• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Nice books, Kag! I wouldn't mind having dupes on that book either! It's not plentiful in nice shape. In fact, when I was really searching it out, I recall looking through runs and runs of B&B, some in uniformly nice condition (and I'd be the first collector to set eyes on the group at least twice) going from the mid-30 numbers up to the Adams period. Everything was there. . .EXCEPT B&B 52. I remember that happening about 3 separate times with the conspicuous absence of the 52. It was almost like the people that put the collections together were stoked about some dude with adventures in a cave, people who wear hawk-headgear, weirdass sports stories, martians, and superheroes, but suddenly an oddball war book comes along and tarnishes the set, so skip it entirely.

Why, when I was a wee lad of collecting (hee hee) I was trying to score it when it was one of the cheapest in the run, mind you. It certainly wasn't notable as anything extraordinary, so it's not like loads of collectors would have scarfed it up ahead of me. I think the thing is genuinely tough to get compared to other mid-60s books.

Some recent LCS purchases.

OurFightingForces95.jpg[/img]

OurFightingForces93.jpg[/img]

OurArmyatWar246.jpg[/img]

OurArmyatWar243.jpg[/img]

GI-3.jpg[/img]

GI-2.jpg[/img]

GI-1.jpg[/img]

Blackhawk164.jpg[/img]

I wish my LCS would get some war books. :( Either that or Shep come down to trade some :wishluck:

One biatchin' Novick cover:

aamow87.jpg

WOW! What great perspective. DC sure had a thing for man vs. plane images.

based on where that plane is diving at him from, I think he oughtta get behind the plane for protection rather than out in the open like that? That compositions gonna get him killed!

GI-3.jpg[/img]

GI-2.jpg[/img]

GI-1.jpg[/img]

[/img][/img]

Where the heck is this LCS and I can't believe the sweet copies you've

found recently. It's mind boggling to hear you found a GIC 86, 108 and 110 at

the same LCS. :o

Nice Pick-ups you lucky bugger!! (thumbs u :applause: :applause: :applause:

Edited by Fazybones

GI-3.jpg[/img]

GI-2.jpg[/img]

GI-1.jpg[/img]

[/img][/img]

Where the heck is this LCS and I can't believe the sweet copies you've

found recently. It'mind boggling to hear you found a GIC 86, 108 and 110 at

the same LCS. :o

Nice Pick-ups you lucky bugger!! (thumbs u :applause: :applause: :applause:

Thanks everyone for the kudos, the guy who owns the store said these were part of a collection where the owner stored these books in an attic. So some of the books are not in the best shape, but the price is always right. He also charging me last years guide for the books, and he under grades the books. Last but not least, he still has some more books for sale.

One biatchin' Novick cover:

aamow87.jpg

WOW! What great perspective. DC sure had a thing for man vs. plane images.

based on where that plane is diving at him from, I think he oughtta get behind the plane for protection rather than out in the open like that? That compositions gonna get him killed!

I'm correcting myself. Actually, it ain't a Novick, but a Grandenetti. The drapery on Cloud's clothing is a giveaway as well as the pose.

In light of the needling I handed to Adam Strange on misidentifying Heath earlier in the week, I will now wear my hair coat, chant 16 hail-Mary's, NOT eat Fillipi's pizza for 2 weeks, and force myself to listen to (shudder) Kenny G. for 20 minutes (don't get any ideas about freebie B&Bs!).

Edited by Comick1

listen to Kenny G. for 20 minutes

That's harsh. :(

It's that or Michael Bolton. . .or Garth Brooks. They all have the Superman/Clark Kent complex (never see 'em in the same room at the same time). Their equally nauseating music has convinced that they are all 3 one and the same person. Never thought Zamphir would sound like one soulful dude after listening to anything, but those 3 make him sound like Gershwin.

It's that or Michael Bolton. . .or Garth Brooks.

I would think that 20 min of each would just about do a man in. hm

As far as I know this is my first post in War Comics. Just wanted to share a scan of my latest book, including a bit of background.

I never got into collecting war books. I was always more of a namby-pamby Legion type. However, around Easter 1966 I was at the Happy Days store with a pal of mine to buy a couple of comic books. These were to read and swap, of course. I picked up a Superboy #129 Giant and was looking at Superman #186, with the dark purple/green ghost cover. However, my pal had taken a direct route to All-American Men of War #115. His enthusiasm was such that I dumped the Superman (I had to have the Superboy Giant) and picked up a copy of Our Army At War #167, which had a very nice blue shade of cover.

That was my only experience of buying a war book, though I borrowed quite a few thereafter.

Now, in my ongoing bid to reacquire my childhood collection, I have obtained this superb copy, thanks to Stephen Ritter. It has taken some finding:

OAW_167_94.jpg

As far as I know this is my first post in War Comics. Just wanted to share a scan of my latest book, including a bit of background.

I never got into collecting war books. I was always more of a namby-pamby Legion type. However, around Easter 1966 I was at the Happy Days store with a pal of mine to buy a couple of comic books. These were to read and swap, of course. I picked up a Superboy #129 Giant and was looking at Superman #186, with the dark purple/green ghost cover. However, my pal had taken a direct route to All-American Men of War #115. His enthusiasm was such that I dumped the Superman (I had to have the Superboy Giant) and picked up a copy of Our Army At War #167, which had a very nice blue shade of cover.

That was my only experience of buying a war book, though I borrowed quite a few thereafter.

Now, in my ongoing bid to reacquire my childhood collection, I have obtained this superb copy, thanks to Stephen Ritter. It has taken some finding:

OAW_167_94.jpg

What cool story, congrats on getting your childhood book. The collection from Stephen Ritter is excellent, i saw the books at the NYCC. It's almost like getting your book off the shelf all over again.

OAW_167_94.jpg

Really, what a nice story! Thanks for sharing and nice book, btw. (thumbs u

Andy

OAW_167_94.jpg

Great book!

Even better story (nice knowing that the competition ends with the OAAW 167).

Great book!

Stunning grade!

Tough as all get-out!

Great book!

Great story Steelcity.... if you're going to have one nice Big Five book to have in your collection, you could do a lot worse than that one!

You're right... there's something about the blue cover and the checkerboard up top that just makes you melt a little. And as far as covers that tell a story, Kubert gets this one just right.

Nice!

Shep