• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Question for you war experts. Is OAAW #168 really the first appearance of the Unknown Soldier? I've always thought it was more of a prototype, considering it came out four years before his series began in SSWS. You know, it's an unknown soldier, not the Unknown Soldier. Having read the issue, I don't see anything in the story that leads me to believe otherwise.

However, I'm wondering if DC later retconned this into his first appearance in one of the Sgt. Rock / Unknown Solider crossovers later on, because everyone seems to be pretty convinced OOAW #168 is his first appearance. Is this the case? Did one of those crossovers have Uknown Soldier explicitly say that he first met rock in that OOAW story?

It just doesn't seem to me like the OOAW story was intended to be an ongoing character or anything. SSWS #151 feels and reads like his true first appearance to me.

Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

I have never considered it the true first appearance of the Unknown Soldier, however, Overstreet does, and that's pretty much the bible.

It does talk about an unknown soldier, but I sure don't believe that is the Unknown Soldier. It just isn't.

Now, there are folks that agree and folks that disagree. That's fine, but for me, as you and many others will attest, SSWS #151 feels and reads like his true first appearance, and therefore is his first appearance. (thumbs u

Andy

I agree with Joe Kubert and the Overstreet Guide- OAAW 168 is the 1st app. of the Unknown Soldier. After all, Kubert only created the Soldier. SSWS 151 is his 1st solo app.

I've argued the position before in the Bronze forum War Thread.

Respectfully,

John

SSWS #151 - that's the first Unknown Soldier appearance imho. OAAW #168 was certainly where it came from, but only as a prototype.

Those early US strories are just great. I particularly like the 20-cent issues, however, when Archie Goodwin was writing and editing and Jack Sparling did the art. I know no everyone loves them, but those are pretty nice.

Shep

I take it that at some point Joe Kubert addressed this question? if you could expand on this, I would appreciate it, as I am trying to get information on why OAAW #168 is listed as the first appearance. What Overstreet says doesn't really sway me much, but if Kubert had something to say about this I would like to hear it.

Ah, okay, thanks. I see why OAAW #168 is listed as the first appearance now, though it still seems like a retcon to me. But Kubert did it pretty early on and it's also very explicit.

For those who don't have SSWS #157, the issue reprints the story OAAW #168 only with a short new framing sequence with the Unknown Soldier reminiscing about the first time he met Sgt. Rock. I suspected a retcon like this may have been the case, but it couldn't get any clearer than actually reprinting the entire story.

Anyway, I was planning to pick up a OAAW #168 anyway since I am beginning to collect Sgt. Rock, so it's not a huge deal for me personally. It still feels and reads to me like this is a prototype later retconned into a first appearance, rather than a tryout or a true first appearance, but so be it.

I hope i am not breaking any rules here but i thought i would give all the war fans a 'heads up' at least. Ive listed the last of my war books at Comiclink and all have some sort of significance for one reason or another. The comics are :-

All-American Men of War #28 CGC5.5 1st Sgt.Rock Prototype

All-American Men of War #95 CGC9.2 Bethlehem 2nd Highest Graded

GI Combat 45 CGC5.5 I believe this book is listed as 'significant' in Chris Pedrin's Big Five

in the development of Sgt.Rock.

GI Combat #87 CGC3.5 1st app Haunted Tank

Our Army At War #151 CGC9.2 1st app Enemy Ace Highest Graded

For the record there are no 9.4 copies which someone asked for earlier. This is the best copy i have ever come across. I think the slight wear in the top left hand corner is what stops it from being a 9.4. Other than that its a fantastic copy and im sad to let it go.

Chris Pedrin's Big Five Guide considers SSWS 151 the first app of the Unknown Soldier, so that's good enough for me!

Was there only one Big Five guide that was created?

Yup. It comes up for sale every once and awhile. Usually goes for anywhere between $60 - $100.

However, since I only recently got a copy, I'm sure a reprint will be announced any day now.

Don't bet on it. Chris is pretty far outside the publishing realm right now. . .busy with normal job and being a good dad.

Wow...I guess I feel both happy and sad about this.

Happy because I have a copy. Sad because I think a reprint would be great for the hobby and it's not going to happen.

I suppose alot of the info in the guide is available online these days anyway.

I've always wondered why Pedrin acknowledges GIC 45 as significant in the Sgt Rock development realm but Overstreet never has. I mean, OS lists all the other Rock related issues pre-OAAW 83, why not GIC 45?

I've always wondered why Pedrin acknowledges GIC 45 as significant in the Sgt Rock development realm but Overstreet never has. I mean, OS lists all the other Rock related issues pre-OAAW 83, why not GIC 45?

Ive always wondered this as well. Ive misplaced my copy but is GIC #45 listed as significant, highly significant or fairly significant in Pedrin's book?

Chris is one of the oddest, funniest, most unique and interesting guys I have ever met in this hobby.

I miss having him around.

Ive always wondered this as well. Ive misplaced my copy but is GIC #45 listed as significant, highly significant or fairly significant in Pedrin's book?

He lists it as Highly Significant.

According to Pedrin, in the story "Fireworks Hill," one of the characters stands there "...like a rock." In the face of enemy fire, I'm guessing?

I haven't read the issue.

I think we need the War Report guys to chime in here. (They don't mention the issue in the latest OSPG.)

Edited by MisterX