• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

October's revolving door collection...

144 posts in this topic

Here is a book you don't see too often unless you frequent the gold forum. LB Cole's cover art led me to this relatively obscure 40s superhero series, and it has really grabbed me. I am thinking of going for a full run at some point down the road. This cover in particular is fantastic. It has the often-used "Pieta" pose (this was one of the first comics to use it), but with some great added touches. I particularly like the way the snow looks, especially the swirls against the black cover which almost appear 3-D at some points. This holds the dubious distinction of being the most I have currently paid for a single issue. $275 isn't a TON of money, but it still had me sweating...

catman31.jpg

<snip> but it still had me sweating...

But it sure turned out to be money well spent. That's one heck of a copy you scored. I cloud9.gif that cover as well. Reminds of some Finlay work. I nominated that cover for the GA contest. 893applaud-thumb.gif

But it sure turned out to be money well spent. That's one heck of a copy you scored. I cloud9.gif that cover as well. Reminds of some Finlay work. I nominated that cover for the GA contest. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Mike. I am thrilled with it. cloud9.gif

I didn't know this Steranko Hulk cover even existed up until about 2 months ago. Someone posted a FOOM lot and there it was. I BINed a copy off eBay a few minutes later, and it arrived in significantly better shape than advertised. I think the seller said it was a F/VF. Sterako only did three Hulk covers that I can think of, but in my opinion they rank amongst the best images ever produced for that character.

FOOM.jpg

Here is one of my favorite Frazetta covers. This issue had poor distribution (I know, I know) and can be problematic to find. I spent quite awhile trolling eBay for a nice one, as I refused to pay $40-50 for the raw copies that came up every month or so. I finally hit paydirt, and BINed this one a few minutes after the auction started for $15. Creepy, Eerie, and a bunch of other magazines seem to be overlooked by the collecting community at large. I think that's a real shame, as the interior stories are better than average, and the covers often sport top-notch art by Frazetta, Boris, Sanjulian, Wrightson, Jones and others. People don't know what they are missing!

creepy32.jpg

Great books as always!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Where's the tec 400? grin.gif

Ask and ye shall receive. tongue.gif

Here is my precious. I bought it not long ago from a well know Batman buyer on eBay and these boards. I paid about $170 for it, and thought I was insane for doing so. I now know that if I hadn't, I would still be kicking myself. It's a great copy and grades out at about NM-, with only two or three stress marks on the back. I love this Adams cover, and the interior art and story are fantastic as well. Can't say enough good things about this run.

tec4001.jpg

Great books as always!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Where's the tec 400? grin.gif

Ask and ye shall receive. tongue.gif

Here is my precious. I bought it not long ago from a well know Batman buyer on eBay and these boards. I paid about $170 for it, and though I was insane for doing so. I now know that if I hadn't, I would still be kicking myself. It's a great copy and grades out at about NM-, with only two or three stress marks on the back. I love this Adams cover, and the interior art and story are fantastic as well. Can't say enough good things about this run.

tec4001.jpg

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Big thanks to MrHighGrade for putting this issue off my wantlist permanently. It's a tough book in VF or above, and this copy looks great. He had it at VF- (I put it at VF), but it's the best looking 8.0 I can imagine. Some subtle, non color-breaking dents bring it down. This is one of my all-time favorite Adams covers. Very moody. The stories in these issues are also above average.

tec402final.jpg

Sweet books, October! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I got this one at a small Chicago show about 6 months ago. This was the last one I needed to finish the Dark Mansion and Sinister House four issue runs. I like the gothic romance/horror thing, too bad DC didn't make more. This one is around VF/NM and I only paid $26 for it. I was shocked, as those two series are usually WAY overpriced at cons.

dmfl4.jpg

Thanks Mike. I am thrilled with it. cloud9.gif

I didn't know this Steranko Hulk cover even existed up until about 2 months ago. Someone posted a FOOM lot and there it was. I BINed a copy off eBay a few minutes later, and it arrived in significantly better shape than advertised. I think the seller said it was a F/VF. Sterako only did three Hulk covers that I can think of, but in my opinion they rank amongst the best images ever produced for that character.

FOOM.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

do you have any pics from it's itnerior?! never saw one of these FOOM myself frown.gif

regards

Here is a book you don't see too often unless you frequent the gold forum. LB Cole's cover art led me to this relatively obscure 40s superhero series, and it has really grabbed me. I am thinking of going for a full run at some point down the road. This cover in particular is fantastic. It has the often-used "Pieta" pose (this was one of the first comics to use it), but with some great added touches. I particularly like the way the snow looks, especially the swirls against the black cover which almost appear 3-D at some points. This holds the dubious distinction of being the most I have currently paid for a single issue. $275 isn't a TON of money, but it still had me sweating...

catman31.jpg

893whatthe.gif that's a fantastic cover and a comic in gorgeous shape, congrats October!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

how's the interior story/art?!

regards

Just wanted to say great stuff Andy. I was looking at an old want list of mine from about '93 and saw Catman 31 on it. I used to formulate want lists based on the Gerber photos with stars by the must have coolest covers and this was a double star. Just awesome.

Here is a book you don't see too often unless you frequent the gold forum. LB Cole's cover art led me to this relatively obscure 40s superhero series, and it has really grabbed me. I am thinking of going for a full run at some point down the road.

To be honest, Andy, you will grow old trying to finish a run of Catman...most of the issues are rarely for sale in any condition. It's without a doubt one of the very toughest superhero runs to complete, and some folks out there have been trying for a much longer time than we have. You're right though, it's a really fun title...welcome aboard!

And, congrats again on snagging that #31. It's a real beauty! hail.gif

Here is a book you don't see too often unless you frequent the gold forum. LB Cole's cover art led me to this relatively obscure 40s superhero series, and it has really grabbed me. I am thinking of going for a full run at some point down the road.

To be honest, Andy, you will grow old trying to finish a run of Catman...most of the issues are rarely for sale in any condition. It's without a doubt one of the very toughest superhero runs to complete, and some folks out there have been trying for a much longer time than we have. You're right though, it's a really fun title...welcome aboard!

Yeah, it's tough, but you can do it if you give yourself 5 or 10 years. I just picked up a couple of Cat-Man focused fanzines that give a real scarcity index. Three or four are super hard to find, but the rest pop up fairly regularly.

Yeah, it's tough, but you can do it if you give yourself 5 or 10 years. I just picked up a couple of Cat-Man focused fanzines that give a real scarcity index. Three or four are super hard to find, but the rest pop up fairly regularly.

Good luck. Catman 13 is probably in the top-10 hardest of all GA books to find and routinely goes for 3x-4x Guide in all grades. You put together a Catman run, that's an impressive feat.

Good luck. Catman 13 is probably in the top-10 hardest of all GA books to find and routinely goes for 3x-4x Guide in all grades. You put together a Catman run, that's an impressive feat.

That's one of the interesting things about the fanzine numbers, 13 isn't the toughest by his count. I think the perceived scarcity of that issue drew a lot of copies out of permanent collections. I don't have it in front of me, but when I get home I will post a scan of the page from the zine.

That's one of the interesting things about the fanzine numbers, 13 isn't the toughest by his count. I think the perceived scarcity of that issue drew a lot of copies out of permanent collections. I don't have it in front of me, but when I get home I will post a scan of the page from the zine.

Please do! thumbsup2.gif What does he say is the scarcest? 20?