• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Squarebound Books and CGC?

15 posts in this topic

I've been wondering as I've watched the census #'s go up and up on ASM 200, has anyone seen a squarebound book out there that's graded above 9.8? I ask this b/c I'm beginning to believe 9.8 may be a squarebound equivalent of a "10.0". I believe that due to the nature of the glued spines, that none of these books even came off the presses in 10.0 condition. Has anyone found a 9.9 or 10.0 squarebound? CGC, is it possible to have a 10.0 squarebound?

Brian

Yeah - and they are also hard as heck to grade. What I have called a 7.5, CGC calls a 8.5, what I call a 8, cgc calls a 9.0-9.2...

The spine waviness probably kills it for me...

DKR was squarebound in a new way that seems worse than the old way from a condition standpoint. It has vertical grooves built into the paper which run parallel to the spine...as soon as you open the cover too wide, the color cracks along those grooves.

it has vertical grooves built into the paper which run parallel to the spine

The same problem with magazine annuals. I have a collection of Street and Smith Baseball magazine annuals. These aren't stapled like most older magazine two and three staple issues.

These have usually 8 to 12 equal sections of pages of about 12 pages each. These sections are layed one on top of the other and then glued at the common spine area with the cover wrapped around them completing the magazine.

When a piece of spine splits or lifts off the square edge, the sections are revealed. These are very difficult to procure in high grade and the only existing true "Near Mint" issues stemmed from a warehouse "find".

I believe it was a buyout of Manny's Sportsland and there were thousands upon thousands of sports-related magazines, yearbooks, etc.

Wow! That's a pretty sweet book! I didn't even know this series had 25 cent giants lumped into the regular run instead of putting them out as annuals.

So the question remains, can a glued squarebound get anything better than a 9.8? CGC?

The question was answered by Bruce........Giant-Size Superstars #1.