• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

OK, had a chance to breathe here a bit between report cards and organizing my classroom. In my 6 years on these boards, I've never seen us slip to page 3 (and near page 4), so this must be a REALLY busy time for folks. Well, Big-5 collectors need to take 5; so get some turkey in you and start posting, folks.

Here're a few more scans of some slabbed books that I've scored in the last few years:

oaaw74.jpg

oaaw84.jpg

oaaw101.jpg

....that 101 :cloud9: PURPLE :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Great books!

Is this a Grandenetti cover?

oaaw74.jpg

Just a fabulous cover. So much tension in that image.

Great books!

oaaw74.jpg

.....I'm pretty new at these War books....but it wouldn't surprise me if Drucker had something to do with that cover....GOD BLESS....

Great books!

oaaw74.jpg

.....I'm pretty new at these War books....but it wouldn't surprise me if Drucker had something to do with that cover....GOD BLESS....

Jim, you have a VERY good eye. I actually see some Drucker there, too. It's in the face of the dude on the left and there's a decidedly chiaroscuro effect that Drucker employed over and over again on his spectacular pre-MAD war interior work. But the guy on the right is definitely a Grandenetti. I have never heard of a collab or partial Grandenetti cover.

Maybe there are some Drucker teen humor covers. Is that possible? If this DOES have Drucker (which you and I both believe there's a case for), then it'd be the ONLY Drucker war cover that I am aware of. Wonder if there's a way to check. Drucker himself is the only one who could say definitively at this point, but he is fairly unresponsive to fan mail, calls, and the like. I don't have the Pedrin Big-5 guide right in front of me, but I don't recall any mention of Drucker covers.

Great books!

oaaw74.jpg

Jim, you have a VERY good eye. I actually see some Drucker there, too. It's in the face of the dude on the left and there's a decidedly chiaroscuro effect that Drucker employed over and over again on his spectacular pre-MAD war interior work. But the guy on the right is definitely a Grandenetti. I have never heard of a collab or partial Grandenetti cover.

Maybe there are some Drucker teen humor covers. Is that possible? If this DOES have Drucker (which you and I both believe there's a case for), then it'd be the ONLY Drucker war cover that I am aware of. Wonder if there's a way to check. Drucker himself is the only one who could say definitively at this point, but he is fairly unresponsive to fan mail, calls, and the like. I don't have the Pedrin Big-5 guide right in front of me, but I don't recall any mention of Drucker covers.

Could have been an impromptu ink job over a rough. Maybe Grandenetti came down with the flu or something. Drucker is an illustrators illustrator......so polished and intricate.......a foreshadowing of the Giordano/ Adams inking style to fully emerge a decade later. GOD BLESS...

Great books!

Could have been an impromptu ink job over a rough. Maybe Grandenetti came down with the flu or something. Drucker is an illustrators illustrator......so polished and intricate.......a foreshadowing of the Giordano/ Adams inking style to fully emerge a decade later. GOD BLESS...

Grandenetti was a sponge and often incorporated aspects of Kubert's and Heath's styles into his covers. This one may just be a situation where he was influenced by Drucker.

Let's Marvel this thread up a bit with some rarely seen Kirby Kovers:

Battle_66116.jpg

Battle_68117.jpg

Battle_69118.jpg

Such stunners. Those Kirby issues toward the end were just full of beautiful stuff by The King and even the likes of Ditko and Torres among others. They were like pre-hero monster books but in a different genre. Way cool, ETR!

off36.jpg

A seriously tough book to find in nice shape (thumbs u

Well, if combing bins, scanning CBG and CBM ads, monitoring the message boards, eBay, Heritage, Comiclink, and every other place for 20 years and turning up zip, zero, zilch, goose eggs for that issue in anything above a Fine (until now) is any indication. . .then yeah, it's seriously tough. I remember when Overstreet (or maybe Gerber? Or both?) was discussing what the terms "rare" and "scarce" really mean. I'm positive that OFF 36 isn't rare or even scarce in lower grades, but there's not really an adequate discussion of "rarity" or even "scarcity" with high grade books. On the CGC census alone, there are dozens or--in some cases--hundreds of copies of silver age Marvel books in high grade. Relatively speaking, most 10¢ war books or DC 10¢ers from any genre are tough in grade. . .just how tough? This issue and . . .

now that would be telling, wouldn't it?

Relatively speaking, most 10¢ war books or DC 10¢ers from any genre are tough in grade. . .just how tough? This issue and . . .

now that would be telling, wouldn't it?

Is this an excuse for me to post my OFF 48 again? :grin: