• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Great discussion, fellas!

At the end of that day, it's all about buying the books you want, in the grades you want, at the prices you can live with.

One thing I love about the collectors on this war thread - there appear to be a lot of 'healthy' collectors... smart, focussed lovers of war books buying up their wants at the pace/price that suits them. To me, that's what it's all about.

In many other threads all over these boards, I've seen the 'my 9.6 is better than your 9.6' bull.... I love the genuine appreciation of the war books that I've seen here, in low, high and mid grade.

War books. Man, how I love 'em.

Shep

Agreed. Great post!

At the end of that day, it's all about buying the books you want, in the grades you want, at the prices you can live with.

I'm getting this tattooed on my forehead for the next time someone comes in the shop and asks me, "What comic should I buy that will be a good investment?"

Great discussion, fellas!

One thing I love about the collectors on this war thread - there appear to be a lot of 'healthy' collectors... smart, focussed lovers of war books buying up their wants at the pace/price that suits them. To me, that's what it's all about.

In many other threads all over these boards, I've seen the 'my 9.6 is better than your 9.6' bull.... I love the genuine appreciation of the war books that I've seen here, in low, high and mid grade.

War books. Man, how I love 'em.

Shep

Agreed. Great post!

Agreed. Well, to every thing except the loving war books part.

:angel:

Didja ever notice how in virtually EVERY other thread, at some point, somebody gets POed at somebody or other and there're all kinds of accusations thrown and somebody's integrity is questioned and somebody goes out of their way to needle somebody in an almost sociopathic way and on and on and on?

and in the WAR COMICS thread (no less), there hasn't been a shred of uncivil discourse. . .EVER.

War comics collectors are de shît.

Didja ever notice how in virtually EVERY other thread, at some point, somebody gets POed at somebody or other and there're all kinds of accusations thrown and somebody's integrity is questioned and somebody goes out of their way to needle somebody in an almost sociopathic way and on and on and on?

and in the WAR COMICS thread (no less), there hasn't been a shred of uncivil discourse. . .EVER.

Mick,

I think it's because we're all geeks, with an aversion to antagonism. :grin:

It's not just on these boards... all the other off-line guys I know who love war books are solid dudes who just want to talk books.

Also, I think that it might come down to the fact that silver age war books are really hard to collect in any grade, and we find a common bond in our own masochism.

Shep

A few years back when I started collecting Timelys (okay, a ton of years back) they were mostly collected, and not invested in. The Timely fans back then would help each other out, pass on tips about found collections, trade books back and forth etc.etc. etc. There are segments of the hobby that are still like that. But the war guys are the most tight-knit group. It is something that, as a dealer, I have always been aware of. But it has been a revelation as I have started collecting them myself. It is really nice to have folks offering me books for a change! (And not trying to bend me over.) And this thread is very much like the threads in Gold where fans just love to share information. That is what makes this so cool.

"Gentlemen, you cant fight in here...its the WAR THREAD!"

"Gentlemen, you cant fight in here...its the WAR THREAD!"

:signfunny:

Pretty happy. I will be adding these two to my collection once they arrive, I think I may have gotten a good deal, still learning the actual prices for DC war books.

OAAW143.jpg

AAMOW55.jpg

Edited by BrianR