• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

No problem, Jeff!

And Larry, I think that if you're happy with the book once it arrives, that joy will far outlast the cost of the book.

My own rule of thumb with how much to pay is sort of in line with how I choose grades of books... simply, is this acceptable?

There's the market value of the book, and then there's the value of the book to you. Sometimes those things match up, but often they are WAAAY out of whack.

In the case of GIC #87, the guide goes into the toilet. I was fortunate to have found a nice copy a coupla years back for less than $300, and a solid VG two years before that for less than $200. I remember missing out on a number of ebay VG/FN copies 6 or 7 years ago, in the $150 range. So that book is on the climb, and anything above 5.0, in my opinion, is going to be valuable. The curve on this book gets really steep, really fast.

Feel good about it. It's a sh*t-hot book right now, and I love seeing it in any grade, and day of the week!

Shep

Here's 4 books that I just picked up at the Toronto ComicCon today.

AAMOW #2 Didn't really need this one, but hard to pass up a good deal.

aamow2.jpg

AAMOW #4 Very hard to find from my experience.

aamow4.jpg

OAAW #3 Water damaged and low grade, but a tough book.

oaaw3.jpg

GIC #98 I'm hoping this will grade out at a Fine +, but we'll see... :wishluck:

gic98.jpg

Andy

Terrific Grandenetti cover!

aamow4.jpg

That OAAW #3 has a kinda primitive look (very Golden Agey), and though I've looked through about 3 different complete collections of DC war and have seen the Gerber guide many times, I just can't recall ever seeing it. I don't really care all that much about the earlier stuff and because it's so ridiculously expensive, I tended to pass on it (with a few exceptions) so I might have just run quickly through the first 20 or so when I thumbed through the war runs (war runs. . .hmmmm. Not a soldier's affliction though it sounds like one). But man, THAT cover just looks like something I've NEVER seen. Has to be tough as nails to find. Marc probably has the only other existing copy (that's not buried in somebody like Andy's collection) on the planet.

That OAAW #3 has a kinda primitive look (very Golden Agey), and though I've looked through about 3 different complete collections of DC war and have seen the Gerber guide many times, I just can't recall ever seeing it. I don't really care all that much about the earlier stuff and because it's so ridiculously expensive, I tended to pass on it (with a few exceptions) so I might have just run quickly through the first 20 or so when I thumbed through the war runs (war runs. . .hmmmm. Not a soldier's affliction though it sounds like one). But man, THAT cover just looks like something I've NEVER seen. Has to be tough as nails to find. Marc probably has the only other existing copy (that's not buried in somebody like Andy's collection) on the planet.

#2 is as tough as nails, incredibly scarce. I've only seen 1 copy in person and one on the Heritage auctions. It was the Bethlehem pedigree and I have been kicking myself ever since that auction for not bidding HIGH. (I believe that used to be part of Keith's collection). This is my 3rd copy of OAAW #3 so I don't feel it's so tough. I will be selling my lowest graded one once I compare with my current copies.

so I might have just run quickly through the first 20 or so when I thumbed through the war runs

The first 20 books are always the most exciting for me. Especially in Our Army At War and Star Spangled War Stories, you do not see many of these early issues as they are very tough to find. 2c

Andy

Nice one, Brent! (thumbs u

The auction has started?

Andy

Yup, there's at least 50 Our Army at War (and others from the big 5) up for auction. All are no reserve except for the OAAW #1 CGC 5.0 and a few others. Lots of stunning MASS copies and early issues in high grade that you just never see.

Here's a link: War books in auction