• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Also keep in mind that Modern art has been about proving that "art" no longer need be realistic, or "wellpainted"

Safe to say it's been it's been spectacularly successful in this regard.

Amen. Count me as one of the modern art haters.

I'm not exactly the guy that's going to be convinced that I should regard even the best of say Heath and Kubert as worthy of Da Vinci so convincing me that L. re-working the least of the work by them and others as worthy of Da Vinci is hardly the plane I want to board. I'm personally more impressed with the best of the DC War art than anything I've seen by L, but your mileage may vary.

Compared to the "art" that brings tens of millions these days (Rothko, Pollock), his work DOES look like DaVinci. doh!

Or Damien Hirst. Don't get me started. :pullhair:

"Art is what you can get away with."

-- Andy Warhol

While Lichtenstein is indirectly on-topic from a couple of angles (Novick actually knew R.L. during WW2 because they served in the same battalion well before R.L. became ultra-famous), does anybody fault me for just wanting to see some cool comics? Here's my contribution. Along with this is an overdue bump to the Salida thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=686295&page=0&fpart=2

oaaw60.jpg

oaaw70.jpg

oaaw79.jpg

The OAAW 79 is one of my favorite issues of all time. The ultra-classic "What's the Price of a B-17" is Kanigher at his best, and Kubert whose gritty style actually took on an almost Heathian quality (if you can imagine a photorealistic Kubert--crosshatching in a way he'd never attempted yet and would never do it again). It is exquisite. It was amongst the first war books I ever scored. Nearly 20 years ago at a mid-year January show in San Diego. Terry Stroud had it along with about 5 or 6 other jaw-dropping 10¢ DC war books and they were all less than 20 bucks each. It took me a few years to understand how special that issue truly is.

Mick,

Dang, those are nice books.

I've been a bronze age jag of late, but those just make we want to go out and get a second mortgage and buy a ton of silver.

NICE!

In other news, I like all kinds of art from Norman Rockwell to Mark Rothko. Representational art is often more accessible for sure. Abstract and modern art is definitely more challenging to the viewer, because unlike most representational or illustrative art, it's meant to provoke feelings in the viewer, feelings that the viewers themselves may not even know how to process. When I stand in front of a Rothko, with those big planes of color, I don't know exactly why it makes me feel sort of freaked out.... all I know is that I do.

As for Lichtenstein, I think he was brilliant. He wasn't ripping anything off... he was appropriating popular cultural imagery to make a point. And the point was that depending on context, anything can be art.

One thing I find particularly interesting was the choice of panels that he made... mostly war and romance. Those are polar opposites of each other, and they lie on the very outside edges of human experience. War and love provoke our strongest reactions. And in the early 1960s, I think the choice of these powerful images from comic books was prescient... they foreshadowed the very real-word experiences America would go through in the 1960s... Viet Nam and the sexual revolution, two defining events of that decade.

I love these boards.... where else can we cover modern art, history, criticism, and -kicking DC war comics in the same place?

Shep

And the point was that depending on context, anything can be art.

Very true. I can mess on the sidewalk, bronze it and call it art.

You sure could, Jeff...you sure could. (thumbs u

Andy

Andy

No. :sumo:

You would need to can it. Which is evidently what one artist did back in the 40s. It made it into multiple museum but has had the unfortunate but not entirely unexpected tendency to explode. :sick:

Andy

You would need to can it. Which is evidently what one artist did back in the 40s. It made it into multiple museum but has had the unfortunate but not entirely unexpected tendency to explode. :sick:

Sounds a lot like the last presentation I made at work...

Andy

You would need to can it.

hm

Just picked these up today, but I'm too lazy to scan them.

All American Men of War 104 http://www.n8kcomics.com/aa104.jpg

AAMOW 105 http://www.n8kcomics.com/aa105.jpg

AAMOW 107 http://www.n8kcomics.com/aa107.jpg

I'll send these to CGC with my next batch and :wishluck: hopefully will get 9.0's out of them.

Andy