• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally reading the Watchmen

15 posts in this topic

I am a marvel comics guy, reading very few DC books in my time but I kept hearing about this great read "The Watchmen" so I finally purchased the 12 issue series to read.

I have not finished it yet, but I have just read the 4th book about Dr. Manhatten and I must say that was one cool book. I usually only get time to read when I am going to bed, and last night I was late getting to bed so I debated reading the book. Usually I dont get through a single comic when I am tired and find I start to fall asleep before I get it done. In this case I found the read kept me up until I was done.

Kudos to you all on recommending the books, so far it has been all you said it would be.

Artboy99

Watchmen is a great story but Lighthouse made a good point about it -- the closer to 1986 you read it the better it was. In 1986 it was groundbreaking. In 2006 it's not that unique. The Watchmen formula is Comic Writing 101 these days.

Pay very close attention to the artwork. Look very closely at the panels especially crowd scenes and you will find some very cool stuff. I dont want to tell you anything specific but once you start to see them then I and others can clue you in on some really cool stuff in certain panels.

I envy you, reading Watchmen for the first time... and being able make it all the way through without going to sleep.

sleeping.gif

poke2.gif

My basic problem is that I didn't give a sh*t about ANY of the characters. They were all f*cked up. When I'm reading a comic, I have to like the characters. I didn't like any of them. Do they all die at the end? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

[i only made it 3/4 through before giving up and moving on to something else.]

Pay very close attention to the artwork. Look very closely at the panels especially crowd scenes and you will find some very cool stuff. I dont want to tell you anything specific but once you start to see them then I and others can clue you in on some really cool stuff in certain panels.

That was cool. And my local dealer told me about it when I bought it.

To tell the truth, I enjoyed the Black Freighter story more. At least that character was someone you could cheer for.

Sure he's floating home on a raft of dead bodies. And sure he (and the people he's trying to get to) are probably screwed. But at least that story was interesting!

To tell the truth, I enjoyed the Black Freighter story more. At least that character was someone you could cheer for.

I really enjoyed the writeup in the back of one of the issues that has an alternate history for EC/DC that leads up to the story behind "Black Freighter".

Comics have changed, I agree with stronguy that back in 1986 it was so different but I maintain it holds pretty well. And the Black Freighter story was so fantastic and the bio on Joe Orlando so believable I tried to find a comic with the Black Freighter in it. Thats good writing.

Watchmen is a great story but Lighthouse made a good point about it -- the closer to 1986 you read it the better it was. In 1986 it was groundbreaking. In 2006 it's not that unique. The Watchmen formula is Comic Writing 101 these days.

I quit collecting comics in 1986ish, so I missed this completely. I dont read all that many new comics even today as my collecting focus is to regain the comics of my childhood from silver age to bronze to very early 1980's. That said, almost anything from 1986- present day is new to me.

Artboy99

I envy you, reading Watchmen for the first time... and being able make it all the way through without going to sleep.

sleeping.gif

poke2.gif

My basic problem is that I didn't give a sh*t about ANY of the characters. They were all f*cked up. When I'm reading a comic, I have to like the characters. I didn't like any of them. Do they all die at the end? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

[i only made it 3/4 through before giving up and moving on to something else.]

it seems that the book kept Artboy99 up past his bedtime, he didn't fall asleep, and for referrence when I first read Watchmen it was around 1996. and the cold war 80's setting didn't turn me off at all.

Why would it?

Comics, like movies, are entertainment and can take place in any time period. Particularily if Dr. Manhatten is involved!

Artboy99

By Issue #6 you will be fully converted cloud9.gif

Watchmen was a great read regardless of when you read it. So what if the story is a formula, most of the stories nowadays are anyway.

Not everyone likes everything everyone else does. I for one find Planetary extremely boring, and the same with Preacher.

At least you attempt to read material you wouldn't noramlly read. thumbsup2.gif