• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Ditto that. I think DC fantasy/sci-fi and DC war collectors both have an appreciation for the rarity of truly high-grade specimens -- especially those that still have as-printed cover colors and fresh interior pages. It makes for a wonderful life-long challenge.

(thumbs u

Lifelong challenge indeed!

I've been working on it for about 20 years now and I'm not even close to wrapping it up. . .maybe 40% of the way there.

Besides Newsboys (Motor City), Salidas, and some River Cities, I haven't seen much else in the way of 10¢ war book collections. It's always been like Shep described it. For the last decade or so, I've felt especially lucky if I score 2 books at a time. Don't even remember the last time I got 3 or more.

Shep, besides the Bethlehem OFF #1 which passed through my hands a number of years back, I haven't seen any other Bethlehem war books (maybe a couple I've seen but am forgetting). I've heard there were a lot. DOes anybody have any other ones?

Thanks to Adam for helping me out with that savory Newsboy post.

There was a Salida thread that we started and haven't posted to in awhile.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=686295&fpart=1

What do people have in the way of River Cities? Somebody wanna post those?

Edited by Comick1

They are indeed a fun challenge where progess is measured book by book.

I've been working on it for about 20 years now and I'm not even close to wrapping it up. . .maybe 40% of the way there.

Besides Newsboys (Motor City), Salidas, and some River Cities, I haven't seen much else in the way of 10¢ war book collections. It's always been like Shep described it. For the last decade or so, I've felt especially lucky if I score 2 books at a time. Don't even remember the last time I got 3 or more.

Shep, besides the Bethlehem OFF #1 which passed through my hands a number of years back, I haven't seen any other Bethlehem war books (maybe a couple I've seen but am forgetting). I've heard there were a lot. DOes anybody have any other ones?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=686295&fpart=1

Hey Mick,

There was a Bethlehem copy of OAAW #1 as well... Metro had it for sale for the longest time. Ungraded VF/VF+.

Shep

Changing the subject a little, but is it me or have there been NEXT TO NO WAR BOOKS on the selling threads lately.

There've been dribs and drabs, but as far as a solid string of war books (from any era) it's been next to nada.

Or am I missing all the good ?

Shep

You ain't hallucinating, Shep. Seems kinda sparse lately, doesn't it. Not that I've EVER had good timing on those sales threads. I'm always the last to know about them. Only when I actually monitor them vigilantly, now THAT's when nobody posts jackzhit.

Edited by Comick1

Yeah, its been weak lately for war books. My last purchase was from a Dale Robert's sales thread around the beginning of July.

Only when I actually monitor them vigilantly, now THAT's when nobody posts jackzhit.

Well, if you and adamstrange throw up some of your choice copies it'll be smorgasborg for the rest of us. :baiting::grin:

Yeah, Jeff, the last book I got was from Dale's thread too.

Been a horrible dry patch. Hopefully, it'll get better soon. I'd love to find some VF Gunner and Sarge books... not a lot of that stuff going these days.

Shep

I picked a ton of stuff up before San Diego, I will be listing some of that soon. Unfortunately some of you guys who were at San Diego have already seen some of it, but you other guys should like it alot.

:applause:

Looks like I'm not going to be able to buy the kids new shoes to go back to school. :(

Oh well. :cloud9:

Here's a Bethlehem war book that I found a few years ago:

USParatroops2ped.jpg

Here's a Bethlehem war book that I found a few years ago:

USParatroops2ped.jpg

Very nice! :applause:

Guys, I was wondering - are there complete lists of the silver age DC war books from the following pedigrees/collections:

- White Mountain

- River City

- Salida

- Bethlehem

- Newsboy

- Boston

- Diamond Run

- Pacific Coast

- Were there any early war books in the Edgar Church collection (considering it was largely complete, and ended in 1954/55)

Also, a question about the Salidas...

I know that the collection came to light through one individual, but he initially kept a large portion of them for himself. Considering the collection was purported to contain complete runs of not just the DC war books, but also the Atlas war books of the 1950s - and considering how few of these books have appeared (on these boards at least) - would it be safe to say that a large number of these books have not made it to market?

If I've got any of that info wrong, please forgive me.

Thanks - Shep

I think Dan's probably right. Almost indubitably. Just about definite.

There's a small chance that Bruce actually KEPT a few. He claimed (until the last time I talked with him which was about 5 years ago) that he held back some early Rocks and GICs for his own collection. But it's really hard to know how much of that is true today (or ever). The original list included OAAW 83, 85, and 88 which would be keepers if I was fielding the collection, yet Bruce flipped 'em.

Shep, I don't know that the Salida collection was EVER purported to include COMPLETE runs of DC and Atlas. I don't have the original list of Newsboys (maybe Aman does), but going by memory, I'd say that Salida and Newsboy are on par with each other in terms of how comprehensive they are.

The Salidas went earlier than the Newsboys, but had more holes in the runs as I recall. In many cases, there'd be holes of 1-3 simultaneous issues in the Salida runs (sometimes more than 10 as you got to the "outliers" of the range) whereas the Newsboys had an occasional hole here and there, but were more "dense" in the number ranges from beginning to end. That's the way I'm remembering it, anyway.

Shep, I don't know the specifics of the Boston collection (titles and # ranges), but the Massachusetts collection (fielded by Marnin) was a nice group, too. I don't know how early those started, but for the longest time, I thought those were limited to 12¢ and higher. I'm not sure where I heard it, but there was a San Francisco collector about 20 years my senior who scooped a number of Mass copies BEFORE I did. I actually met him and he confirmed that he got a bunch, but the number range HE told me he had were much later and not 10¢ers. He might've told me that just to make me go away (I'm a tenacious bastård). The ONLY 10¢ Mass copy I ever saw (and wound up with) was an OAAW 91 that came through Vinnie before he worked for Metro. But the markings on the bag don't indicate anything about the Mass collection, so I'm not 100% sure that it IS from that collection. The pages on it are more cream to off-white than white and the early 12¢ issues I got from that collection ALL had white pages, so I've never been totally convinced that it IS from the Mass collection. . .especially since I was never able to confirm the existence of anything earlier than boxed 12¢ers.