• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Posted 'em in the "Beyond Sept." thread, so they definitely go here as well.

I always thought this cover was a contender for "best war comics cover" or at least amongst the top 10. Rock's face, the economy of line, Rock's face, diagonals that draw your eye to Rock's face, Rock's face, the deep, dark inks, and Rock's face are truly incomparable. Always been on my top-5 list right up there with the best of the washtones.

oaaw100.jpg

Posted 'em in the "Beyond Sept." thread, so they definitely go here as well.

I always thought this cover was a contender for "best war comics cover" or at least amongst the top 10. Rock's face, the economy of line, Rock's face, diagonals that draw your eye to Rock's face, Rock's face, the deep, dark inks, and Rock's face are truly incomparable. Always been on my top-5 list right up there with the best of the washtones.

oaaw100.jpg

:o :o (worship):cloud9:

WOW!

Thanks guys.

I remember the first time I ever saw the cover. It was at Gary Carter's house in Coronado. He had it in with a nearly complete collection of DC war that supposedly belonged to his brother. Not a high grade collection, but as I recall, he was on the phone when I pulled THAT one and I pulled it out of the box and showed it to him with eyebrows raised motioning to it and he raised his eyebrows, too (while carrying on with his phone conversation). I just couldn't believe that cover. That's literally and figuratively an impact cover that ranks with the best of 'em. Everything hinges on Rock's face. Juxtapose that against the colors and apparent chaos in the background against the back cover. I just couldn't believe how expressive it was.

It was so much better than the more complicated compositions Kubert tried to pull off with most of the later covers.

Edited by Comick1

Two slabs that arrived yesterday and the OAAW 180 I once owned

and sold on these boards. I love flippers and it's back home where

it belongs.

Both books have a few back cover flaws and my total bill including

shipping was just under 40.00 $ and I can hardly wait to set them

free and do some cracking. :insane:

Sorry Jeff, still no scanner... :sorry: 2009 I'm buying one for sure. (thumbs u

Picture835.jpg[/img]

Picture830.jpg[/img]

:cloud9::luhv:

Edited by Fazybones

Love every one of those 3 vertical columns covers (Nice one, Faye!) where the characters break the panel of the center column. The red, white, and blue one is a stunner, too. Some of those are tougher to get in grade than prior or subsequent issues.

Thanks Andy!

I've always loved the cover of OFF #13.... I know it's Grandenetti, but to me it has a nice whiff of Carmine Infantino... I wonder if he was influencing JG at the time with his more linear, almost Krigstein-like linework...

Hmmmmmm.....

Thinkin',

Shep

Those are some astonishing colors on that #4. Man, they just pop off the page!

Grandenetti's style had some definite commonalities with Infantino's at this point. Something about the machinery on the #4 in the far background is HEAVILY reminiscent of Infantino's landscapes.