• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Frontline Combat 14 and Two Fisted Tales 32 and 33 predate any of his DC stuff by a year or so, but his first work for DC is AAMOW 18--his first war cover--circa Feb. 1955. Dated the same month is 1 of about 5 jobs he did for Atlas/Marvel in Battle 37. Then his first DC interior is in AAMOW 20. Around the same time period, he did 4 more stories for Atlas in Battle 41, Marines in Battle 7 & 8, and War Comics 38. He also did some other stories for Atlas well before this, but not from the war genre. Hope this helps.

I got some of this from Atlas Tales, an awesome database online:

http://www.atlastales.com/cr/39/n:39:z:a:o:4:d:ASC:p:1

Fightinmarines26.jpg

Wow Jeff. That is really nice!

Those square bound Charltons are impossible to find in nice shape.

Thanks! I don't normally collect Charlton war comics, as I said above most are truly forgettable. A few though, like the one above, are really nice.

I know it's kinda douchebaggy to complain about the crazy prices some people ask for books, but does this guy actually think he's going to get anywhere near $5000 for this book?

Really?

GIC 83 CGC 9.2 on CLink

:o Maybe I'm the douchebaggy one after all

Wow, 1k less than listing price but.......wow (worship)

his first work for DC is AAMOW 18--his first war cover--circa Feb. 1955.

aamow18.jpg

This thread is useless without scans!

cheeez. youd think an artists would use photo reference when drawing Iwo Jima flag raising. one image has 4 soldiers, the other's got 5!
IIRC the photo was staged so it would seem that artistic license would be allowed.

his first work for DC is AAMOW 18--his first war cover--circa Feb. 1955.

aamow18.jpg

This thread is useless without scans!

Great pink war cover! :cloud9:

cheeez. youd think an artists would use photo reference when drawing Iwo Jima flag raising. one image has 4 soldiers, the other's got 5!
IIRC the photo was staged so it would seem that artistic license would be allowed.

I've read the book, "Flags of my Father" and seen the movie and

just checked with my better half and he has also read the facts in

another book on the History of World War Two in the Pacific and that

picture is the second flag to be raised that day. The first one was bigger

and a higher ranking officer from a different Battalion that didn't take

Mount Surabachi came ashore and sent his runner to get the original

flag and they had another flag raising and combat photographer, Joe

Rosenthall just happened to be there and snapped that famous picture

of the second flag raising.

I guess you could say it was sort of staged. hm

Edited by Fazybones

I've read the book, "Flags of my Father" and seen the movie and

just checked with my better half and he has also read the facts in

another book on the History of World War Two in the Pacific and that

picture is the second flag to be raised that day. The first one was bigger

and a higher ranking officer from a different Battalion that didn't take

Mount Surabachi came ashore and sent his runner to get the original

flag and they had another flag raising and combat photographer, Joe

Rosenthall just happened to be there and snapped that famous picture

of the second flag raising.

I guess you could say it was sort of staged. hm

Thanks for filling in the details! (thumbs u

Just got this from Metro....placed the order on Sunday and had the book by Wednesday. I still can't get over how much this guy looks like an old buddy of mine. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

scan0001-11.jpg

Shep's Budget Buys... a few recent low-cost pickups. The GICs were ebay, the TFT and the SSWS were off the boards.

Best EC war story!

BIg "If" from Frontline Combat 5 :sumo:

I thought this was an interesting list for readers of words. linky

Although I attempted to read a wide range of books during the 21st century's first decade, no single topic occupied more of my time than World War II. Characters on both sides of the conflict burn with complex intensities that few fiction writers can match, and the innumerable make-or-break moments never cease to amaze me. Heroism and tragedy locked arms during WWII, as the very best (and worst) of humankind was displayed on a global stage.

Yet after nearly two decades of devouring WWII titles, I'm not even close to a saturation point thanks to recent work from authors like Rick Atkinson, Jon Meacham, and Antony Beevor. With some difficulty, I was able to narrow my favorite WWII nonfiction of the last 10 years to a tidy list of 10. (I refuse to rank them, however, as any ordering would be heavily influenced by my current mood.) I know I'm leaving some great books out, so feel free to chime in with your own favorites in the comments section.

An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943

The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944

If you haven't read either of these installments from Atkinson's Liberation Trilogy, stop reading this post and go pick them up. You'll thank me.

D-Day: The Battle for Normandy

An honest account of the mistakes and gains made during the largest amphibious invasion in human history.

Ghost Soldiers: The Epic Account of World War II's Greatest Rescue Mission

The story of a daring rescue deep behind enemy lines that Hollywood inexplicably flubbed with 2005's The Great Raid.

The Irregulars: Roald Dahl and the British Spy Ring in Wartime Washington

Before penning such children's classics as James and the Giant Peach, author Roald Dahl made a name for himself as a WWII British spy.

Franklin and Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship

Meacham received significant praise for his 2008 portrait of Andrew Jackson, but this look at the complex relationship between Churchill and FDR is his finest work.

The Duel: The Eighty-Day Struggle Between Churchill and Hitler

John Lukacs examines the fragility of a stand-off that helped preserve Allied hopes during 1940.

Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway

Few battles can rival the drama of Midway, and Jonathan Parshall and Anthony Tully own the definitive look at this pivotal clash.

Flags of Our Fathers: Heroes of Iwo Jima

A powerful tale of honor, loss, and the iconic flag-raising of Iwo Jima.

Brothers in Battle, Best of Friends

Thanks in large part to the stunning HBO series, a handful biographies have been published on the soliders of Stephen Ambrose's Band of Brothers. However, none stayed with me as long as this tale of the friendship between Easy Company's Edward "Babe" Heffron and William "Wild Bill" Guarnere.

Although I attempted to read a wide range of books during the 21st century's first decade, no single topic occupied more of my time than World War II. Characters on both sides of the conflict burn with complex intensities that few fiction writers can match, and the innumerable make-or-break moments never cease to amaze me. Heroism and tragedy locked arms during WWII, as the very best (and worst) of humankind was displayed on a global stage.

Yet after nearly two decades of devouring WWII titles, I'm not even close to a saturation point thanks to recent work from authors like Rick Atkinson, Jon Meacham, and Antony Beevor. With some difficulty, I was able to narrow my favorite WWII nonfiction of the last 10 years to a tidy list of 10. (I refuse to rank them, however, as any ordering would be heavily influenced by my current mood.) I know I'm leaving some great books out, so feel free to chime in with your own favorites in the comments section.

If you haven't read either of these installments from Atkinson's Liberation Trilogy, stop reading this post and go pick them up. You'll thank me.

An honest account of the mistakes and gains made during the largest amphibious invasion in human history.

The story of a daring rescue deep behind enemy lines that Hollywood inexplicably flubbed with 2005's The Great Raid.

Before penning such children's classics as James and the Giant Peach, author Roald Dahl made a name for himself as a WWII British spy.

Meacham received significant praise for his 2008 portrait of Andrew Jackson, but this look at the complex relationship between Churchill and FDR is his finest work.

John Lukacs examines the fragility of a stand-off that helped preserve Allied hopes during 1940.

Few battles can rival the drama of Midway, and Jonathan Parshall and Anthony Tully own the definitive look at this pivotal clash.

Thanks in large part to the stunning HBO series, a handful biographies have been published on the soliders of Stephen Ambrose's Band of Brothers. However, none stayed with me as long as this tale of the friendship between Easy Company's Edward "Babe" Heffron and William "Wild Bill" Guarnere.

Thanks for posting this list Adam and I can't wait to show my better

half and see if he hasn't read any of those. Since he's been off work

injured it seems he spends more and more time at the library and will

pass on certain books to me that he claims are must reads.

hm The only strange thing is sometimes I get home from work and

he claims he's been at the library and I always seem to miss those

days the library is selling beer. (shrug)

Thanks for posting this list Adam and I can't wait to show my better

half and see if he hasn't read any of those. Since he's been off work

injured it seems he spends more and more time at the library and will

pass on certain books to me that he claims are must reads.

hm The only strange thing is sometimes I get home from work and

he claims he's been at the library and I always seem to miss those

days the library is selling beer. (shrug)

He might be sneaking the beer INTO the Library....I used to do it all the time (shrug) GOD BLESS...

He might be sneaking the beer INTO the Library....I used to do it all the time (shrug) GOD BLESS...

:o I'm shocked Jim and you seem like such a well behaved young

man.

Our library is only walking distance away and in between there is

a liquor store and he can barely keep a straight face when he trys

to lay that BS on me. :makepoint:

:o I'm shocked Jim and you seem like such a well behaved young

man.

Our library is only walking distance away and in between there is

a liquor store and he can barely keep a straight face when he trys

to lay that BS on me. :makepoint:

I haven't done that in a LONG time lol GOD BLESS...

Great books Shep and you really are the master of finding sweet

deals on e-bay. That GIC 110 is Beautiful. :cloud9:

It was sort of a sad day and I shipped off a package of books that

I donated for hopefully the punishment in some form of Danny

Dupcheck for scamming collectors for years. :(

The mailman arrived and my day changed drastically and my

CGC 7.0 GIC 97 arrived along with another raw book that I won

from my favorite e-bay seller. :luhv:

GIC97cgc70.jpg

My scanner is brutal trying to scan a slab.

Picture1012.jpg

And these few freebies from one of the nicest guys in the

hobby. DC War collectors RULE!!!! :headbang:

Picture1010.jpg

Picture1008.jpg

Picture1009.jpg

Picture1011-2.jpg

Picture1013.jpg

Picture1014.jpg

Picture1015.jpg

Picture1016.jpg

Picture1017.jpg

:o:banana::banana:

Thank you Keith!! (worship)

:foryou:

Who says they don't believe in Karma? (shrug)

Edited by Fazybones