• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

I just made this same post in Comics General, but I wanted to share it with my best buds as well:

In 2007 I set a goal to get a complete run of the Big Five.

All American Men Of War (118 issues)

G.I. Combat (245 issues)

Our Army At War (422 issues)(#'s 301 to 422 are titled Sgt. Rock)

Our Fighting Forces (181 issues)

Star Spangled War Stories (269 issues)(#'s 205-268 are titled Unknown Soldier)

On Sept. 28/07, I did it!

I had many doubles and I figured I'd work on a second set. Well, yesterday I just received the final book to complete my second run of the Big Five! I did it again! :D Thanks to Andy (goldust40) for the last book, Star Spangled War Stories #5.

ssws5.jpg

The first run was harder than the second run and many of the books that I found were difficult the first time around were pretty easy for me the second time. I'm not too sure what I'm going to do now, but it seems I still have the incurable sickness of upgrading. :frustrated:

Thanks for listening again, folks! (thumbs u

Andy

My sale may be my VCC booth, not sure. I may try to have one before the VCC, but time is so precious and I'm seeing just how little of it I really have right now.

Thanks buddy!

Andy

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! (worship)

Congratulations!!!

I really like that SSWS that filled out Set #2.

What th'???

Two full Big-5 runs??? As far as I know, only Pedrin was able to do that (he claimed he had 3, though I "only" saw one paltry complete group).

I'm thinking you need to beat his record, Andy! Go for 5 sets just to have a sizable margin on Pedrin.

I, for one, would like to see a long shot picture of ALL of them (2 copies deep). The way I'd envision it would be for you to set them up on the bleachers of a basketball gymnasium and put one whole title on one seat row, another on another seat row, and so on. That would truly be an a$$-kickin picture!

Did you discover any common threads as far as attaining difficult issues when you completed both runs?

What a great trio, Mick! (worship) That's by far the best copy of OAAW #23 I've ever seen. (thumbs u

Common thread? Star Spangled War Stories are tough. The earlier issues up to #35 probably, with a few select ones below #10 and some from #20-30 being very tough. I've always found Our Army At War to be tough for issues under #30, with the #10-15 being a bit harder.

Putting these runs together has been so much fun and I'm really glad I did it. Now's probably a good time to put another one together, but that project is not for me. Books can be picked up really cheaply these days and it really is a buyer's market. If you're considering trying this, I'm here to tell you "go for it" and to give you that little push off the fence.

DC war. :cloud9:

Andy