• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

For what it's worth, I am constantly in a state of jealousy over everyone else's war books. Which is totally irrational, because my collection is pretty okay.

Shep

I want everyone's collections, which is even more irrational. :insane:

=

You know, I'm coming to Jesus on the fact that there are lot of these books I will NEVER own in high grade. In truth, that will be the case for most of us I suspect.

So you put your runs together in the shape you can best afford, and sometimes the sun and the earth and the moon align and you're in the right place at the right time to score a really smokin' copy of something....

which ain't so bad.

For what it's worth, I am constantly in a state of jealousy over everyone else's war books. Which is totally irrational, because my collection is pretty okay.

Shep

It's only January, but "pretty okay" may be the understatement of the year Shep. I agree with you by the way. I am very happy to just work on some mini-runs with whatever grades I can get. I still haven't completed 10 consecutive issues of any one title yet, so I'm past being picky. It's been a while since the sun and the moon have aligned for me though.

Too bad they don't have a salivating graemlin. I guess this one will have to do.

:cloud9:

Don't you have all of them? :baiting:

I still love seeing them, though, especially in that kind of shape. Yikes! :o

Andy

Yeah, they are nice in a jealous, depressing, I'll never own that many high grade DC war books EVER, kind of way. :(

Still, they are nice to look at. :banana:

You know, I'm coming to Jesus on the fact that there are lot of these books I will NEVER own in high grade. In truth, that will be the case for most of us I suspect.

So you put your runs together in the shape you can best afford, and sometimes the sun and the earth and the moon align and you're in the right place at the right time to score a really smokin' copy of something....

which ain't so bad.

Shep

In a way, this is just human nature, wanting something that we don't have, or always wanting more. It's also not the best quality to have, and I, for one, am guilty of. For the most part, my collection is made up of low grade to mid grade books. Yes, I am trying to upgrade here and there, but these books are truly affordable when they show up in 4.0 to 5.5 grades, and they are nice copies. We often strive to own the best copies, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we are greedy. We may just have a goal that we are trying to achieve, or we may just have a love of high grade books. When will this obsession end? After my next acquisition.....or perhaps the one after that. :shy: Or maybe even the one after that.... :gossip:

Just enjoy yourselves, have fun, and buy what you can afford. These books, the DC's, Atlas's, and (cough, cough) even Marvels :grin:, are great books and they should be appreciated.

Talk soon, my fellow collectors! :hi:

Andy

Just enjoy yourselves, have fun, and buy what you can afford. These books, the DC's, Atlas's, and (cough, cough) even Marvels , are great books and they should be appreciated.

Not too sure about the Marvels, but the rest is a pretty darn good approach! (thumbs u

Shep, you have a BAD-ASSZ collection!!!!

Nothin' wrong with coveting other folks stuff (certainly not in my realm). Man, there have been some truly NUCLEAR comics making appearances here. My eyes have been burning every night just gazing at it. Incredible stuff!

From what I've seen Shep, your collection is amazing (worship)

And as for not being able to get every book that you'd like, well that's what makes the hunt so much fun. Nothing like coming upon a much desired book, when price, grade, and funds all converge :cloud9:

Hell, if we could all get any book we wanted any time we wanted, the thrill of the hunt and the desire just might not be there. (thumbs u

So true about the thrill of the hunt... it's definitely what gets the blood up.

And guys, thanks for the kudos on my collection. I like it. I wish it was better. But I'll probably always feel that way - like a Arthurian knight wandering the wasteland on an eternal quest for the next book (there's always a next book.)

Truth is, for a variety of different reasons, I am in awe of all the books you guys have and are kind enough to share on this thread. Practically everyone who posts here has something killer.

I remember speaking with Mick a few years ago in San Diego about being a war comic collector, and how great it is when you meet other collectors. It just seemed very cool to finally meet other dudes who were into the same books as me. Until the rise of the internet, being a war collector (in Canada anyway) was a lonely pursuit. I sort of kept it to myself, because frankly no one else even close to got what I was into. It's an idiosyncratic corner of the hobby to be sure... but I'm glad we have places like this forum to jaw about these things. And I'm continually astonished by the passion of war comic collectors, and the joy they pull out of their comics.

Can't wait to see what the rest of the year brings.

Shep

You definitely have a nice collection Shep. I wish I could pull the trigger on a couple of those OAAW slabs. thirdgreenham's collection just blows me away. I can't even imagine owning the complete big 5 array of books. Just amazing.

Mick's Salida books make me insanely jealous as do many of the others I see here. I just wish I had made more of an effort to collect DC war back when no one wanted them and they were cheap. :(

Mick's Salida books make me insanely jealous

Fixed that for you. And me.

Love this cover. I think Shep showed me the light.

lf-27-1.jpg

Did you win this one? :cloud9: :cloud9:

I love that cover as well!!!

I especially like the way the Black background with the Golden foreground compliment each other!!! Very Nice!!! :headbang:

I won a copy about a week ago that I haven't recieved yet!!! It should be here any day now, when i get it I'll post it.

It's not as nice as Tatters though!!! Mine should be about a 5.0-5.5 copy!!!

Nice book Tatters!!! (thumbs u