• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I sold a book with undisclosed restoration

18 posts in this topic

Yes - all this talk about disclosure has gotten to me - and I must confess a crime that has long tormented me. When I was about 13 years old in the early 1970s, I bought a low grade squarebound Comic Cavalcade for around $3, and the cover slipped off while I was reading it, so I reglued it with Elmers. Within the year I sold it (probably at a huge 100% profit), and didn't bother telling the buyer I'd reglued the cover. What can I say, I was young, I didn't know it would be a big deal years later, a youthful indescretion if you will. I feel better now that I've gotten this off my chest, and hope that my fellow collectors will forgive this transgression. I probably overgraded a few books back then as well, calling what would now be recognized as an 8.0 a NM and the like. sorry.gif

Is there a statute on selling a book with indisclosed restoration? Or is it like murder where they can come after you decades later.

I recommend you find that buyer and give him back his $3.

When I was about 13 years old in the early 1970s

When I was 13 years old in the late 70s I didn't know what restro was.

All I knew was I hated tape (I had done a little tape work on books years earlier), and I didn't care much for folks who scibbled on the covers to cover up wear. I didn't know this scribbling was called color touch.

crazy.gif

thedarkknight

Don't take this all so seriously - in large part the point of my post was to illustrate the shifting attitudes and definitions or restoration over the years. I imagine hardly anyone who reglued a spine on a low grade squarebound in the early 1970s thought it was worth mentioning.

As Aces alludes to, amatuer color touch was not uncommon on inexpensive books 30 years ago- usually so obvious that I don't think it was always meant to decieve.

Which leads me to pressing - As recently as 10 years ago, I pressed the most of a large spine roll out of GA book - probably bringing it uo from a G/VG to a VG+, and when I sold it, it honestly did not occur to me that this procedure was worthy of notation. Nothing had been added or subtracted from the book, so even though it was obviously my intent to improve the appearance of the comic, I would in no way have considered it restoration. Seeing how controversial the procedure has become, I would disclose it if I were to do the same thing today.

darknight

I appreciate your rallying to my defense. I was not intending an "amatuer

psychology experiment". I was trusting that the mock seriousness of my mea culpa would be evident to all - my mistake.

I was defending you. Next time, just say what you mean instead of an amateur psyhology experiment.

get a sense of humour. or exercise the one you have a bit more.

i mean, just because i'll never buy from the thread starter as a result of his "confession," that doesn't mean a lot of others wouldn't

$3 ??? Oh no no no...$3 by 1970's standards, today is....hmmm...carry the 1....

$2,367,863 + interest...

Good luck with all that... wink.gif

So THAT'S why Bronze books are so expensive nowadays!

darknight

I appreciate your rallying to my defense. I was not intending an "amatuer

psychology experiment". I was trusting that the mock seriousness of my mea culpa ould be evident to all - my mistake.

It was very obvious, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Sometimes even well thought our sarcasm can be lost in type. Or not know the person doing the typing. Taken at face value I could see why some thought your post seroius.

But I am a well known smart arse ,so it was easy for me to the humor in your post.

Takes one to know one!

And yes we should all make an "EARL" list, make ammends for every book we sold. Basing that list of transgressions on knowing what we now know to be a no no.

Was that too many now, know's, and no's for one sentnce?

Ze-