• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

If I wanted to run a thread or thread within a thread asking about the most intense war comic by company, where should it go so all of you would see it? Here and crosspost to the bronze thread? Comics general?

I think your thread has started. :foryou:

I would nominate "White Devil, Yellow Devil" and "Dirty Job" by Alex Toth.

For EC, "Big If" is my favorite though "Corpse on the Imjun" is also outstanding.

If anyone ever does a comic adaptation of The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang that would be the most intense war comic.

My vote for Marvel, as silly as it sounds, is Sgt. Fury 18 and the death of Fury's girl Pam Hawley. And #19 is wall to wall pissed off Sgt. Fury out for revenge. "An Eye For An Eye" indeed.

If anyone ever does a comic adaptation of The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang that would be the most intense war comic.

That would certainly qualify. If anyone did a comic adaption of either the Nazi invasion of Russia or the Soviet conquest of eastern Germany, both of those would also qualify.

My vote for Marvel, as silly as it sounds, is Sgt. Fury 18 and the death of Fury's girl Pam Hawley. And #19 is wall to wall pissed off Sgt. Fury out for revenge. "An Eye For An Eye" indeed.

Sgt. Fury had some really great issues in the late 1960s... I always like #75's 'The Deserter' or my personal favorite issue from that run, #81's 'The All-American.' Gritty and in their own special way, sort of heartbreaking.

Largely overlooked by DC snobs like myself, but great story telling by Gary Friedrich and Art by Johnny Severin.

Shep

That would certainly qualify. If anyone did a comic adaption of either the Nazi invasion of Russia or the Soviet conquest of eastern Germany, both of those would also qualify.

These two remind me of some of my choices. The Dell Combat (Bataan Death March) certainly packs a lot of Japanese cruelty/ferocity into a few pages. And the Johann's Tiger one-shot has the whole vibe Jeffro is talking about.

(thumbs u

SF18FMay65.jpg

A few stories that stick out for me are " What's the price of a B-17" from

OAAW 79 and I really enjoyed "Blood is the Code" from SSWS 160 where

the Unknown Soldier intentionally gets captured by the Japanese and has

a battle of mind games with the Commander of the prison camp.

There are so many more I can't remember right now and the story Shep

mentioned from OAAW 196 was awesome and I enjoyed most of the

stories from the OAAW run from 181 to 260 with a few exceptions. Russ

Heath drew some fantastic inside art during that part of the run and when

you add a few U.S.S. Stephens stories those books are hard to beat IMO.

Many of the Enemy Ace stories were fantastic from SSWS.

Keep them coming guys. :applause:

I really enjoyed "Blood is the Code" from SSWS 160 where

the Unknown Soldier intentionally gets captured by the Japanese and has

a battle of mind games with the Commander of the prison camp.

Nice one! This reminds me of the Kanigher deal where they felt they had a new audience every four years or so, so the Rock, naked in the snow, story I read around 1981 was really the same story as one from the 60s (as I found out over two decades later).

In the same way, DC did the exact same captured by the Japanese story in Unknown Soldier 209, not that many years later.

Sgt. Fury had some really great issues in the late 1960s... I always like #75's 'The Deserter' or my personal favorite issue from that run, #81's 'The All-American.' Gritty and in their own special way, sort of heartbreaking.

Largely overlooked by DC snobs like myself, but great story telling by Gary Friedrich and Art by Johnny Severin.

Shep

:applause:

"The Silent Ones" is another great Kubert to add to your excellent recommendations. (thumbs u

"The Silent Ones" is another great Kubert to add to your excellent recommendations. (thumbs u

Excellent idea Marc and thanks for everyone's input so far. (thumbs u

Is there anyway I could ask you guys to list the title and the issue

number for a noob like me. :blush:

I know Bill977 :hi: is mainly a raw collector and reader with

tons of experience in this genre and I would love to hear some of your favorites. :wishluck:

Here's a book I recently picked up off my favorite E-bay seller and can

hardly wait to read this baby.

OAAW2550.jpg

For EC, "Big If" is my favorite though "Corpse on the Imjun" is also outstanding.

I'm going to have to look up Dirty Job, as I'm not sure if I know it. (Fay, if you just go to comics.org and search by story title, you should be able to find the specific comic for any of these recommendations.)

And again, I'm looking for most intense, though the most intense are sometimes the best too. I tend to doubt that the Bataan issue is the "best" of Dell war books though. Quite an interesting issue. Besides the main story the inside front cover is an illustrated text page about the Japanese love and theory of bathing. The inside back cover is about ritual suicide! Yes, in a Dell.

For Our Fighting Forces, I'd say that #152's 'A Small Place in Hell' is the most intense issue of that title. I know that the Kirby issues were polarizing (I love them) but in my opinion, I don't think any other DC war comic packed as much action, panel for panel, than this book. Essentially, the Losers stumble into the wrong town and have to fight their way out, room to room and house to house. Kirby was on his narrative game here, and there's an undeniable energy and tension in that book.

Love that issue!

Shep

And again, I'm looking for most intense, though the most intense are sometimes the best too.

I'm interpreting "intense" broadly and the stories I cited were ones that were psychologically intense, not necessarily intense in terms of action, looming danger or explicit violence. Thinking about, all would probably be more intense on subsequent readings than the first.

I'm going to have to look up Dirty Job, as I'm not sure if I know it. (Fay, if you just go to comics.org and search by story title, you should be able to find the specific comic for any of these recommendations.)

"White Devil, Yellow Devil" is from SSWS 164.

"A DirtyJob" is from OAAW 241

hey war guys and gals;james payette had a few of the scarce issues of our army at war(in the 40s) on ebay. my 1st intense war story was our army at war 233. i was young,had a friend in nam who knew alot about the my lai occurence. then i discovered ec's war stories. oh and i snagged the oaaw 43 and 46 from payette. havent seen a 43 in many moons for sale

also a story by keiji nakazawa called i saw it. about hiroshima and the a-bomb. its reprinted in a book called the mammoth book of best war stories. and this book also reprints a few dell war stories from sam glanzman. well worth the 8 bucks i bought it for from amazon