• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PSA to start grading comics?

54 posts in this topic

BestOf7

Where do you come up with this stuff. Even MW didn't put this spin on the WIWAG situation. WiWAG was tampering with the PSA slabs and switching cards. They were caught by the FBI with the help of PSA. PSA was not helping WIWAG! WIWAG has since been forced to buy back any cards they tampered with. If your friend had a fake card in a PSA holder that was not tampered with then it was a mistake, and PSA would buy it back at full market price. PSA stands behind the cards they grade.

Does any other grading service besides C-G-C color code their labels? I mean out of coins, cards, whatever -

Also can antone in class remind us of who first wanted a third party grading service for comics?

Beyond magazines, what other collectibles should we encapsulate?

C-G-C good, everyone else bad frown.gif

Fraudulant cards are still being discovered (fraud=trimmed, fake, etc.). These cards are PSA graded, and show no signs of tampering. Two scenarios; the first is that someone is grading cards outside of the PSA operation, and PSA knows about it and the other is that there are fraudulant holders available in the open market. Either scenario is frightening. I don't recall the exact thread, and don't know for certain whether the person is a PSA-hater, but I do know that a friend of mine had doubts about a card he purchased on ebay, and that it may have been a fake, and after this scandal, he found out is was in fact a fake. That holder did not show any signs of tampering, and it was a PSA graded card. 893naughty-thumb.gif

BestOf7,

Along with your statements above, you made the following statement earlier:

"I recall PSA's activity in that scandal as being the equivalent of CGC giving its tag and slab equipment to a comic shop, and the comic shop getting caught for slabbing eveything with great scores -- in some cases, even sticking a blue label on a restored comic."

What I'm saying is, "where is the proof that PSA was involved in it and gave their tag and slab equipment to a card shop"? Or, where is the proof that more cards are being discovered that show absolutely no signs of tampering? I'm not suggesting that it's not a bad situation. It's just that I haven't seen anything so far to suggest that PSA was involved in the scandal.

BTW: since when do you take comments from CGC-haters any less seriously?

Since always. If I know that someone is a CGC-hater and they make comments against CGC, I ALWAYS take that statement with a grain of salt.....since the opinion is likely to have a biased slant to it. Same goes for proponents of CGC......since their opinion is likely to have a biased slant in the opposite direction.

Like I said, I don't know squat about PSA or the card industry......but that also let's me give an unbiased opinion based on the information that is provided. If you can provide information contrary to what the situation seems like to me, I'd be happy to read it.

BestOf7

Where do you come up with this stuff. Even MW didn't put this spin on the WIWAG situation. WiWAG was tampering with the PSA slabs and switching cards. They were caught by the FBI with the help of PSA. PSA was not helping WIWAG! WIWAG has since been forced to buy back any cards they tampered with. If your friend had a fake card in a PSA holder that was not tampered with then it was a mistake, and PSA would buy it back at full market price. PSA stands behind the cards they grade.

That's also what I'm understanding after reading the factual information that's been provided in this thread so far.

Does any other grading service besides C-G-C color code their labels? I mean out of coins, cards, whatever -

BGS (Beckett Grading Service) for cards uses a "white, bronze, silver, gold"

for their grades...where white is low-to-mid, and bronze, silver, and gold

are used like the Olympics, for the high grades.

Coincidentally, BGS also uses a 10-point system, but only utilizes

half-points...so there are 9.0, 9.5, and 10.0...

not like the 0.2 increments that CGC uses.

PSA (for cards) only uses full-point increments on a 10-point scale,

so 8, 9, 10 leave a whole lot of room for arguments/disappointment.

We should be happy we can actually argue CGC 9.2 vs 9.4 vs 9.6 vs 9.8

since PSA users have just been getting "PSA 9" for years...

That's what sank the collectible sports market, in part

Actually, what sank the graded sportscard market was speculators picking up their belongings and moving onto another "sure-fire hot thing".

It had nothing to do with more grading companies, and the additional options, lower prices and faster service actually invigorated the hobby.

That said, nothing stays "HOT" forever, and that's a fact many need to understand.

Agree, Joe, that speculators pulling up stakes and moving on to Beanie Babies or whatever helped cause the sports card "crash." But don't you think part of the reason the speculators moved on was that with 7 or 8 slabbing companies all spewing out conflicting info in the form of cards with grades that were all over the place, the average collector/fan was hesitant to trust any of them, and as a result, those speculators' investments began to stall big-time?

I still think multiple slabbing companies is a very mixed blessing; good for driving down the cost of such services, bad for establishing the 'true' value of a given comic, when prospective buyers don't know which slabbing service to trust, if any...

Agree, Joe, that speculators pulling up stakes and moving on to Beanie Babies or whatever helped cause the sports card "crash." But don't you think part of the reason the speculators moved on was that with 7 or 8 slabbing companies all spewing out conflicting info...

Not really, as there is a certain group of mad-money speculators who will enter any "new market" (like CGC) and try and make a killing at it. When the prospects start drying up, and prices dip, they're gone in a flash.

They've already left the CGC market for the most part, but some still exist on the CGC 9.6 fringes, as there's still cash to be made there.

A new grading company or two can't change the Non-Key Crash, as it already happened, and margins are tight everwhere but "Greggy Land" where our Forum Legend blows off CGC 9.6-9.8 Keys for ungodly amounts of money. Once that to dries up, then the remainder of the specs will jump ship and we'll see how many basic collectors remain....

The best thing to happen to the graded comics market would be if PSA started grading comics. Until SGC and Beckett entered the graded card market PSA was in the same position as CGC is now. Once these other respected companies gained support, prices came down and turn around times improved dramatically. PSA has the clout to be an impact player. I don't think another grading company would "confuse" the market. In the card market there are over 20 different grading companies, but only PSA, SGC and to a lesser extent GAI and Beckett have any following. That's because the rest of the companies are garbage. With CGC being the only comic grading company, there is plenty of room for competition. As long as the competition is respected and established.

The term Bob Schreck coined for those passing from cards to comics because they were more profitable was "cardvestites".

I think competition would be healthy for CgC, but I hope they pick different initials than ANY combination of C's and G's.

And 3's and P's and E's and now I'm just being silly.

Remember the guy you would take your books for grading, or the pal you took along to the deal, just so you were covered? In case you didn't notice a flaw or first appearance? That guy is still Steve Borock. Only trapped in a gigolo's body with a pick pocket smile. WHO ON EARTH HAS THAT MUCH CHARISMA, baby?

589a8aed8a956_202067-openphantomlady.jpg.6848f9114dfd5eaf5b8d5c7455fc36c6.jpg

the one area where another grading company could improve over cgc is down grading for mis wrapped or off-centered covers.that is the one thing where i dis agree with cgcs grading,but other than that cgc is the best and i will stay with them.i have as much of a chance to leave cgc for another grading company as jc has to get some of his books slabbed grin.gif

CGC has to also start down grading for production creases 'cause there isn't anything worse than receiving that 9.8 book that you paid 15 times guide for and seeing these production creases on them.

Tod