heritage is working on getting their own live bidding process working.

Andy

Yes he is. But given the interest in October's recent sales threads this shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

its getting so that we have reached a state of total virtual real-time bidding. No matter where you are you are now able to "be there" to bid "on the floor". Pretty exciting as it opens it up to more than the dedicated pros who travel to auctions. But, for the rest of us, suckks because our last second internet bids are two tiers away from the final action. (Legacy and then floor bidding)

And when the system is really set up and flawless, I dont see a need for the internet deadline at all, since ALL bidders will participate virtually from anywhere at the real auction alongside the floor attendees.

...and we will be watching on our big screen TVs by connecting them to our computers which we will be entering bids and then listening to the auctioneer read them off his monitor!

An even playing field, finally, but it will eliminate internet sniping entirely, thereby pushing prices higher since noone will get the "last word under the clock" anymore and all bids will be fair game to outbid.