• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

We had a convention in Houston this past weekend and the big comic guest was Joe Kubert. What a nice man and and awesome guest. He signed and chatted with so many folks (the attendance was over 15,000) and he was incredibly gracious with everyone. Our own WildBillKelso (Matt Ballesteros) moderated a panel with Joe on his war comics period which was well attended and fascinating.

Here are a couple of shots of yours truly challenging Mr. Kubert to an arm wrestling contest while Matt B. looks on with exasperation.

kubertpanel1.jpg

kubertpanel2.jpg

We had a convention in Houston this past weekend and the big comic guest was Joe Kubert. What a nice man and and awesome guest. He signed and chatted with so many folks (the attendance was over 15,000) and he was incredibly gracious with everyone. Our own WildBillKelso (Matt Ballesteros) moderated a panel with Joe on his war comics period which was well attended and fascinating.

Here are a couple of shots of yours truly challenging Mr. Kubert to an arm wrestling contest while Matt B. looks on with exasperation.

kubertpanel1.jpg

kubertpanel2.jpg

I would have loved to attend that convention. Sounds like it was awesome!

kubertpanel1.jpg

kubertpanel2.jpg

That must have been awesome to talk with Joe Kubert and you guys from the

States are so lucky with some of the guests that attend your shows. (thumbs u

I know I keep saying this and I swear I'm going to make it to a big show in the

good ole' USA one of these years. :wishluck:

kubertpanel1.jpg

kubertpanel2.jpg

Woah! Awesome opportunity! Wish I coulda been there. Man, it's been about 15 years since Kubert came to the SD Comicon. Any really cool revelations you guys didn't already know about Mr. Kubert?

kubertpanel1.jpg

kubertpanel2.jpg

Woah! Awesome opportunity! Wish I coulda been there. Man, it's been about 15 years since Kubert came to the SD Comicon. Any really cool revelations you guys didn't already know about Mr. Kubert?

We got him to talk quite a bit about Bob Kanigher. It was surprising how much respect Kubert had for Kanigher in light of some of tales of how difficult and hard Kanigher could be. Mort Drucker was a victim of Kanigher's needling wrath and ultimately left DC because of it. Apparently Kubert would not take Kanigher's jibes and so he never was subjected to them. As a result they had a very good working relationship and Kubert gives Kanigher every bit of the credit for developing Sgt. Rock.

. . .and Kanigher didn't mind TAKING every bit of the credit for the development of Rock. He was definitely a complex individual. There was never a shortage of opinion either coming FROM him or ABOUT him.

The Kubert interview must have been fantastic. That guy's definitely a walking encyclopedia of the industry. He has been there from nearly its infancy (going back his chores as an office assistant at the Eisner Studio). Incredibly good person every step of the way. . .not to mention being responsible for art chores on so many KILLER Silver-Age stories.

BTW, I had a chance to get to some more scanning [finally] for some purchases over the last few years. I get a little glare at the top on a few and will need to work on getting that out of there, but these'll suffice for now.

gic53.jpg

gic59.jpg

gic89.jpg

Is he still playing handball? You'd probably lose. :baiting:

gic53.jpg

Love it!

Killer Grandenetti art! :headbang:

Is he still playing handball? You'd probably lose. :baiting:

fixed

During the discussion with Mr. Kubert I asked if Kanigher was so hard on his staff just out of spite or in a attempt to get the best out of the artists. I specifically mentioned Grandenetti. I've always felt his DC work was worlds better than anything else he had done (I may be wrong and would love some examples). Kubert seemed to agree but said he honestly did not know Kanigher's motives for being so mean.

kubertpanel1.jpg

kubertpanel2.jpg

I’m a little late to reply… But, I need to set facts straight.

Richard did indeed challenge Mr. Kubert to an arm wrestling contest in the first picture… Yet, as you can see in the second pic, Kubert is setting Richard straight as I am watching security rush in. I believe Kubert said, and I quote “Son, you best sit down. I wouldn’t want to hurt you.” Richard smartly scurried back to his seat.

Richard was a great addition to the panel. I thought his questions were intriguing to both Kubert and to the panel attendees. It was fascinating to probe a bit about the relationships between all the Big Five contributors and monolith creatives. Furthermore, his response about Kanigher only underlined the fact that Kanigher and Kubert didn’t need to understand everything about each other… I believe “respect” kept their dynamic relationship intact and their work resplendently inspired.

RichardEvans_01.jpg

During the discussion with Mr. Kubert I asked if Kanigher was so hard on his staff just out of spite or in a attempt to get the best out of the artists. I specifically mentioned Grandenetti. I've always felt his DC work was worlds better than anything else he had done (I may be wrong and would love some examples). Kubert seemed to agree but said he honestly did not know Kanigher's motives for being so mean.

I would love for Mick to weigh in regarding Grandinetti.

From what I can tell he evolved his style very rapidly from being an Eisner clone (he had been a background artist on Eisner's Spirit) to developing his very distinctive DC style that suited him well for about a decade. He then evolved to a much looser approach for his Warren comics and for his advertising art that I usually find less pleasing.

t's not that unusual for an artist to get tired of drawing one way and to then want to shift to a different approach. I love Alex Raymond's dry brush art for the Flash Gordon comic strip but just can't get that excited about his work on Rip Kirby even though it's the way he wanted to draw.

t's not that unusual for an artist to get tired of drawing one way and to then want to shift to a different approach. I love Alex Raymond's dry brush art for the Flash Gordon comic strip but just can't get that excited about his work on Rip Kirby even though it's the way he wanted to draw.

It is a change that's hard to accept but Raymond is excellent at remaining "consistent" (for a lack of better words) on the Kirby strip that one can eventually get into the strip with the new style. The main impediment I had was that his new style tends to be less detailed and once you were used to Flash, it's a big change.