• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Great books, Fay!

Here's my NYCC pickups.

Beat but complete, hanging onto the staples by the skin of its teeth...

OAAW82.jpg

Anybody else have a copy of OAAW 82 with that strange printing error on the SMG?

Nice!

Just curious ... is this the diamond run copy?

While going through my damaged books I found a remaindered

copy of STAR SPANGLED WAR STORIES #3 November '52...

would that be considered GA? If so, what number would begin

the SA run?

mm

Thanks, ngh81!

I don't think this is the Diamond run copy. It wasn't sold to me as such.

What makes you think it might be?

I went to the Baltimore show last month and paged through the diamond run copy. Your description of the condition of the copy you bought seemed very similar to what i remember looking at in baltimore. But that could just be a coincidence.

Unfortunately though i do not remember the dealer who had it for sale when i paged though it in baltimore.

what is the market like for high grade OAAW's? These were in a collection I picked up of DC's but I dont collect the war comics. I was thinking sell the 162 to pay for the rest?

Seems like not many out there, not sure how to price them or if to just put them in a comiclink auction.

They are these, coming back from cgc.

OAAW 157 9.2

162 9.6

163 9.4

176 9.4

all ow/w

what is the market like for high grade OAAW's? These were in a collection I picked up of DC's but I dont collect the war comics. I was thinking sell the 162 to pay for the rest?

Seems like not many out there, not sure how to price them or if to just put them in a comiclink auction.

OAAW 157 9.2

162 9.6

163 9.4

176 9.4

all ow/w

The 157 9.2 would probably sell in auction for $75-$125.

The 162 9.6 $400-500

The 163 9.4 $150-225

The 176 9.4 $25-75

If these were in a dealer's stock, I imagine they would ask for more.

Andy 2c

OAAW 157 9.2

162 9.6

163 9.4

176 9.4

all ow/w

The 157 9.2 would probably sell in auction for $75-$125.

The 162 9.6 $400-500

The 163 9.4 $150-225

The 176 9.4 $25-75

If these were in a dealer's stock, I imagine they would ask for more.

Andy 2c

thanks for the insight... I'm used to selling Marvels, funny how DC's in high grade aren't really worth much like Marvels are. These are really nice looking, I will just keep them in the stack, I have nothing in them!

Actually, the only time I've seen DCs go for good prices is in those auctions of big collections, where you get a few big collectors going head to head. I would imagine the 9.6 might get a few collectors to go head to head in a comiclink auction, but most likely it would sell for some price like $200 if only, as I fear would happen, 1 person was bidding on it.

That's the risk with a no reserve auction. You could put prices on them and try them here on the boards. Just have scans, prices and list them in the right area of the boards. 2c

nah its pretty hard to sell on the boards for the top prices. I've had the best luck selling highest graded books on Comiclink where you get the top collectors duking it out. I see on gpa there were some sales of other numbers around this book for numbers like $1500 etc...

I guess my question is do people think there are good bidding wars on comiclink for something like OAAW 162 in 9.6?

Thanks, They are cool books though, I will post pictures of them when I get them in the mail... The 9.4's have a big date stamp on them, I think that is why they didnt get the 9.6 grade. They were just as nice or even nicer than the 162 that got the 9.6

Date stamps. Me like. :cloud9:

Oh, and this week's new comics has a "Joe Kubert Presents" book. I bought it but didn't read it yet. There was a USS Stevens story in there along with 2 others.

Will update later with the details and a pic. (thumbs u

Andy

Hello all,

I am brand new to the forum and was hoping to get some information from experienced collectors. I have a collection of comics that were recently found in a relative's attic. It is 231 comics; about 70% war titles with some superhero and sci-fi titles mixed in. I can send easily send a whole but some highlights are:

GI Combat 44, 67, and 68

Our Army at War 83

Our Fighting Forces 45

An important note is that there aren't any really long runs but sporadic coverage of many different titles. I am in no way a comic grader but from what I can get from the Overstreet guide it seems that most of these are somewhere in the 5.5-8.5 range. I am working on scanning in as many covers as possible.

I was hoping to sell it as a whole collection and thought that since it was mostly war titles, that this would be a good place to start. Any tips on dealers that specialize in war books or any interest from collectors would be appreciated. Message or email is easy: jsmith@katz.pitt.edu.

Thanks in advance for any help or interest,

Jared

OK, had a chance to breathe here a bit between report cards and organizing my classroom. In my 6 years on these boards, I've never seen us slip to page 3 (and near page 4), so this must be a REALLY busy time for folks. Well, Big-5 collectors need to take 5; so get some turkey in you and start posting, folks.

Here're a few more scans of some slabbed books that I've scored in the last few years:

oaaw74.jpg

oaaw84.jpg

oaaw101.jpg