• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

SSWS131.jpg

! (worship)

no, no, you're supposed to say, "junk"

I can never tell the difference between "junk" and "sweet" books. (shrug)

It's easy really. Anything that greggy does not collect is junk. (thumbs u

A couple had art other than Andru and Espo (admittedly, not their best stuff... at least in my opinion.)

#122 had Heath, #124 and #125 had Kubert and #128 had Gene Colan!!

Mmmmmm.....

Shep

Got a question guys, looked thru the New Overstreet Price Guide and noticeed they had the Top Ten list of books of crime, horror, romance, sci-fi and westerns. Why the heck is there no Top Ten for war books ?? For crying out loud just look at this thread alone, one of the most active in the Silver thread. Where is the love?????

Guess they didn't want to break all the war collectors hearts by letting them know how much a G.I. Combat # 87 and OAAW # 83 would put them back.

I'm sure for more than guide :baiting:

Edited by capt_comics

Overstreet, Shmoverstreet.... I'm more interested in hearing from the REAL experts... mainly you guys.

I want to hear everyone's top 10s. For what it's worth, here's mine. This have nothing to do with price and everything to do with sweet, sweet love....

Shep's Top Ten War Books of all Time

10. Star Spangled War #154. The Origin issue of the Unknown Soldier, and a much more satisfying story than the first appearance in #151.

9. Our Fighting Forces #123. First appearance in this title by the Losers, drawn by the truly underrated Ken Barr.

8. Our Fighting Forces #49. First Pooch. Need I say more?

7. Star Spangled War #146. I know everyone raves - rightly so - about 'Burma Sky', but Toth's finest DC war moment was undoubtedly 'White Devil, Yellow Devil', a startling Bob Kanigher Gallery of War tale.

6. Our Fighting Forces #45. First appearance of Gunner & Sarge in their own title. Love it.

5. Our Fighting Forces #71. The best greytone cover of all time? Yup.

4. Our Army at War #81. Okay, okay.... it's not the first appearance. But the main story sets up the coming legend, there's a Heath back up story, and just look at the purple on the cover... PLEASE!!!

3. Our Army at War #244. Is 'Easy' First Tiger' the perfect Sgt. Rock tale? Yes.

2. G.I. Combat #87. First Haunted Tank. The only DC war comic with the cover and all stories by a certain Russ Heath (as my friend Mick Rabin called it 'An Azz-kicking Russ Heath Tour de Force.' One of the finest covers of all time.... PINK!!!!!!!!!!

1. Our Army at War #83. First Sgt. Rock by Kanigher and Kubert. 'Hey! Your chocolate fell into my peanut butter!' The perfect combination... Mmmmmmmmm :cloud9:

Interesting list but what's the criteria? For example, I noticed that you only included DCs.

A few in today. Although they aren't trooper books, I couldn't pass these beauties up:

AllAmericanMenOfWar32.jpg

Damn, troop, I believe I was the under-bidder on those two books. Nice pick ups!!!

Andy

Overstreet, Shmoverstreet.... I'm more interested in hearing from the REAL experts... mainly you guys.

I want to hear everyone's top 10s. For what it's worth, here's mine. This have nothing to do with price and everything to do with sweet, sweet love....

Shep's Top Ten War Books of all Time

10. Star Spangled War #154. The Origin issue of the Unknown Soldier, and a much more satisfying story than the first appearance in #151.

9. Our Fighting Forces #123. First appearance in this title by the Losers, drawn by the truly underrated Ken Barr.

8. Our Fighting Forces #49. First Pooch. Need I say more?

7. Star Spangled War #146. I know everyone raves - rightly so - about 'Burma Sky', but Toth's finest DC wa

r moment was undoubtedly 'White Devil, Yellow Devil', a startling Bob Kanigher Gallery of War tale.

6. Our Fighting Forces #45. First appearance of Gunner & Sarge in their own title. Love it.

5. Our Fighting Forces #71. The best greytone cover of all time? Yup.

4. Our Army at War #81. Okay, okay.... it's not the first appearance. But the main story sets up the coming legend, there's a Heath back up story, and just look at the purple on the cover... PLEASE!!!

3. Our Army at War #244. Is 'Easy' First Tiger' the perfect Sgt. Rock tale? Yes.

2. G.I. Combat #87. First Haunted Tank. The only DC war comic with the cover and all stories by a certain Russ Heath (as my friend Mick Rabin called it 'An Azz-kicking Russ Heath Tour de Force.' One of the finest covers of all time.... PINK!!!!!!!!!!

1. Our Army at War #83. First Sgt. Rock by Kanigher and Kubert. 'Hey! Your chocolate fell into my peanut butter!' The perfect combination... Mmmmmmmmm :cloud9:

Great list, Shep! (thumbs u

I'll compile my list tomorrow, not much time tonight.

Andy

Interesting list but what's the criteria? For example, I noticed that you only included DCs.

I only know DC war, so it wouldn't be fair of my to make a list that included the other companies. I know Atlas war is amazing, EC war is supposed to be wonderful as well. Trooper says Timely is great. When I compose my list, it'll be "thirdgreenham's top 10 DC war books"....cause that's all I know... :sorry:

Andy