• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

To my fellow War collectors: Heritage will be posting hundreds of my DC war CGC graded comics over the next couple of months in the weekly auctions. Also, by now you have probably seen the DC war books in the signature auction that may be of interest to you. Good luck and I hope you are able to pick up the issues that you need.

Sincerely,

Keith Marlow

Thanks Keith, I've got a few of your old books in my collection already. Most I'm very happy with so far. Cheers for selling your collection and I hope you put the funds to better use.

Andy

hey--- any of you also watching the PBS WAR series?? I gotta tell ya, Ive been reading war comics for years but only now watching the true films and stories of how horrific and deadly some of these guys had it slogging across Europe and the Pacific, these stories are a lot more than "stories" to me. Thyere still pop fiction and little pictures, sure, and made up stories fr the most part, BUT, created by guys who either went through that mess or had close friends who did. Either way, its sentertainment to us, but it was these guys youths!

Is this the Ken Burns documentary? If so, it is really interesting. Absolutely horrific what happened at the beginning of the war in the Pacific. Also, the details of one battle as told by the belly gunner on a bomber was pretty flabbergasting.

thats the one, and nearly all the stories have been horrible experiences. There was a forest on the German border that "had" to be taken. We lost thousands of troops inching their way towards entrenched German positions. The way it was described was a total cluster. There was no real military objective in the battle. The generals had no real plan and just sent wave after wave in there like, he said, sraw meat in to a meat grinder....

I grew up hearing how badly planned and fought the Vietnam War was. Today we see in Iraq further demonstration of bad leadership and planning in war. But we were all solidly under the impression that WWII was a different story: a tale of grandeur, heroism and organization.

hooboy was that wrong! Seems we won by good old brute force: destroying everything and everyone in our way to Berlin and massivle scrimping and producing arms and machines of war to ship over there as fast as possible,.. Workers stateside literally worked around the clock, in three shifts making planes, ships, weapons and ammo.

I wonder what it would take for that kind of sacrifice to happen today?

thats the one, and nearly all the stories have been horrible experiences. There was a forest on the German border that "had" to be taken. We lost thousands of troops inching their way towards entrenched German positions. The way it was described was a total cluster. There was no real military objective in the battle. The generals had no real plan and just sent wave after wave in there like, he said, sraw meat in to a meat grinder....

I grew up hearing how badly planned and fought the Vietnam War was. Today we see in Iraq further demonstration of bad leadership and planning in war. But we were all solidly under the impression that WWII was a different story: a tale of grandeur, heroism and organization.

hooboy was that wrong! Seems we won by good old brute force: destroying everything and everyone in our way to Berlin and massivle scrimping and producing arms and machines of war to ship over there as fast as possible,.. Workers stateside literally worked around the clock, in three shifts making planes, ships, weapons and ammo.

That's an incredible series of documentries and I really like the stories

of back home during that brutal war. I may be a little off on my numbers,

but I thought I heard that 3 million cars were built in 1941 and then

another 139 for the next four years.

Your last question is a really good one and I often wonder about todays'

society and would the generation "me" put up with it? I doubt it and

I hope I'm wrong.

Next time you try to give a little military history, make sure you know what you're talking about.

Everything is very simple in war, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen war.

Lastly, the great uncertainty of all data in War is a peculiar difficulty, because all action must, to a certain extent, be planned in a mere twilight, which in addition not infrequently - like the effect of a fog or moonshine - gives to things exaggeration.

von Clauswitz

Edited by adamstrange

Next time you try to give a little military history, make sure you know what you're talking about.

hey, you got a problem with how I described it--- call Ken Burns. He wrote the show,. I just commented on it.

It's not often I have something to post in the SA forum but I picked this one up today. How much is it worth, ballpark? Call it what G++?

Good + looks about right, although I wouldn't dare put that second + sign in there. Overstreet says $38.75, but I wouldn't be able to sell that for $18. I personally love older low-mid grade books, but I feel like I'm the only one. When I have a sale and I offer this kind of book at just below 50%, it just sits, time and time again. *Unless it's G.I. Combat or Our Army At War, then there's a better chance to sell it*

Nice Irv Novick cover with 6 pages of Russ Heath artwork inside. Good find! (thumbs u

Andy