• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Main goal of your collection?

29 posts in this topic

Complete run of WDC&S 31 - 312; Uncle Scrooge 1 - 71, basically all the Barks duck books w/original stories (including the four colors). Beyond that, simply owning a lot of pieces of history!

I've still got about 1,500 comics at my parents house in wretched condition that I haven't touched since I was a kid.

When I started to dabble in comics again, I decided to keep my main goal simple and attainable without spending a ton of time putting it together. My goal is to collect the 25 or so comics that my brother and I first owned as kids in CGC high grade. Preferably 9.4 or better.....but none lower than 9.0 if at all possible. Once that is accomplished, then I'll start to gather some of the other issues I remember fondly from my childhood.

I'm taking my time and just doing it as an enjoyable collecting alternative to my other interests. I don't check eBay daily.......sometimes I don't even check it weekly.......and I'll only occasionally check out dealer websites. But, again, I'm not in a huge hurry to complete my goal. I'm just enjoying getting back into the hobby a little bit and pick up a few of the new titles each month to read and enjoy.

The best part about my collecting........I do ABSOLUTELY NO SPECULATING.......I buy the books because I want them and want to keep them. I don't care if they all drop down to being worth less than a nickel.......to me, they're still the same books if they do. smile.gif

I was only going to quote a small part of your response....But after reading it again....You've left me with nothing else to say....... smile.gif

Why's that? Is this similar to what you're doing? smile.gif

I've still got about 1,500 comics at my parents house in wretched condition that I haven't touched since I was a kid.

When I started to dabble in comics again, I decided to keep my main goal simple and attainable without spending a ton of time putting it together. My goal is to collect the 25 or so comics that my brother and I first owned as kids in CGC high grade. Preferably 9.4 or better.....but none lower than 9.0 if at all possible. Once that is accomplished, then I'll start to gather some of the other issues I remember fondly from my childhood.

I'm taking my time and just doing it as an enjoyable collecting alternative to my other interests. I don't check eBay daily.......sometimes I don't even check it weekly.......and I'll only occasionally check out dealer websites. But, again, I'm not in a huge hurry to complete my goal. I'm just enjoying getting back into the hobby a little bit and pick up a few of the new titles each month to read and enjoy.

The best part about my collecting........I do ABSOLUTELY NO SPECULATING.......I buy the books because I want them and want to keep them. I don't care if they all drop down to being worth less than a nickel.......to me, they're still the same books if they do. smile.gif

I was only going to quote a small part of your response....But after reading it again....You've left me with nothing else to say....... smile.gif

Why's that? Is this similar to what you're doing? smile.gif

Although not EXACTLY what I'm doing......very similar indeed smirk.gif

Since when I was a kid wasn't too long ago (aka I really collected in 88-93 and came back with a vengence after Spider-Man) I was able to get full runs of all the titles that I collected in that time frame. Actually I spent a lot less money getting those runs now than I did getting partial runs when I was buying them for cover from the local store! Oh well . . .

My collecting goal is to have the ultimate "Batman / Batman" collection - all the comics first and foremost, but I am slowly but surely building an original art portfolio of Batman title pages (so far splashes and panel pages - no covers yet).

After that I have full runs of Action and Detective that I am toying with.

For the most part, I prefer only the VG/F to FN/VF copies because those are (1) easy to find (making the notion of getting a full run a reality) and (2) they are SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than the HG copies.

DAM

One day I will get that B&B #28 in 9.6.

How much do you think that would cost if it surfaced?

Hate to say this but I reckon it would go in the region of $40 to $60 k (assuming it is the only one). frown.gif

Beavis and Butthead is THAT valuable?

Dang, there are more rich teenagers than I thought!

I'll always keep an ongoing comic collection because unlike some of the elitists that lurk here smile.gif I actually buy new books too.

However when it comes to old issues my main goals are to:

1) Finish up my Alan Moore backissue collection. Every little scrap he has ever written in comic book format will be collected by me.

2) Fill in a few missing issues from my #94-150 Bronze X-men run. Will probably wait until the movies are a distant memory before I go back and buy the few I am still missing. I'm patient.

3) Collect EVERY single issue of the original EC tales from the crypt in 7.5 grade or higher. It will take me years to save up the dough to finish this one off.

4) Fill in silver/bronze keys that are important to me (like avengers #4, iron man #55) i'm still missing quite a bit.

I estimate i'll complete this collection in at least another 10 years but it will be pretty costly.

Wow... this is a good thread. I actually had to think about this for a while.

I buy about 15 to 20 titles a month, many of which I unfortunately never read. Any book that becomes "hot" gets flipped to get cash for silver/bronze Marvels.

About six or seven years ago I started buying up a lot of silver and bronze age Marvels and later DCs. At first I bought in whatever grade I could, and later became obsessed with high grade. Then after I graduated law school, I completely dismantled my collection. I sold off almost everything and have only in the last year begun to rebuild my collection.

Mostly what I seek now are books that I really, really enjoyed. One of the things that I've focussed on is putting together runs of great books from the 70s and 80s that would be considered "common" but are some of the best art and stories. And now, with the current state of the market, these are some of the most affordable, but quality, books out there. For instance, the John Byrne/George Perez late 70s, early 80s Avengers books. It's not as easy as you'd think to build a full 9.0 and up run of those books. It's certainly doable, but not as easy as I thought. I've completed the Simonson Thor, John Byrne FF, Miller Daredevil, Miller written Batman issues and Master of Kung Fu... to name some of thems. I still want to acquire a full run of Conan (especially all the Barry Windsor Smith issues...), a full run of any Kirby drawn TOSs, all the Kirby, Romita, and Buscema FFs...

But there's another portion of books that I've assembled through the dollar boxes. Superman: Man of Steel 1-6, Ron Lim Silver Surfers (although I went through the dollar boxes this past weekend in Philly and couldn't find 17 and 18... in anyone's box dollar or not. I finally got them at around full guide, but they were beautiful copies), Buscema Avengers from 250-300, McFarlane Amazing Spidermans (not through the dollar boxes) and X-Men from 200 on up (cause I remember these as a kid)... I now want books I remember as a kid, even if they're not worth anything, and I want them in NM cause they're all attainable easily in that shape.

What I realized was that I went about collecting all wrong the first time around. I had money and just blew all of it on books without enjoying any of them. You have to enjoy those books because otherwise they're just expensive pieces of paper. My only goal now is to assemble a group of books I love, and won't ever want to sell.

Back when I was collecting, my goal was to get every Wonder Woman appearance (grade was never important). This meant a full run of her title, as well as all the other titles she appeared in like Sensation Comics, All Star Squadron, Comic Cavalcade, JLA, etc. I never achieved it, of course (it would take quite a long time and tons of money to actually complete it), but did get a full run of her second series, got from 100 up of her first series, and about 40 GA Sensation & WW books. I also got most of the first series JLAs, most of the Brave & Bold, and all sorts of guest shots in things like Jerry Lewis, Lois Lane, etc. Post-crisis was easier and I found most if not all of those crossovers.

Although I've sold off quite a few of these issues, I can always start again when I have the spare cash.

-- Joanna