• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

A few in today. Although they aren't trooper books, I couldn't pass these beauties up:

Damn, troop, I believe I was the under-bidder on those two books. Nice pick ups!!!

Andy

Sorry Andy! Heads up, I'm after more DC war tonight ending soon...just lettin ya know in case your bidding too :devil:

Overstreet, Shmoverstreet.... I'm more interested in hearing from the REAL experts... mainly you guys.

I want to hear everyone's top 10s. For what it's worth, here's mine. This have nothing to do with price and everything to do with sweet, sweet love....

Shep's Top Ten War Books of all Time

10. Star Spangled War #154. The Origin issue of the Unknown Soldier, and a much more satisfying story than the first appearance in #151.

9. Our Fighting Forces #123. First appearance in this title by the Losers, drawn by the truly underrated Ken Barr.

8. Our Fighting Forces #49. First Pooch. Need I say more?

7. Star Spangled War #146. I know everyone raves - rightly so - about 'Burma Sky', but Toth's finest DC war moment was undoubtedly 'White Devil, Yellow Devil', a startling Bob Kanigher Gallery of War tale.

6. Our Fighting Forces #45. First appearance of Gunner & Sarge in their own title. Love it.

5. Our Fighting Forces #71. The best greytone cover of all time? Yup.

4. Our Army at War #81. Okay, okay.... it's not the first appearance. But the main story sets up the coming legend, there's a Heath back up story, and just look at the purple on the cover... PLEASE!!!

3. Our Army at War #244. Is 'Easy' First Tiger' the perfect Sgt. Rock tale? Yes.

2. G.I. Combat #87. First Haunted Tank. The only DC war comic with the cover and all stories by a certain Russ Heath (as my friend Mick Rabin called it 'An Azz-kicking Russ Heath Tour de Force.' One of the finest covers of all time.... PINK!!!!!!!!!!

1. Our Army at War #83. First Sgt. Rock by Kanigher and Kubert. 'Hey! Your chocolate fell into my peanut butter!' The perfect combination... Mmmmmmmmm :cloud9:

My top ten,,,I have only been collecting war books for a few years, and I only collect DC Big 5 so that is what my list will consist of.

10. Our Army at War 112 - Brady Bunch Cover

9. Our Fighting Forces 71- Awesome Grey Tone

8. All American Men of War 67- 1st G&S

7. G.I. Combat 56 - Love the cover and prototype issue

6. G.I. Combat 80 - One of my all time favorite covers

5. G.I. Combat 91 - Another One of my all time favorites

4. G.I. Combat 87 - 1st Haunted Tank and what a cover

3. Our Army at War 81 - Almost the 1st Rock

2 G.I. Combat 68 - "The Rock" and also, my first DC War book

1. Our Army at War 83 - 1st True Rock

Overstreet, Shmoverstreet.... I'm more interested in hearing from the REAL experts... mainly you guys.

I want to hear everyone's top 10s. For what it's worth, here's mine. This have nothing to do with price and everything to do with sweet, sweet love....

10. Star Spangled War #154. The Origin issue of the Unknown Soldier, and a much more satisfying story than the first appearance in #151.

9. Our Fighting Forces #123. First appearance in this title by the Losers, drawn by the truly underrated Ken Barr.

7. Star Spangled War #146. I know everyone raves - rightly so - about 'Burma Sky', but Toth's finest DC war moment was undoubtedly 'White Devil, Yellow Devil', a startling Bob Kanigher Gallery of War tale.

6. Our Fighting Forces #45. First appearance of Gunner & Sarge in their own title. Love it.

4. Our Army at War #81. Okay, okay.... it's not the first appearance. But the main story sets up the coming legend, there's a Heath back up story, and just look at the purple on the cover... PLEASE!!!

3. Our Army at War #244. Is 'Easy' First Tiger' the perfect Sgt. Rock tale? Yes.

2. G.I. Combat #87. First Haunted Tank. The only DC war comic with the cover and all stories by a certain Russ Heath (as my friend Mick Rabin called it 'An Azz-kicking Russ Heath Tour de Force.' One of the finest covers of all time.... PINK!!!!!!!!!!

1. Our Army at War #83. First Sgt. Rock by Kanigher and Kubert. 'Hey! Your chocolate fell into my peanut butter!' The perfect combination... Mmmmmmmmm :cloud9:

My top ten,,,I have only been collecting war books for a few years, and I only collect DC Big 5 so that is what my list will consist of.

Nice list! :applause:

Andy

thirdgreenham's top 10 DC war books

10. Star Spangled War Stories #151 1st Unknown Soldier (not really, but it is to me. I doesn't have a great story as SSWS #154, but it introduces the character that filled my dreams for many, many nights)

9. Our Army At War #2 (incredibly scarce early DC war book, probably not on the top 10 of 100 other DC war collectors' lists, but due to it's scarcity, it makes mine)

8. All American Men Of War #67 1st Gunner and Sarge (tough book to find in nice shape and introduces a couple of real losers)

7. Star Spangled War Stories #84 1st Mlle. Marie (a very sought after book that sells for multiples of guide at times, very important for DC war collectors)

6. Our Fighting Forces #45 early Gunner and Sarge (strangely more important to me than the 1st appearance in AAMOW 67, I find both books very difficult to find in nice shape, but this one has a bigger draw for me)(side note-just try to find a copy of OFF46!)

5. Our Army At War #1 (a very important book for me, my first expensive DC war comic that I ever bought....it cost $150 for a VG about 13 years ago)

4. G. I. Combat #68 Sgt. Rock prototype (a surprise hit among DC war books, once thought to be the first Sgt. Rock appearance, now just a lowly prototype book that goes for gobs of cash!)

3. Our Army At War #81 last Sgt. Rock prototype (Overstreet lists this as the most expensive DC war book, but #83 should really take that crown. Can anyone with GPA confirm this?)

2. Our Army At War #83 1st true Sgt. Rock ( the most desirable comic book for DC war collectors-except me)

1. G. I. Combat #87 1st Haunted Tank (mesmerizing cover and it just so happens to be a monumental issue)

Andy :foryou:

I recently read an interview with Heath where he commented on OAAW 244. He said something to the effect of, "nobody had drawn a tiger tank before and I wanted to draw it so well that noone else would try". Not verbatim, but that was the gist.

I'd venture to say that he did just that.

I recently read an interview with Heath where he commented on OAAW 244. He said something to the effect of, "nobody had drawn a tiger tank before and I wanted to draw it so well that noone else would try". Not verbatim, but that was the gist.

Great story, He did indeed do that. That is just a jaw dropping splash page.

Great story, He did indeed do that. That is just a jaw dropping splash page.

I've seen it in person and it's stunning.

I'll limit my response to DC and focus more on "significant" events than covers, though "Top 10 DC War Covers" would make for an interesting topic as well.

10. OAAW #1 The first issue of the premier war comic title of any publisher. If it had a better cover/story combination it would move up on the list.

9. SSWS #86 This will seem a surprise but Drucker told me that he created Marie but was not allowed to draw her until her 3rd appearance. Kanigher rode Drucker hard, eventually firing him only to later acknowledge how unjust he had been. No slight to Novick, but my Marie will always be a Drucker.

8. AAMOW #67 First Gunner & Sarge.

7. SSWS #90 It kicked off a fun series and I because I've always loved dinosaurs. Did I mention that it's purple because that's terribly important too.

6. SSWS #45 The very first DC graytone that led to some of the best covers DC ever put out. All were lovingly and painstakingly colored and hand-separated by Jack Adler just because he wanted to do something special.

5. GIC #56 DI and the Sand Fleas is the first major stepping stone in the development of Sgt. Rock.

4. OAAW #151 The first appearance of Enemy Ace which was an original take on the enemy at war and contains the finest sustained artwork of Joe Kubert's career. The ink dripped off his brush and every aspect of sequential art is at it's peak. The staging and page layouts (much scripted by Kanigher) are spectacular and there's an attention to details and machinery that is often lacking in his artwork before or after. Seeing one of the pages of original art in person is a treat.

3. GIC #68 The Rock and the Wall is the second major evolution of Sgt Rock and the artwork is an outstanding example of Kubert's work during the late 50s. The lines are softer and less-angled conveying an almost dream-like mood.

2. GIC #87 Unbelievable greytone cover and story by Russ Heath that kicks off the Haunted Tank series. Russ dislikes the pink background of the cover (he prefers a more realistic approach to coloring) but it definitely makes it memorable.

1. OAAW #83 The first appearance of Sgt. Rock, the most visible, well-conceived heroic war character ever. Kubert's moody, impressionistic art was the perfect realization of Kanigher's vision.

Great lists everyone..... I kept my list DC war, because that's what I know best. No doubt between the EC books, Foxhole, Blazing Combat and even some of the more thoughtful issues of Sgt. Fury (stories like 'The All American' come to mind) that there were some other truly great tales out there.

Man, I love war comics....

Shep

Here's the quote:

Now and then I would try to do something like a “collector’s item.” At first, I think I did a Sgt. Rock that was called “Easy’s First Tiger,” [Our Army at War #244] meaning it was the first time in the war our side had seen the Tiger Tank. Rock said “What the hell is this?!?” It was more heavily armored, it had a bigger gun and it could knock off our tanks before we could get in range. I thought it was an interesting thing, so I wrote the story just about the tank. It had a snorkel, it could go under water, and it had a sealable rubber ring around the turret...you need air to breathe and to run the engine and of course you could have the exhaust just go out. It was all these different things and I worked them into that story and for the opening shot, I thought I’m going to do the definitive Tiger Tank so no one needs to bother to try it again [laughs]. I used photographs and I just knocked myself out and everyone seemed to love it.

and here's a link to the interview:

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=003713

I've seen it in person and it's stunning.

Is it in a personal collection, or did Russ hang onto it? I can't remember seeing it in the Heritage auctions a few years back...

Russ showed it to me when I visited him in LA a number of years back. He was extremely proud of the piece and had no intentions of selling it but I've not checked back as to whether he still has it.

Edited by adamstrange

A friend of mine who keeps in touch with Russ told me that Russ kept certain pieces out of the Heritage deal, so that he could leave them to his kids. I'm sure that story was one of the pieces he kept.

Man, wouldn't that Tiger double spread be amazing up on your wall?

Shep

The next time I saw him after my visit he surprised me with a full-size signed copy of the splash. Russ is a great artist and class act. (worship)

EasyTiger.jpg