• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

GOD I wish I had a local comic shop that still got war comics....

It's probably been four years since any shop in Toronto has had in any nice silver age war books in any kind of nice grade.

You are very, very lucky Dmac to be finding such gems locally... good stuff.

Shep

Here's my run of Mlle. Marie from Star Spangled War Stories. Recently slabbed so I'll never be able to look at the awful artwork inside. :cloud9:

SSWS #84

ssws84.jpg

SSWS #85

ssws85.jpg

SSWS #86

ssws86.jpg

SSWS #87

ssws87.jpg

SSWS #88

ssws88.jpg

SSWS #89

ssws89.jpg

SSWS #91 (She's not on the cover, but she sure is inside)

ssws91.jpg

That's all folks! :grin:

Andy

Edited by thirdgreenham

Wow Guys, Those are some Awesome runs your posting lately!!!

Good Job,

Larry

btw: Band of brothers box set at Costco for $39.99.

Also, the next time a GIC 87 comes up on e-bay remind (pm) me that I already have the book. :cloud9:

Edited by Hedge

Don't you hate that? I have lost out on quite a few last minute snipes lately because of the whole 'US-bidders only' thing.

And dudes - NICE BOOKS LATELY. Seems like everyone is getting their share these days - great to see! :headbang:

Shep

Nothing like a killer run of Mlle. Maries to start the day! I wish they'd carried the series on longer than that. They should've started the dinosaurs later and let Marie run for at least another 10 issues--one of the smallest runs of anything in ALL of the DC universe.

I thought some of the SA War guys might want to participate in this.

Link

Yep, its that time of year folks. Time to dust off those Atlas war covers & polish those Timely Schomburgs with Nazis being blown to smithereens to a fine shine, because the 2nd Annual Memorial Week Post-A-Thon is coming.

For those who weren't here a year ago, the concept is simple. We pledge an amount per war cover that we are willing to donate to the veterans organization of our choosing (typically, a dime per cover). Or we make a standard flat pledge.

We then overload the thread with as many Golden Age war covers as we collectively own, of all grades and publishers. The goal is to raise some money and get it into the hands of organizations that deal exclusively with vets, in honor and remembrance of their service and sacrifice to this country.

Last year, we raised $1,900 in donations to various Veterans groups, and I'm looking to beat that this year by at least $1k. In the process, we got to share in some of the best war covers of the 40s and 50s. (Richie Evan's collection of Timelys is not to be believed \(worship\) )

The Post-A-Thon will kick-off on the beginning of the Holiday weekend (Friday, May 23rd) and go all the way up to actual Memorial Day (Friday, May 30th).

I will have more information and places to donate in this thread within the week.

It's okay if you don't have GA war books to post -- you can participate by posting war books from another era or just by pledging.

If you just want to browse a cool thread with lots of war books:

Link

Here's my run of Mlle. Marie from Star Spangled War Stories. Recently slabbed so I'll never be able to look at the awful artwork inside. :cloud9:

SSWS #84

ssws84.jpg

SSWS #85

ssws85.jpg

SSWS #86

ssws86.jpg

SSWS #87

ssws87.jpg

SSWS #88

ssws88.jpg

SSWS #89

ssws89.jpg

ssws91.jpg

Andy

Nice books!

(thumbs u

SSWS #84

ssws84.jpg

SSWS #85

ssws85.jpg

SSWS #86

ssws86.jpg

SSWS #87

ssws87.jpg

SSWS #88

ssws88.jpg

SSWS #89

ssws89.jpg

ssws91.jpg

Andy

Dont forget SSWS #90. Although this one is tough to get because its the first app/cover of the WAR BEFORE TIME series, there is a great Marie story in this one as well.

Bill

SSWS_90.jpg