• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Trek Gold Key - Full Run - Ins. Appraisal Amount ??

20 posts in this topic

Hello all

I need help from some of the comic pro`s in determining what amount i should insure my set of STAR TREK GOLD KEY comics.

This is a full set of 61. The following grades were not determined by me. But rather by those dealers from which i purchased them from.

1) CGC 7.5 (VF-)

2) F+

3) CGC 7.5 (VF-)

4) CGC 6.5 (F+)

5) F/VF

6) VF

7) F+

8) VF-

9) VF

10) VF+

11) NM

12) FN/VF

13) CGC 8.0 (VF)

14) VF/NM

15) CGC 9.4 (NM)

16) FN/VF

17) VF

18) VF+

19) NM

20) FN

21) NM

22) VF/NM

23) VF/NM

24) VF/NM

25) NM

26) VF/NM

27) VF/NM

28) NM

29) NM

30) VF/NM

31) VF+

32) NM

33) VF+

34) VF/NM

35) VF

36) VF+

37) VF

38) NM

39) NM

40) NM

41) NM

42) VF/NM

43) VF/NM

44) NM

45) NM

46) NM

47) VF

48) VF+

49) VF-

50) NM

51) NM

52) VF/NM

53) VF/NM

54) VF/NM

55) VF

56) VF/NM

57) VF/NM

58) VF/NM

59) VF+

60) NM

61 VF

Any help or comments would be great !

Your Friend, LEE

Hello all

I need help from some of the comic pro`s in determining what amount i should insure my set of STAR TREK GOLD KEY comics.

This is a full set of 61. The following grades were not determined by me. But rather by those dealers from which i purchased them from.

1) CGC 7.5 (VF-)

2) F+

3) CGC 7.5 (VF-)

4) CGC 6.5 (F+)

5) F/VF

6) VF

7) F+

8) VF-

9) VF

10) VF+

11) NM

12) FN/VF

13) CGC 8.0 (VF)

14) VF/NM

15) CGC 9.4 (NM)

16) FN/VF

17) VF

18) VF+

19) NM

20) FN

21) NM

22) VF/NM

23) VF/NM

24) VF/NM

25) NM

26) VF/NM

27) VF/NM

28) NM

29) NM

30) VF/NM

31) VF+

32) NM

33) VF+

34) VF/NM

35) VF

36) VF+

37) VF

38) NM

39) NM

40) NM

41) NM

42) VF/NM

43) VF/NM

44) NM

45) NM

46) NM

47) VF

48) VF+

49) VF-

50) NM

51) NM

52) VF/NM

53) VF/NM

54) VF/NM

55) VF

56) VF/NM

57) VF/NM

58) VF/NM

59) VF+

60) NM

61 VF

Any help or comments would be great !

Your Friend, LEE

I have a nice Overstreet guide for sale on eBay! flowerred.gif

you made the post--and I only replied. No one knows what you you are inquiring about

He want's to know their value. gossip.gif

That's what a guide is for! thumbsup2.gif

anyone that has a full run of comics certainly knows about the comics price guide--just wondering what this guy is after?? confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyone who lets dealers do the grading for them isn't that experienced with collecting comics. shy.gif

anyone that has a full run of comics certainly knows about the comics price guide--just wondering what this guy is after?? confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyone who lets dealers do the grading for them isn't that experienced with collecting comics. shy.gif

First thing he needs to do if these grades were assigned from the sellers is to instantly mark them all down 1 to 2 notches or get a grading guide and do it himself.

Kenglo

Informative replies is what i`m after !

And you`ve made 3 replies and have not said sh_t !

Priceguides are guidelines, maybe someone on this board had some experience with selling or insuring this set. Never hurts to ask.

Or were you taking a cheap shot at me when you ask "what are you insuring these for" ??

I`m a 48 yr. old working man. and putting together this set with these grades IS NOT CHEAP !

So i wonder, just what are you trying to say ??

LEE

Kenglo

Informative replies is what i`m after !

And you`ve made 3 replies and have not said sh_t !

Priceguides are guidelines, maybe someone on this board had some experience with selling or insuring this set. Never hurts to ask.

Or were you taking a cheap shot at me when you ask "what are you insuring these for" ??

I`m a 48 yr. old working man. and putting together this set with these grades IS NOT CHEAP !

So i wonder, just what are you trying to say ??

LEE

For insurance purposes I'd use the Overstreet guide on raw books which I'm assuming these are. If you were actually selling them, you probably wouldn't get guide price unless they were truly HG demonstrated by large clear scans or CGC'd. Just my experience.

I would probably add up the guide value for the grades and then add up what you actually paid and use the higher of the two. If you have saved reciepts or proof of what you paid, I would keep those handy in case you ever needed to make a claim.

I dont mean to insult you but if you are 48 years old you know about OverStreetPriceGuide. I was just curious if you were inquiring about insurance for shippig these somewhere or for your own protection.

For the love of Pete, someone comes on here actually seeking some useful information and all you jokers do is put him down? Give me a break.

To the original poster:

First, ignore all the noise in this thread. You did not deserve such treatment.

Second, do not let anyone make light of your accomplishment. That run of books anywhere near the grades you have them is one to be proud of. No one has any idea how hard it is to do something like that until they try.

As for your question...There were some good comments about Overstreet and possible/probable overgrading. While the guide is a good tool and you should consult one, I would take a slightly different approach.

Certainly, for insurance purposes, you are looking to insure for replacement value. The other choice is to insure them for their actual cost, which is what you paid for them. Replacement value makes the "actual" grades of the book irrelevant. If you bought a VF/NM #22, you want to replace it with a VF/NM #22, and it does not matter that it might come back F/VF from CGC.

The best way to find replacement value is to find what it would cost to buy the books at dealers' asking prices. For the non-CGC books, I would head right on over to MileHighComics.com and add up Chuck's non-sale prices on all your books in the grade higher than what you have them. For NM books, even add more. It's rare to get a true NM book from MileHigh.

For the CGC books, you really need a GP Analysis subscription to get a feel for what they would cost or have sold for in the past. Without that, I would use the prices on Mile High for two full grades above that you have. For the CGC 9.4 you have, I would use whatever you feel comfortable with. That's going to be very hard to replace.

For comparision, you could look at the prices other major dealers want as well. MileHigh is convenient because you can get base prices for books that are not even in stock.

This is going to add up to a very high number, because MileHigh's base prices are not terribly realistic. You should feel free to adjust this number lower. MH books are often available at less than half those base prices.

I dont mean to insult you but if you are 48 years old you know about OverStreetPriceGuide. I was just curious if you were inquiring about insurance for shippig these somewhere or for your own protection.

Just because you know of the Overstreet Guide it does not mean that everyone else does.

In the mid 90's I purchased a full run of X-files comics including all the variants mail away copies etc. Most of my collection is in the 9.4+ range but It was not until 2003 that I even knew about the Overstreet guide.

I knew about keeping my comics in pristine condition by using bags & boards but it was only by chance that I found out about the guide when I signed up for E-bay.

Some collectors never become part of the direct collecting community. I know of several people in Australia that have collected the Frew Phantom books each week since the 1960's. They just turn up at the local Newsagency each week & pick up there bag containing that weeks issue.

To be honest these people probably wouldn't even know that Marvel comics was a big player in the comics game.

Russ... popcorn.gif

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on your accomplishment.

Second, if these are the grades determined by the seller, immediately suspect it. I say this because some dealer's grading is better than others and grading is SUBJECTIVE. Have a trusted third party collector/dealer do this. Once complete, I would have probably two numbers--the Overstreet Guide value, and actual replacement cost of these issues. In most cases, replacement cost is more appropriate...which is what I would want to go with in an insurance scenario, not a hypothetical cost. Overstreet can also vastly under or over estimate the value of any comic--plus it is a snapshot in time that is AT LEAST a year old when you use the latest guide.

As for CGC certified issues, I agree with another poster to go with GP Analysis for an actual number there...GPA is essentially Overstreet done in Internet time for CGC comics. Again replacement cost would be my focus. It is a subscription based service (not free) but you may be able to find someone that can help out since you are not entirely focussed on certified books. http://www.gpanalysis.com

Hope this helps.