• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Civil War variants - seriously worth this much?

58 posts in this topic

if i can interrupt for a second - you guys do know that "RARE" is only a fraction of the determining factor for value, don't you?

hell, there are thousands of truly RARE books out there that ain't worth jack squat. just because Marvel prints a couple thousand instead of a couple hundred thousand ain't guaranteeing future - five years from now, not nine months - value

if i can interrupt for a second - you guys do know that "RARE" is only a fraction of the determining factor for value, don't you?

hell, there are thousands of truly RARE books out there that ain't worth jack squat. just because Marvel prints a couple thousand instead of a couple hundred thousand ain't guaranteeing future - five years from now, not nine months - value

True. But the main question was "are civil war variants seriously worth this much?"

The answer is: Currently, apparently they are because that's what they are selling for.

Sure, everybody should know that it might not stay that way. It's like playing the stock market. Something can be high one day, but then drop drastically. Comic buying for value is always a risk and anyone getting into the hobby should understand that. Thats why, if I buy a variant for double figures, it's because I either a) love the book, or b) really like the cover. Sometimes I do take a chance with something, like paying triple digits for the complete set of Red Sonja variants, especially for the 1:300 RRP variant. I don't particularly like it, but I felt like taking the risk and I completely understand that I could lose money in the end; I'm just not that concerned. yeahok.gif

Yes, but you can change the DEMAND for a book. You can't change the SUPPLY.

Manufacturing DEMAND (especially artificially) is relatively simple.

I pretty much stop buying variants but I still buy a few here and there. Just the other day I bought a copy of Spider-man #1 Platinum edition for 50.00 bux. I probaly paid to much for it but it beats the 1000.00 bux they wanted at convetions years ago when it first came out. These manufactured collectibles want hold up after a few years...sure there will be a few rare exceptions but the exceptions are not the rule. If you want to invest into something, try getting a copy of Hulk 181 or Fantastic Four # 48.

Ray

It seems to me that in the long run variants will simply dilute whatever miniscule demand might exist for these titles. If there's no single iconic cover that everyone remembers then there's no real focus for feelings of nostalgia. Imagine if there were several different covers of FF#1 or Action #1. Would each individual version be as special?

It seems to me that in the long run variants will simply dilute whatever miniscule demand might exist for these titles. If there's no single iconic cover that everyone remembers then there's no real focus for feelings of nostalgia. Imagine if there were several different covers of FF#1 or Action #1. Would each individual version be as special?

There are way too many variants nowadays; agreed. 1 variant cover per title per year would still be too much.

But, variant covers are extremely popular right now, so they're going to stick around for a while.

But, variant covers are extremely popular right now, so they're going to stick around for a while.

Yeah like they did in the early 90's...and look what happened to the comic book market after that. foreheadslap.gif

Yeah like they did in the early 90's...and look what happened to the comic book market after that. foreheadslap.gif

I don't really know what happened to the market due to the early 90's. I stopped collecting in about 1994, and started up again 10 years later. confused-smiley-013.gif

What happened?

I don't really know what happened to the market due to the early 90's. I stopped collecting in about 1994, and started up again 10 years later. confused-smiley-013.gif

What happened?

It collapsed.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Take a wild guess.

Ignorance is bliss grin.gif

Looks like Ed McGuiness is up next for a Civil War cover for #3? According to Wizard Store...

25 per retailer

which, I dont know about you guys, is a wierd way for them to do a variant. I think this is a mistake of some sort:

Could be 1 in 25

Could be max 25 based on orders? confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Take a wild guess.

Um, all the stupid foil cover books never increased in value? confused-smiley-013.gif

Obviously whatever happened did not completely crash the comic book market, because silver age books are thriving. As you say JC, who cares about moderns, right?