• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

$250 for a 7.0?!? That's 4x guide.

I just bought a raw 7.5/8.0 on eBay for $32 that looks nicer. Seems like slabbing silver DC war, even in upper mid grades, adds a lot to the value. This is not the first time I have seen sales like this. Slabbed 10 cent greytones go for a lot more in a slab. Weird.

http://www.comiclink.com/./itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dcombat%26ItemType%3DCB&id=755039

Here is the copy I got last week...

gic94.jpg

That's the way to do it, Andy. Cherry pick the sweeties. Many of my pre-Haunted Tank G.I. Combats were acquired that way... just keep trolling the raw copies on ebay, and pile in when they come up.

All of these were ebay pickups... the only really expensive one Was #54, which I think was $70.

]th_gic51.jpgth_gic54.jpg]th_gic56.jpgth_gic52.jpgth_gic53.jpg]th_gic58.jpgth_gic62.jpg

I just bought a raw 7.5/8.0 on eBay for $32 that looks nicer. Seems like slabbing silver DC war, even in upper mid grades, adds a lot to the value. This is not the first time I have seen sales like this. Slabbed 10 cent greytones go for a lot more in a slab. Weird.

http://www.comiclink.com/./itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dcombat%26ItemType%3DCB&id=755039

gic94.jpg

:takeit:

gic94.jpg

:takeit:

:frustrated: I'm always late to the party!!!

the only really expensive one Was #54, which I think was $70.

A steal at that price. What a beauty!

Thanks Andy. It has a 1/4" hairline tear on the back cover, but at that price, I wasn't complaining.

I bought it three years ago, and I remember first seeing it as a completed item, and kicking myself that I missed it. About a month later, it showed up again... can't remember if it was the same seller or a flip.

I don't see enough of these books in the 50 and 60 numbers from this title. They're just TOUGH!

Shep

I was thinking about the OFF 71 and the GIC 69 & 83 and how similar those are, but I'm not sure they've ever been displayed here in close proximity. On the "30 Days Hath Sept." thread (that's now extending well beyond Sept. into the 70 numbers), I was mentioning that these three comprise the "GIs-waiting-and-sweating-under-jungle-foliage-with-weapons-pointing-at-5:00-as-the-unseen-enemy-approaches" Grandenetti trifecta.

gic69.jpg

gic83140.jpg

off71.jpg

Edited by Comick1

Hats off to Paratrooper and all the other vets on Veterans Day. Whether or not I agree with the political decisions that placed you in harms way, a sincere thanks for your military service as well as any other folks on these boards who served in the military.

Mick

I was thinking about the OFF 71 and the GIC 69 & 83 and how similar those are, but I'm not sure they've ever been displayed here in close proximity. On the "30 Days Hath Sept." thread (that's now extending well beyond Sept. into the 70 numbers), I was mentioning that these three comprise the "GIs-waiting-and-sweating-under-jungle-foliage-with-weapons-pointing-at-5:00-as-the-unseen-enemy-approaches" Grandenetti trifecta.

gic69.jpg

gic83140.jpg

off71.jpg

Mick,

I've always loved those three books.... for sure GIC #83 and OFF #71 are psychic cousins.

Sweet copies, as always!

Shep

My fav is the OFF71 if for no other reason than Pooch.

. . .and the greens in the foliage

. . .and the netting on Gunner's helmet

. . .and the way Sarge is biting his lips

. . .and the more simplified / abstract mugshots

. . .and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the, and the

Edited by Comick1

My only complaint is that they should NEVER have pasted on the "Gunner and Sarge in" and "The End of the Marines" banners. With these kinds of covers, less words are more. The GIC 78 resonates so well because of the complete LACK of words (not to mention it having teeth-grinding artwork).

I agree with the lack of words on covers for sure Mick... GI Combat #78 is it's own complete statement.

I am now going off to serenade my comics, buy singing 'More than Words' by the 90s soft-rock two-hit wonders, Extreme.

Sniff,

Shep