• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank R. Paul

63 posts in this topic

I just received SUPERWORLD #1 yesterday, and thought this would be a good time to start a Frank R. Paul post. His comic book work is quite limited, but because of the close link between pulps and comics, and because of his monumental work on the MARVEL #1 cover, I thought his work would fit in.

I was happy to find out that Paul did the interior art in SUPERWORLD #1 for a strip called "Mitey Powers", a panel of which i have included a photo of. Not the greatest story of the golden age, but for a Paul fan like me, it is a great find. (I have the second and third issue on hold awaiting payment, and when I get those I will post those covers).

Feel free to post your fav Paul covers, Paul-inspired covers or original Paul art... anybody else out there collect Paul's pulp work? anybody have a nice MARVEL #1?

I'll be posting the best Paul covers in my collection ... and there are some great ones. Included in this post are a photo of an original B&W illo he did for Famous Fantastic Mysteries, as well as a great space-bug Amazing Stories cover, and his only cover for Marvel Science Stories (Timely pulp) .

A fantastic index of Paul's work can be found at:

http://www.frankwu.com/paul1.html

Hope you enjoy ! 1263573-amstoriesfebPOST.jpg

1263573-marvelnovPOST.jpg.890a550e3984fe27b9c8d4cd0b767fe0.jpg

Thanks for posting these images RyanH. I'm a big fan of Paul's work. I was thrilled a few years back to see some of his originals in the Pulp Art show at the Brooklyn Museum. Really excellent, detailed work. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks for posting these images RyanH. I'm a big fan of Paul's work. I was thrilled a few years back to see some of his originals in the Pulp Art show at the Brooklyn Museum. Really excellent, detailed work. Keep 'em coming!

Glad to post them, dmgscr. I think Paul is a bit underrated, so I am going to use this opportunity to get his work spread even further if possible.

I too saw that pulp cover Robert Lesser collection show in Brooklyn years ago (I am West Coast Canada, but was lucky enough to be there on business)... seeing the 12 or so Paul originals (not to mention the rest of the paintings!) made my decade!! It was an amazing show. It truly blew my mind.

Here is another of my Paul favorites, done around the time he did MARVEL #1. Love the alien... and the couple in the foreground ready to take it down.

Will keep the covers coming... if anyone has any requests for Amazing, Wonder or Science Wonder covers, I'll try to oblige. 1263934-scifiPOST.jpg

1263934-scifiPOST.jpg.9b1612b253c8804cf51fabb7d3ad82c9.jpg

A fantastic index of Paul's work can be found at:

http://www.frankwu.com/paul1.html

OT, but, if you go to Frank Wu's homepage, and scroll about halfway down the art, there's a link on the right side to a painting named "Event Horizon."

Or if you're lazy, click here.

I wrote that story. My previous stories had awful art so I asked that Frank do the art for this story since he's a friend and I knew he'd do a good job. I later bought the original painting.

SUPERWORLD COMICS #1 1263579-supwrld1POST.jpg

Congrats!! Nice looking copy. That's a book you don't see every day . headbang.gif

Its nicer looking than it actually is, but has great eye appeal. Did a cash/trade with METRO. Detached at bottom staple, and dirty front and back covers, but the paper quality is nice, and its complete!! Its got some really fun stories inside. You can't beat Paul's famous martians (he used those on many a pulp cover).

Nice thread, RH!

I don't think I have any Paul comics but here are a couple pulp covers.

MarvelScience2.jpg

MarvelScience3.jpg

Nice thread, RH!

I don't think I have any Paul comics but here are a couple pulp covers.

MarvelScience2.jpg

MarvelScience3.jpg

Oh man. Nice copies adamstrange!!! That Paul MARVEL cover kicks my copy's butt!! They are both beaut's!!! I own both, but they are nowhere near as nice as those. hail.gif

I will try to get around to posting more covers soon... super busy with work.

Great cover choices, ArAich!! I especially like the floating "space gem", with the dead birds lying around on the ground. That pulp was the first Amazing Stories Paul cover I owned.

I'm posting two more covers, this time SCIENCE WONDER STORIES... both with space ship themes. The first:

Early UFO cover, from November 1930. 1269194-sciwonderPOSTnov30.jpg

1269194-sciwonderPOSTnov30.jpg.509fd5f9ffb13e44f7433d9dc2854bbf.jpg

...secondly, an early space walk cover from Fall of 1929. This pulp is a good 3/4" thick!

By the way, the background cover is not brown, its actually a gold metallic ink, and has a really nice effect. 1269196-sciwonderPOSTfall29.jpg

1269196-sciwonderPOSTfall29.jpg.4a1e4875e0998729b0976d782875bc2e.jpg

...secondly, an early space walk cover from Fall of 1929. This pulp is a good 3/4" thick!

By the way, the background cover is not brown, its actually a gold metallic ink, and has a really nice effect. 1269196-sciwonderPOSTfall29.jpg

There's a few GA books with silver-tinted ink so I know what you're talking about. It must be beautiful in person!

Great cover choices, ArAich!! I especially like the floating "space gem", with the dead birds lying around on the ground. That pulp was the first Amazing Stories Paul cover I owned.

I'm posting two more covers, this time SCIENCE WONDER STORIES... both with space ship themes. The first:

Early UFO cover, from November 1930. 1269194-sciwonderPOSTnov30.jpg

Julie Schwartz liked to develop comic stories around a cover concept -- I wouldn't be surprised if this is where he got the idea.