• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARKETPLACE AWARDS

39 posts in this topic

This is asking a bit much unless you (the buyer) are offering to pay for the extra or it's an expensive item. I don't have a huge stockpile of mylar and given the cost, I save it for high end books. A fairly fresh poly and a fairly new board should suffice for the $3-$15 items that are typical here. (If I know I bagged/boarded something 6 months ago, I'm probably not going to do it again.) And I don't use a box unless it's a few comics. Ought sandwhiching the darn thing between 4 or so pieces of sturdy cardboard be sufficient? I've never been told anything got damaged that way.

Well, like I said, that's just how I do it. I buy more frequently than I sell. I just prefer getting my comics shipped in a box, so that's how I ship. I think what you are doing is probably fine.

My statement was more geared toward sellers who have shipped me books in manilla envelopes (all Ebay sellers). I had one seller ship a whole stack of Werewolf by Night books all together in a clear plastic bag (small trash bag) and an extra large manilla envelope. foreheadslap.gif Those are the folks I'm talking about.

i hear you about the envelopes with no protection. ticks me off. particularly when i look at the blisters on my hands from cutting all those pieces of cardboard with my dull scissors.

If the comics are bomb proof inside a envelope I have no problem with this. I worry about the rain getting to them (boxed or not), I have shipped comics out in a envelope, and the person who recived them was very happy about the packaging.

We used to hand out awards to those that contributed in a positive way to these forums. This year, I think we need to hand out awards to those that make this place near unbearable. The extreme low-ballers.

Those that bury other people's marketplace threads with a bunch of dribble.

Yes, I have been accountable for this on many occasions. (No lie..)

Those that have no idea how to pack comics properly.

No one is complaining about my packaging. yay.gif

Those that haven't the slightest idea how to grade.

Yes it's true, I coulden't grade even if my life depended on it.

Etc...

i hear you about the envelopes with no protection. ticks me off. particularly when i look at the blisters on my hands from cutting all those pieces of cardboard with my dull scissors.

I use a large serrated knife to cut the cardboard up. Just be careful!

for a little while i was using one of those chef tony never needs sharpening admantium knives from TV, but the idea of using a food knife for cardboard grossed me out so i stopped, plus i think i was dulling the blade. not to mention, the cardboard i'm cutting nowadays (box tops from copier paper) won't work as well with a knife, unlike, let's say, cutting up a refrigerator box, which can be harvested for a lot of comic packing cardboard!

I use pliers and sheers, cuts the box up great, and with luck won't effect the comics (to much). Oh, but never open then with a Sludge Hammer, thats the worst anyone can do, and try not to set the box on fire, "thinking you can melt" them out is a stupid idea.

Perhaps there should be a permanent thread about buying and selling practices on these boards within the Comics Market - WTB and Forum Only Selling.

I saw Johnny G was selling some books and made what I thought was a reasonable request about receiving payment for books in a timely manner. In my mind there are just a few common practices that should be followed in every transaction.

For buyers, I think they should pay in a timely manner - 3 days seems reasonable. I pay immediately following the close of the deal, but that's me. I don't go to the grocery store and ask if I can pay them in a couple weeks or months. If I don't have the money at the checkout, no soup for me.

For sellers, I think they should not sell more books than they can handle in a timely manner. If you are selling so many books that it takes you weeks or months to ship them out to buyers, you may need to cut back on your selling a bit. I also think that how a package is shipped is important. When I sell something, I ship it in a mylar sleeve with a back between two pieces of heavy cardboard, wrap it in bubble wrap, and put it in a box. No envelopes! Even if it is just one book, it gets a box. Again, that's just me. As corny as it is, I do try to follow the Golden Rule.

And of course, grading is important. But to me that should be a given on these boards. This board shouldn't be like dealing with Ebayers. This board should be much better than that for both parties involved.

Of course, there are always exceptions. But they should be just that - exceptions, not the rule.

Those are my thoughts. You guys can return to the flaming. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

If the comics are bomb proof inside a envelope I have no problem with this. I worry about the rain getting to them (boxed or not), I have shipped comics out in a envelope, and the person who recived them was very happy about the packaging.

We used to hand out awards to those that contributed in a positive way to these forums. This year, I think we need to hand out awards to those that make this place near unbearable. The extreme low-ballers.

Etc...

I prefer to just stick the postage stamp and address label right on the book or slab and ship it out. Seems to work nicely for me and saves on shipping costs and packing material.

BTW. Anyone interested in some HG books I have for sale? I ship fast insane.gifgrin.gif

I prefer to just stick the postage stamp and address label right on the book or slab and ship it out. Seems to work nicely for me and saves on shipping costs and packing material.

BTW. Anyone interested in some HG books I have for sale? I ship fast insane.gifgrin.gif

Me, me, me, me, me tongue.gif

Etc...

sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Oh hell, I agree with you completely! Just do that and it works wonders! cloud9.gif

"Anyone interested in some HG books I have for sale" SURE! ASM!!!!!!!!!!

makepoint.gif

I use a large serrated knife to cut the cardboard up. Just be careful!

I use my new porcelain blade knife my grammy got me fer christmas, as well as a new pig sticker, rig, brass knuckles and co 893censored-thumb.gifk ring. yay.gif