• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I really just dabble in DC war, so I'd like some expert feedback if you'd all be so kind; Is G.I. Combat #88 really easy to find? I just had a guy at our tiny, local show sell me a great VG copy for $20. I would have thought the second Haunted Tank would command more respect. (shrug)

Dabbling.. :cloud9:

I have to say that, over time, I have really only been badly, obviously burned on ebay once...

I bought a 'FN and better' lot of Star Spangled Dino' issues... paid around $120 for 9 or 10 books. Got them back and they were G-VGs. I wrote the guy back for a refund, and he basically said 'Too effing bad, chump... and don't even bother crying to ebay, because I don't care.'

In fact, upon getting the books, I looked at the scan (the auction was down, but I pulled the visual onto my desktop) and it was obvious he had photshopped out some flaws.

I let ebay know. Nothing got done.

Overall, though, I typically do all right off the 'bay. 5 years ago I used to spend hours chasing down less-than-obvious auctions that might have war books in them, and they paid off on occasion. Now, finding something that's a deal is more of a fluke than anything else.

Shep

Totally agree with that, Andy.

When I survey my collection, I would say that about 50% were purchases from ebay. As you know, I am a raw-book guy, but I have gotten some ridiculously in-grade books at distinctly bargain basement prices over the years. There are certain things in some listings that just make me say... 'Yup, this is one to go for'.

I would say that about 15% have come from cons. Another 15% through private sales from collectors off places like these boards. And the rest from dealers.

Ebay gets slagged a lot, but can you even imagine collecting war comics without it?

Shep

Ebay gets slagged a lot, but can you even imagine collecting war comics without it?

Shep

I know I couldn't!! E-bay the Boards and Dealers (in that order) is where I get my books and OA!!

Oh yes!! I have been burned a couple of times by over grading but no more than some dealers I had to return books to.

Larry

Edited by Hedge