• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Stephen Ritter books were nice and big prices to match, well atleast the ones graded by CGC. He didn't have much raw war. Here are some of my finds.

DCSpecial26.jpg[/img]

GI.jpg[/img]

OurArmyatWar184.jpg[/img]

Nice books!

Andy

Hiya Dmac,

They're ALL too high-priced. $350 for a Good-Very Good GIC 87?? That's obscene. That book should and DOES command multiples at grades above VG or Fine, but not for something less than that. Just because something sells for multiples of guide in mid or high grade, it's not a shoe-in for rip-off multiples in Good-VG.

Same can be said for the other ones. $250 for a FAIR???? Unless it's a key golden age book, NOTHING is worth $250 in Fair.

Double guide for a Good copy of OAAW #1? Why?

If you waited for ebay, you'd get EVERY one of those books cheaper than what they're asking . . .and they DO show up on ebay in those grades.

Seriously, this bullshiitt has gone too far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OUR-ARMY-AT-WAR-83-1ST-TRUE-SGT-ROCK-1959-GD-1-8-2-0_W0QQitemZ360045003989QQihZ023QQcategoryZ14213QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jeff,

Yup, that's an -wiper if ever I saw one.

I'm not sure where the frenzy is coming from... maybe it's coming from enthusiasts like us. But I can't let my joy for these books be overshadowed by the potential increases that might come from talking about them.

Here's the kicker... if the on-again/off-again Sgt. Rock movie gets green-lighted (some were saying it was close, and getting the Sin City live action/digital treatment) VG copies of that book will be up over $1000.

Shep

Back in 2001 I did some war book buying on ebay and got some nicer books and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy more. :( Back then there didn't seem to be the interest that there is now.

I wish I could go back 15 years or so when I was buying bronze age superhero stuff and buy war books instead. doh!

These silly prices and the apparent feeding frenzy is sapping my enthusiasm and my resolve. I'm wondering now how I'm ever going to get some of the books I want.

I'm just glad I already have my OAAW 83

th_OAAW83CGC.jpgth_OAAW83CGClabel.jpg

:cloud9:

It looks looks like I am definitely priced out of early Rock appearances as well as GIC #87. :sorry:

It's a tough situation, we want to share our love of these books in threads like this one and thus increase the attention the books get and drive up the demand. I remember just about 4 years ago passing on a GIC 87 for 150$ because I was more focused on finishing my Avengers run at the time, how I wish I could find that same deal today :cry:

However, it nice to see this genre finally getting the attention it deserves.

Hiya Dmac,

They're ALL too high-priced. $350 for a Good-Very Good GIC 87?? That's obscene. That book should and DOES command multiples at grades above VG or Fine, but not for something less than that. Just because something sells for multiples of guide in mid or high grade, it's not a shoe-in for rip-off multiples in Good-VG.

Same can be said for the other ones. $250 for a FAIR???? Unless it's a key golden age book, NOTHING is worth $250 in Fair.

If you waited for ebay, you'd get EVERY one of those books cheaper than what they're asking . . .and they DO show up on ebay in those grades.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OUR-ARMY-AT-WAR-83-1ST-TRUE-SGT-ROCK-1959-GD-1-8-2-0_W0QQitemZ360045003989QQihZ023QQcategoryZ14213QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That near mint beauty came from my last ebay sale. It sold for $260. I was very pleased with it, obviously, but my beater GIC 87 only got about $150. Mind you, that had extra staples in it, so....

The fuel for these crazy prices is most definitely coming from us, the collectors. Sorry, I should add that the speculator/investor have now joined the fruckus. Once the word got out that war books were undervalued, more people started buying. The high prices due to the speculator/investor should really just stop at high grade copies and keys. It is pretty amazing to see some of the prices that these books are getting, but if you search, you will still find some deals. The non-key books are readily available, for the most part, in lower grades and with very affordable prices. The semi-keys are picking up extremely fast and genuine high grade copies seem to go up into the stratosphere. I do feel for the collector who is still missing some of the higher priced books, as I feel these have nowhere to go but up. Patience is a key, that and also hoping someone lists them incorrectly on eBay. :wishluck:

Andy

It looks looks like I am definitely priced out of early Rock appearances as well as GIC #87. :sorry:

It's a tough situation, we want to share our love of these books in threads like this one and thus increase the attention the books get and drive up the demand. I remember just about 4 years ago passing on a GIC 87 for 150$ because I was more focused on finishing my Avengers run at the time, how I wish I could find that same deal today :cry:

It also doesn't help when you actually think you have a shot at winning something only to get totally blown out of the water by one of the big boys. Some of them are forumites. If that sounds bitter, then you're bitter-meter is working perfectly. :grin:

I will agree that it's nice to see the genre get some love, but buying these days is very frustrating if you don't have deep pockets.

I was showing a superhero collector at the NY Con a couple war books and I prefaced it with "Don't laugh. You collect men in tights." I think he got the point. ;)

We can't have it both ways. Either it's disrespect and cheap books or it's respect and a new level for prices. It seems very likely the boards and the Keith Marlow sale were catalysts for the current interest.

I was showing a superhero collector at the NY Con a couple war books and I prefaced it with "Don't laugh. You collect men in tights." I think he got the point. ;)

We can't have it both ways. Either it's disrespect and cheap books or it's respect and a new level for prices. It seems very likely the boards and the Keith Marlow sale were catalysts for the current interest.

Hmmm. Very interesting. But ask yourself this: "Do we want war books to be more respected by mainstream collectors? - Thus, driving up demand, drying up the market and skyrocketing the prices? I say thee NAY! War books are dirty and trashy - they deserve no place in the mainstream market! ;)

And just for the record, as bad as war books are, 50's DC/Atlas Sci-Fi are even worse!

Bill

... It is pretty amazing to see some of the prices that these books are getting, but if you search, you will still find some deals. The non-key books are readily available, for the most part, in lower grades and with very affordable prices. ...

Total for all three under $20 including a share of shipping from a board sales thread.

Defects, sure, but nice bright covers and light pages.

GIC96.jpg

GIC112.jpg

Fight85.jpg

Jack

Hiya Dmac,

That near mint beauty came from my last ebay sale. It sold for $260. I was very pleased with it, obviously, but my beater GIC 87 only got about $150. Mind you, that had extra staples in it, so....

The fuel for these crazy prices is most definitely coming from us, the collectors. Sorry, I should add that the speculator/investor have now joined the fruckus. Once the word got out that war books were undervalued, more people started buying. The high prices due to the speculator/investor should really just stop at high grade copies and keys. It is pretty amazing to see some of the prices that these books are getting, but if you search, you will still find some deals. The non-key books are readily available, for the most part, in lower grades and with very affordable prices. The semi-keys are picking up extremely fast and genuine high grade copies seem to go up into the stratosphere. I do feel for the collector who is still missing some of the higher priced books, as I feel these have nowhere to go but up. Patience is a key, that and also hoping someone lists them incorrectly on eBay. :wishluck:

Andy

Just wondering, maybe you guys can give feedback. What would you consider high grade in war books? My thought is 8.0 - 9.2, most anything above that is unattainable, if not already available. Looked up some analysis on the census, it seems that 8.5 is the highest average. Any thoughts?

Hmmm. Very interesting. But ask yourself this: "Do we want war books to be more respected by mainstream collectors? - Thus, driving up demand, drying up the market and skyrocketing the prices? I say thee NAY! War books are dirty and trashy - they deserve no place in the mainstream market! ;)

And just for the record, as bad as war books are, 50's DC/Atlas Sci-Fi are even worse!

Bill

Amen! Preach it, brother! :headbang:

What's high grade in war books?

Everyone has a different scale... here's mine.

War books 1975 forward... high grade starts at 9.4

War books 1970-74 forward high grade starts are 9.0/9.2

War books 1965-1969 forward high grade starts at 8.0

War books 1960-64 forward high grade starts at 7.0

War books 1957-1959 forward, high grade starts at 6.0

War books prior to 1957, any thing VG and up is welcome.

I am truly amazed at how few REALLY nice copies exist of books prior to 1960.

Hope that helps!

Shep

Great books Jack! I love the cover on the Fight Comics, and that GIC #96 is just a classic cover :applause:

Thanks!

The rest of the books in the batch were nice too. I'll "sort" them into the right threads -- all Silver. Strictly speaking, the Fight from 1953 is pre-Silver (late Gold, Atomic, whatever).

Jack

Great books Jack! I love the cover on the Fight Comics, and that GIC #96 is just a classic cover :applause:

Thanks!

The rest of the books in the batch were nice too. I'll "sort" them into the right threads -- all Silver. Strictly speaking, the Fight from 1953 is pre-Silver (late Gold, Atomic, whatever).

Jack

Fabulous colors on that fight!! :o

Thanks!

Jack

Fabulous colors on that fight!! :o

Thanks again!

It looks better than its grade because of water damage.

Jack