• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

So, continuing the conversation, what other war books are, or have the potential to be, in the $3K club? Obviously G.I. Combat 87 is there. Would a high, high grade copy of Combat 1 or one of the other Atlas first issues get close? Two-Fisted Tales Annual would be around there.

We'll see :grin: , I consigned my copy of Combat 1 River City pedigree CGC 9.2 to Sparkle City comics. Will be coming up for auction soon.

I'll be watching that one. Please keep me posted.

Combat 1 CGC 9.2 River City

Also the Curator copy of Blackhawk 242

So, continuing the conversation, what other war books are, or have the potential to be, in the $3K club? Obviously G.I. Combat 87 is there. Would a high, high grade copy of Combat 1 or one of the other Atlas first issues get close? Two-Fisted Tales Annual would be around there.

We'll see :grin: , I consigned my copy of Combat 1 River City pedigree CGC 9.2 to Sparkle City comics. Will be coming up for auction soon.

I'll be watching that one. Please keep me posted.

Combat 1 CGC 9.2 River City

Also the Curator copy of Blackhawk 242

Thanks (thumbs u I'm all over it.

Fay,

I'll definitely pass you first right of refusal on my under-copy of SSWS 81 just as soon as I get an under-copy. Of course, in order to have an "under-copy," I'd need to have 2 and that's gonna be tough since I don't even have a single copy of SSWS 81 to begin with. Much to my chagrin, that's one of the ishes that's eluded me forever.

I was only joking Mick. I never see that SSWS 81 on any of the dealer's

sites, auctions or e-bay. There must be a few nice copies out there some

where and I guess the few owners must realize how rare that book is.

Are there any graded copies on the census?

One single copy in the census. . .and it's a 6.0.

:P

One of the silver age books I decided to keep for posterity!

ssws81.jpg

Fay,

I'll definitely pass you first right of refusal on my under-copy of SSWS 81 just as soon as I get an under-copy. Of course, in order to have an "under-copy," I'd need to have 2 and that's gonna be tough since I don't even have a single copy of SSWS 81 to begin with. Much to my chagrin, that's one of the ishes that's eluded me forever.

I was only joking Mick. I never see that SSWS 81 on any of the dealer's

sites, auctions or e-bay. There must be a few nice copies out there some

where and I guess the few owners must realize how rare that book is.

Are there any graded copies on the census?

One single copy in the census. . .and it's a 6.0.

:P

One of the silver age books I decided to keep for posterity!

ssws81.jpg

:o:o:o:o

You are very welcome Bill and I prefer to find a good home for the few

undercopies I've had instead of all the work involved selling them.? I think

the SA War section is one of the nicest group of people that frequent

these boards. (thumbs u

It was a great trade and the half hour I spent so far watching the disc was

awesome. :cloud9: I'll get back to you when I've watched more of it. (thumbs u

aamow79.jpg

How many of you out there thinks the soldier on the cover of AAMOW 79

has a striking resemblance with Sgt Rock or is it just me?

(shrug)

Yeah, that AAMOW 79 sarge DOES look pretty familiar. He might as well be Sgt. Rock. I checked the dates and it came out the same month as OAAW 94 which takes it out of the running for first appearance or first cover appearance. In my mind, it'd qualify for an EARLY cover app., though.

I agree with you both Fay. I have always thought the Sarge on the cover looked like Rock. I pretty much ran the same filters that Mick did. But, since you brought it back to light, I went back and double-checked.

I can confirm what Mick said; Kubert drew the cover approximately one year after OAAW #83 and months after his the first Rock cover. I even revisited Pedrin’s notes on it to verify. But, the most fun I had was opening up and reading my own copy of AAMOW #79. Nothing like holding 'em in your hands and re-reading them – huh?! Anyway, I didn't see anything in the interior that would tie to Rock… But, it seems pretty obvious what Kubert had on his mind when he drew this cover.

I am with Mick; I think this is an early Sgt. Rock cover via liberal artistic / continuity license by Kubert.

I posted this in general already but thought I'd share it with you guys here also. I got this from the same warehouse I found the others at, at the same price of 2 bucks. Couldn't be happier handing over those two crisp one dollar bills for this book.

IMG_20120415_195056.jpg

And i agree with Fazybones, I'd say that was Sgt. Rock if I didn't know any better.

I posted this in general already but thought I'd share it with you guys here also. I got this from the same warehouse I found the others at, at the same price of 2 bucks. Couldn't be happier handing over those two crisp one dollar bills for this book.

IMG_20120415_195056.jpg

And i agree with Fazybones, I'd say that was Sgt. Rock if I didn't know any better.

Two Bucks!! :o Wouldn't it be nice to find a stash of DC War books all for two bucks. :luhv:

Great Pick-up!! (thumbs u

I never even thought to read my copy of AAMOW 79 Wild Bill. doh!

I've got a good excuse now.

Picture1411-1.jpg

Edited by Fazybones

Combat #1 in 9.2 appears to be a $1263 book. It also will soon be residing in Texas. :whee:

Combat #1 in 9.2 appears to be a $1263 book. It also will soon be residing in Texas. :whee:

:applause:

:applause:

Awesome, I'm glad Mr. Bedrock got it (thumbs u will look nice beside the G.I. Combat :grin:

IMG_20120415_195056.jpg

Two Bucks!! :o Wouldn't it be nice to find a stash of DC War books all for two bucks. :luhv:

Great Pick-up!! (thumbs u

I never even thought to read my copy of AAMOW 79 Wild Bill. doh!

I've got a good excuse now.

Picture1411-1.jpg

Ha! Read Sgt. Rock's Combat Corner - they are all going nutz for Mlle. Marie!