• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I just had to post a book tonight in celebration of some books

I won on e-bay from the awesome auctions our friend Andy was

having.

Great auctions Andy! (worship)

Picture581-1-1-1.jpg

Russ Heath :cloud9:

Nobody outside of Burne Hogarth could draw drapery in clothing better than Russ. When Russ wanted to draw action, he nailed it. When he wanted something to be static, he nailed it. The guy was the consummate photorealist. Just look at the ruffles and folds in the guy's fatigues. Even THAT is absolutely brilliant.

Great book, Fazy!

Mick,

I never really noticed that before and you're right his fatigues

look incredible laying still in death.

Picture574.jpg

I book I recently purchased this year and love this cover. :cloud9:

Edited by Fazybones

Mmmm.... nice books Fay. You are so right, Mick, about Heath's uncanny knack for making everything look tasty... even the folds in clothes.

Here's a couple of my favorite Heath covers... oooooooh, he's just so :cloud9:

war23.jpg

e5ae85ef.jpg

gic128.jpg

Nice books Shep. (thumbs u

You just stole my thunder and I have two of those three arriving

any day now. Oh well, it's a nice preview. :acclaim:

That GIC 202 is harder to find than I thought it would be to go with

the 201 I bought from you. :frustrated:

A box arrived today, including 4 (5 if you count Tomahawk) war books. This is probably the most attractive of the bunch -- especially for a little over $4!

All-American Men of War 80 Aug-60, Grandenetti cover and a Christmas story.

I might post G I Combat 44 (1st DC issue, gray tone) if everyone here has a strong constitution.

Jack

55229-AAMOW80.jpg

A box arrived today, including 4 (5 if you count Tomahawk) war books. This is probably the most attractive of the bunch -- especially for a little over $4!

All-American Men of War 80 Aug-60, Grandenetti cover and a Christmas story.

I might post G I Combat 44 (1st DC issue, gray tone) if everyone here has a strong constitution.

Jack

55229-AAMOW80.jpg

Great book! Love the Grandenetti from that period. I got hooked on war comics because Kubert and Heath were so prolific in them, but the guy whose style grew on me the most (especially from his late 50s/early 60s period) is Grandenetti. His earlier stuff wasn't always as fine (though again, I can think of some outstanding examples), but his lines and the angularity of his figures during THAT period are killer.

Wait, Heath wrote this story? Or should we take that to read he co-plotted it or plotted it? Or they did this one Marvel style and then Kanigher did the dialogue? OAAW 244 is my favorite issue of all time. Next time I see Russ at a show I'll ask him if he still has it.

Here's the quote:

Now and then I would try to do something like a “collector’s item.” At first, I think I did a Sgt. Rock that was called “Easy’s First Tiger,” [Our Army at War #244] meaning it was the first time in the war our side had seen the Tiger Tank. Rock said “What the hell is this?!?” It was more heavily armored, it had a bigger gun and it could knock off our tanks before we could get in range. I thought it was an interesting thing, so I wrote the story just about the tank. It had a snorkel, it could go under water, and it had a sealable rubber ring around the turret...you need air to breathe and to run the engine and of course you could have the exhaust just go out. It was all these different things and I worked them into that story and for the opening shot, I thought I’m going to do the definitive Tiger Tank so no one needs to bother to try it again [laughs]. I used photographs and I just knocked myself out and everyone seemed to love it.

and here's a link to the interview:

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=003713

The first time I went to a panel that had Russ on it, Marv Wolfman was another panelist. Marv said that he was working in the DC offices at the time and Russ was in Chicago when the pages for 244 arrived in the mail. Marv said they passed around the Tiger two-pager around the office, every one in awe.

I think the Spitfires vs. Tigers battle in that issue is also just jaw-dropping.

Mick! :hi:

Yo Marc!

Yeah, I think Heath actually wrote that Easy's First Tiger in its entirety. Not that Kanigher was any slouch, but I think that's part of why it was so good. Just about anything Heath had such autonomy with could only be viewed with a telescope because it is far beyond our stratosphere.

I know that there are a lot of people who appreciate him, but even then, he's probably among the most underappreciated artists by the majority of people who consider themselves silver age fans. They just DON'T understand.