• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

+1

About time you joined the proceedings, dude.

Of course!

I do believe the comment was, and I quote:

“Hey dude, you better get your *spoon* on the boards soon - or we’re gonna hafta kick yer *spoon*!”

Lotta bluster. It's all this talk about Sgt. Rock that gets my teacher-peacenik åss all in a tizzy.

It's like we're living dichotomies Mick, living dichotomies.

Edited by Wild Bill Kelso

Agreed- Overstreet will take the conservative approach when it comes to this book. I'm just hoping that this book one day get the respect it truly deserves in terms of its value. I'd be curious to see where Rock's 1st app. would place in a top 20 SA keys in terms of value on this forum. Where do you think it would place?

I think it will... And not too far out either.

If you are talking straight dollar performance, then you can't discount the fact that an 8.0 just sold for $17k (not to mention the meaty ensuing sales on lessor grades). That puts it in contention with books in the 10th thru 15th place spectrum doncha agree?

Edited by Wild Bill Kelso

I hope I’m wrong. You can then make fun of me.

It won't take you being wrong for me to make fun of you. :grin:

OK, I was dumb enough to open the door on that one. Bedrock 1, Kelso 0.... But, it's only the first quarter.

And still are. Bedrock 2, Kelso 0 ;)

So today we are going to teach young Mr. Kelso how to post images. Soon our new friend will be an image posting fool. Get comfy boys and girls :popcorn:

When Grandenetti was good, he was very, very good! :headbang:

aamow62-1.jpg

A few war books I've had for a quite some time, but just recently got a CGC-friendly scanner so finally getting around to posting them. The first two I've already posted, but hopefully these scans are better than the last ones:

aamow79.jpg

aamow90.jpg

WOW Mick!! :o Awesome books and I love your new scanner. :luhv:

How many of you out there thinks the soldier on the cover of AAMOW 79

has a striking resemblance with Sgt Rock or is it just me?

Do you have a GIC 54 you could post? You do realize you owe me a small

favor one day. :wishluck: Maybe an under copy of SSWS 81? (shrug)

Fay,

I'll definitely pass you first right of refusal on my under-copy of SSWS 81 just as soon as I get an under-copy. Of course, in order to have an "under-copy," I'd need to have 2 and that's gonna be tough since I don't even have a single copy of SSWS 81 to begin with. Much to my chagrin, that's one of the ishes that's eluded me forever.

In the meantime, here's a scan of that GIC 54 you were so kind to pass to me. Thanks to you AND Shep for it. I'm grateful to you both.

gic54.jpg

aamow79.jpg

How many of you out there thinks the soldier on the cover of AAMOW 79

has a striking resemblance with Sgt Rock or is it just me?

(shrug)

Yeah, that AAMOW 79 sarge DOES look pretty familiar. He might as well be Sgt. Rock. I checked the dates and it came out the same month as OAAW 94 which takes it out of the running for first appearance or first cover appearance. In my mind, it'd qualify for an EARLY cover app., though.

When Grandenetti was good, he was very, very good! :headbang:

aamow62-1.jpg

Can't agree more. IMHO, it's as good as the best of the washtones. The guys slogging through the water from the right mid-ground to the left background and disappearing into the foliage is a subtle feature that can best be appreciated when the book's in hand. The color gradations in the water are also really nicely done.

BTW, thanks for the advice with the scanning, Adam.

Fay,

I'll definitely pass you first right of refusal on my under-copy of SSWS 81 just as soon as I get an under-copy. Of course, in order to have an "under-copy," I'd need to have 2 and that's gonna be tough since I don't even have a single copy of SSWS 81 to begin with. Much to my chagrin, that's one of the ishes that's eluded me forever.

I was only joking Mick. I never see that SSWS 81 on any of the dealer's

sites, auctions or e-bay. There must be a few nice copies out there some

where and I guess the few owners must realize how rare that book is.

Are there any graded copies on the census?

Fay,

One single copy in the census. . .and it's a 6.0.

:P

Fay,

I had a low grade copy that presented well. I wish I didn't sell it. :pullhair:

Fay,

I had a low grade copy that presented well. I wish I didn't sell it. :pullhair:

A check on E-bay shows one copy of SSWS 81 is for sale right now. The seller has it graded at 4.0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-SPANGLED-WAR-STORIES-81-WWII-CVR-DC-WAR-SILVER-AGE-/330704762824?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4cff8a37c8

FYI,

I just noticed that there are a number of outstanding war books in tonight's "Sunday night Heritage auctions". I am not a war collector, but noticed them (and at a good price so far), and some great covers, so thought I would let all the war collectors know!

Dwight